Steppenpig

HOLA441
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Not tracked back as such but an interesting one on HUTH yesterday from 2014.

Guy buys a house in South Wales for £47,000 and plans to spend £20,000 and 6 weeks doing it up. The EA advises it could be worth about £95,000. When they came back 18 months later he'd actually spent £75,000 ripping the whole place out and was now getting EA valuations of £100,000-£110,000 on a total spend of £122,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04gvrp1/homes-under-the-hammer-series-18-episode-34

32:00 for auction and 50:00 for the return visit.

HOLA444
50 minutes ago, Bradbury Robinson said:

Not tracked back as such but an interesting one on HUTH yesterday from 2014.

Guy buys a house in South Wales for £47,000 and plans to spend £20,000 and 6 weeks doing it up. The EA advises it could be worth about £95,000. When they came back 18 months later he'd actually spent £75,000 ripping the whole place out and was now getting EA valuations of £100,000-£110,000 on a total spend of £122,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04gvrp1/homes-under-the-hammer-series-18-episode-34

32:00 for auction and 50:00 for the return visit.

38:50

"It seemed like a good place to start my property development career"

Start and end :lol:

I wonder if paying 40% over the guide price was what got him? :wacko: 

HOLA445
HOLA446

It's usually the case that whenever our intrepid property entrepreneur has overspent on the purchase price or the refurb costs (or both) then the post refurb EA valuation usually gets revised upwards from the original pre-purchase valuation, to ensure a healthy profit is still made (cue the uplifting music)... I've never seen an episode where this isn't the case.

This mug must have REALLY overspent for the second EA valuation to still not reward him with the profit he so richly deserves.

Edit - I'm also amazed they've admitted the refurb costs were so high, they're usually complete fantasy figures, I still remember one episode with a 3 bed semi which required everything doing, new windows, new roof, re plastered, re wired, new central heating, new kitchen, new bathroom, new carpets, biggish garden landscaped and new fencing, all work done by tradesman..... ''came in at just under £10,000 including all legal and purchase costs''.

Edited by nome

HOLA447
4 hours ago, nome said:

It's usually the case that whenever our intrepid property entrepreneur has overspent on the purchase price or the refurb costs (or both) then the post refurb EA valuation usually gets revised upwards from the original pre-purchase valuation, to ensure a healthy profit is still made (cue the uplifting music)... I've never seen an episode where this isn't the case.

This mug must have REALLY overspent for the second EA valuation to still not reward him with the profit he so richly deserves.

Edit - I'm also amazed they've admitted the refurb costs were so high, they're usually complete fantasy figures, I still remember one episode with a 3 bed semi which required everything doing, new windows, new roof, re plastered, re wired, new central heating, new kitchen, new bathroom, new carpets, biggish garden landscaped and new fencing, all work done by tradesman..... ''came in at just under £10,000 including all legal and purchase costs''.

a builder could do that if they were doing all the labour. windows are the most expensive item there. 

not 10k though more 15-20k. 

HOLA448

The buyer wasn't a builder he was IT or something and readily admitted he wasn't any good at any form of diy and would be using tradesmen for everything, just the garden fencing alone I estimate would have been £5k based on quotes I've previously had for a similar sized job.

HOLA449
2 hours ago, nome said:

The buyer wasn't a builder he was IT or something and readily admitted he wasn't any good at any form of diy and would be using tradesmen for everything, just the garden fencing alone I estimate would have been £5k based on quotes I've previously had for a similar sized job.

pure fantasy then 10k 

i can diy, shame i can`t persuade the bent agents to sell me any cheap probate houses 

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410

I've managed to get the iPlayer app on my smart TV and so I have been watching a few episodes from 2014. Nearly all were bought to rent out. :rolleyes: This might have been before George Osbourne's plan to tax BTL a bit more.

I wonder if the BBC are repeating these ones because finding BTL landlord buyers @ auction in 2017 is getting more difficult?! :unsure:

I don't know the address but one of the houses featured during the 2013/14 filming was in Rochester. Victorian style terrace near a church went for £133k. Despite the developers bidding over their initial budget of £125k. :wacko: £15k spent on refurb (nicely done). EA valuations came back at £160k. Developer couple were unimpressed. :rolleyes:

'That's because you went over your initial budget!' I barked at the TV. Well fed female developer said that she doesn't mind about it not selling quickly "because the property market has naturally gone up". <_< In 2014, she was propably right. :(

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Another HUTH cracker.....

HUTH Series 20 episode 9. One bed flat in Strawberry Hill on Richmond/Twickenham borders, right by the train station, virtually nothing to do to it. Pre auction “once renovated” price 239 950. Rental 1100pcm......

"I don’t think you need to spend more than a thousand to get this place ready for rental or the sales market” says Lucy.

Sells for 225, plus 3500 outstanding service charge, and 400 quid for all the furniture.

Lucy returns 6 DAYS later, and they painted a bit, cleaned, minor plumbing job, etc spending 1000 quid...

2 Estate Agents come, one says 239 950, the other...wait for it......

300,000!!!!!

Errr PARDON?????????

HOLA4412
4 hours ago, mowlem said:

Another HUTH cracker.....

HUTH Series 20 episode 9. One bed flat in Strawberry Hill on Richmond/Twickenham borders, right by the train station, virtually nothing to do to it. Pre auction “once renovated” price 239 950. Rental 1100pcm......

"I don’t think you need to spend more than a thousand to get this place ready for rental or the sales market” says Lucy.

Sells for 225, plus 3500 outstanding service charge, and 400 quid for all the furniture.

Lucy returns 6 DAYS later, and they painted a bit, cleaned, minor plumbing job, etc spending 1000 quid...

2 Estate Agents come, one says 239 950, the other...wait for it......

300,000!!!!!

Errr PARDON?????????

i wonder which agent they picked :lol: was it foxtons ?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

Just watching this mornings episode as I type... 3 bed terrace in Swadlincote Derbyshire, needs gutting and complete renovation and reconfiguration, very bad damp, uneven floors, downstairs toilet, shonky kitchen extension,  ancient electrics etc etc     First EA has just said it's worth £85k when done up, had a guide price of £50k and our budding property entrepreneurs have just paid £65k for it.

They reckon their budget is £10k!!!  Even if they were in the trade (which they're not, they're getting a builder in) I can't possibly see how it could be done for less than £25k as an absolute minimum.

Lets see how much they claim to have spent and how much the second EA's valuation will be conveniently revised upwards to ensure they still make a healthy profit....

Edited by nome

HOLA4414

So.... new damp proof, replastered throughout, rewired, new central heating, new double glazing, new kitchen, re positioned new toilet/bathroom upstairs, all done for £13 400!!     yeah right

Oh and the valuations... don't forget our first agent said it would be worth £85k once done up. So even with the above fantasy renovation figure that would only give a £7k profit

So what have the second valuations come in at?.... all of a sudden they've now decided it's actually worth £110k-£118k

HOLA4415
7 hours ago, nome said:

So.... new damp proof, replastered throughout, rewired, new central heating, new double glazing, new kitchen, re positioned new toilet/bathroom upstairs, all done for £13 400!!     yeah right

Perhaps they hired a bunch of teenagers and they used a 1970s Reader's Digest repair manual to do the work that cheap! :D

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
5 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

Perhaps they bought all the gear off a back of a lorry and got the local gippos to do a 'budget' refurb.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with flushing the toilet and having turd bombs flying out of your garden pond. In estate agent speak, that means it's "quirky, has character and is perfect for first time buyers".

The fact that the walls shake every time a train goes past mean that it's " highly convenient for transport links" too.

:)

HOLA4418
12 hours ago, Princekie said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with flushing the toilet and having turd bombs flying out of your garden pond. 

Reminds me of a scene from a computer game I used to have for the Commodore Amiga back in 1992/3. :lol:

• 1 year later...
HOLA4419

Today's episode.

Bramble farmhouse TN25, agent's valuation at £1m, actual sold £845k.still a healthy profit mind, but mainly just from holding in a rising market.

4 Cross Side, CA22, made a loss on agent's lowest valuation - plus having spent the last two years commuting from London to cumbria. (Also, a pair of bearded hipsters wearing matching outfits - its weird what is considered normal for adults these days. Seemed nice enough chaps though.)

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Live "for sale"s on rightmove today.

229 North Wingfield Road, Grassmoor, Chesterfield

https://www.sdlauctions.co.uk/property/18023/end-of-terrace-house-for-auction-chesterfield/

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68121205.html

looks like a nice job, but on market at 95k against EA valuation of 85k - 90k

Also, it had been on market for less (42.5k) than actually paid at auction (46k)

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/229-north-wingfield-road/grassmoor/chesterfield/s42-5er/45633692

And neighboring prices are a bit erratic but from photos look like they've been done up too, so may be gentrifying.

2 Harold Street, Queenborough, Sheerness, Kent, ME11

gone STC 175k

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76115327.html

23 Crowther StreetSt HelensWA10 4NH

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57672291.html

EA valuation 67 - 70k, dooerupper says he wants 70k, on market for 79.95k

Price litterally increased from 74.95 k as I was searching, maybe theyve being getting some interest because of huth.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4421