House Price Crash Forum

What Percentage Of Your Income Goes On Housing?

tyres

HOLA441

From the conversation on this thread

That's the assumption in the latest figures from think tank Resolution Foundation, which show that lower- and middle-income households are spending 26% of their salaries on housing, compared to 18% back in 1995. In London, households spend 28% of their income on housing.

The think tank said this is the equivalent to adding 10 percentage points onto income tax.

....26%?! And the rest! If people were really only spending 26% of their income on rent, then they're laughing - will be able to put away 25%+ in savings each month. I think it's more like 45% or 50% for a lot of renters / mega-mortgagers. Or are they doing some crude "average" with the stats i.e. including mortgage free and children (lol)?

I was wondering what percentage of your income (take home pay) goes towards rent / mortgage?

For me its close to 50%, living in Cambridge :/

Edited by tyres

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest BillyNI

That rise from 18% in 1995 to 26% today seems to be a very conservative figure when you consider whats happened to earnings v house prices in that time period.

My experience of London is that it is a much greater sum than 26%. I think these numbers might be being heavily skewed.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm very sceptical of the article because I hate it when the media uses a think tank to justify their story as it appears to give some legitimacy to their mindless dribble. So Resolution foundation has a slogan "Analysis and action on living standards" you can tell RF had their opinion a long time ago and the data they use will support that view. RF is based in Westminster so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a lobbying campaign and they sponsored that media outlet to write about their agenda (maybe I go too far with that)

As for my opinion, I suspect its more than 25% too.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

20%

That figure doesn't mean much by itself though. So many other variables: mortgage term, single/dual income, interest only/repayment etc.

I've overpaid, and been at a higher percentage in the past and will likely do so in the future (once I stop having to pay £500 childcare a month).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

SVR 1995 was 8%.

Average real house price 1995 ~£90k.

Average wage 1995 £17,470 gross.

Can someone work that out against today?

Other costs CT, insurances and repair and decoration...standing charges for utilities.

Edited by winkie

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This is a bit meaningless without location.

The very lowest priced 3 bed box within a sensible distance of me is £1,300 pcm - i.e £15,600 per year.

add in council tax and you are up to over £17k p.a

That requires the following salary:

10% of wages £300k

20% of wages £140k

30% of wages £85k

40% of wages £60k

50% of wages £46k

I can't see many 30 year olds round here earning £85k.

The whole place is screwed.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

14%

One bed flat by myself

Edinburgh

But that number is only so low because I am fortunate to earn a lot. If I was the 'average' Edinburgh earner you would be looking at more like 30-35%.

And for context - I spend more than 14% on booze/going out per month.