House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Entertainment Deprivation Experiment

The long hours of my newfound leisure have highlighted to me the degree to which I, like everyone, is continually exposed to entertainment of one variety or another.

My day (primary tasking being gardening, cooking, shopping, etc) is interspersed with a lot of reading books and an awful lot of browsing the web (inc posting and gossiping here). Even when doing something productive, I usually have an audio soundtrack of podcasts, Radio 4, or just music and Radio 6 DJ chatter.

So, in the interests of science, I'm going to quit. OK, it'll just be when I'm on my own - between 0730 and 1700 each day - as I can hardly lock myself in a cell and meditate while the family want TV/board games.

The rules are simple: between those hours, I'll have no radio, no music, no computer time, and no books (and, of course, no TV - but that's not my poison anyway). The only exception will be things that have to be done during working hours (share dealing, looking up a business phone number, etc).

Will the excruciating boredom defeat me? Or is boredom just a transitory phase? Will I go mad? Will I find God?

Guest eight

What are you hoping to achieve? If it is indeed boredom, then I suspect you will succeed. I remember the time before the advent of 24/7 entertainment as being exceedingly tedious. As it is, I haven't been properly bored for years.

Being deprived of television, books, radio, Internet, etc. is one of the few things I find difficult to deal with. Lack of human contact is much less of a problem.

I've often wondered what exactly "solitary confinement" in prison means. If I was allowed books, then I'm not sure it would bother me much.

If you're like me you will find that you achieve a lovely inner peace.

I get this from long coastal walks by myself, for the first half hour / hour my mind is rattling away with the usual chatter and then it begins to fade away to be replaced by calm.

It helps to have zero opportunity for distraction - no phone or headphone - as then there is no "I'll just check" for the mind to catch upon.

What are you hoping to achieve? If it is indeed boredom, then I suspect you will succeed. I remember the time before the advent of 24/7 entertainment as being exceedingly tedious. As it is, I haven't been properly bored for years.

Good question. My spur has been reviewing my days and seeing that I've spent a few hours every day being "entertained". It's passive. It feels wasteful in some sort of puritanical way. That set me thinking about the whole gamut of entertainment and voluntary disruption to natural thought - so music fell within scope.

But, honestly, I have no measure of success or desired outcome. I just want to see what it's like. I'm not optimistic that I'll even last a week, though!

Interesting experiment..

I guess it depends how far you're prepared to take it. What you're doing sounds like the sort of thing more trendy people would call meditation.

As you remove stimulus your mind will search for alternative things to occupy it. If you remove everything you'll be left with only yourself for company. 30 mins of that is probably a good thing. Much more is practically torture.. hence why they put people in solitary confinement

I'll be interested to see how it goes.

In all honesty I have some sort of addictive/compulsive behavior where I check the internet, and in particular this site, far too often. I stopped using the site (and most of the interweb) completely for 2 weeks recently when I was in San Diego, but that was because my days were busy. In the evenings I just watched some netflix.

But as soon as I got back to work and decided to check this site 'just once', I end up posting here and then checking it what seems like every few mins when I'm at my computer. I think I have a shortened attention span from all this!

I've read about the idea of neuroplasticity and all that and wondered what it would be like to go away for a week to some sort of hippy type place where you don't have any internet/TV for a week. Bound to be some sort of place like that here in Ireland.

Question is whether this 'reboot' would give me my attention span back, or make me stark raving mad(der).

You have a saxophone to learn. -_-

It's good to take a step back from the minutiae of life and get things into perspective.

One night last summer I took a canoe out into Portsmouth Harbour and tied up to a mooring buoy. I stayed there for some time in the darkness, watching the quiet goings on of the harbour, looking at the stars and taking in the peace and tranquility. Recommended.

It's good to take a step back from the minutiae of life and get things into perspective.

One night last summer I took a canoe out into Portsmouth Harbour and tied up to a mooring buoy. I stayed there for some time in the darkness, watching the quiet goings on of the harbour, looking at the stars and taking in the peace and tranquility. Recommended.

You are Iggle Piggle. :blink:

I am wary of men in white vans who go out at night and tie up buoys for their own entertainment.

When I go away sometimes there is no phone line or signal, no broadband, no TV or video player.....just books and a really good short wave radio.....the sky is dark, millions of stars no light pollution, I saw a wonderful display of coloured shooting stars.....lots of birds, swallows, swifts and house martins and some bats at dusk feeding......long walks, fresh air, lots of wild flowers with smells of pine and eucalyptus trees, rarely see any people...just one special place in this world of plenty. ;)

MrPin approves of short wave radios, and astronomy. :blink:

MrPin approves of short wave radios, and astronomy. :blink:

That's good to know..... birds, trees and wild flowers are good also......I like music as long as it is not too loud.

I think total nature and the use of all the five senses helps balance the mind in today's modern age of technology and constant demands on peoples time and attention......chill, and slow down the pace of life, savor the small things that would not normally notice with everything going on in most people's hectic lifestyles. ;)

There's plenty to do if you just remove those things you mentioned (although books might be a bit of a struggle), there's something badly wrong with someone who can't find anything to do with their time without such things. If on the other hand entertainment is just anything you find enjoyable, so that would rule out the pursuit of any hobbies, leaving you with literally nothing to do other than twiddle your thumbs, you'll probably go crazy very quickly.

If you're like me you will find that you achieve a lovely inner peace.

I get this from long coastal walks by myself, for the first half hour / hour my mind is rattling away with the usual chatter and then it begins to fade away to be replaced by calm.

It helps to have zero opportunity for distraction - no phone or headphone - as then there is no "I'll just check" for the mind to catch upon.

Its the a combination of the walking (light physical exercise), no people, and having a large horizon i.e. in the true sense of the word - long , far away vistas.

Sort of unravels your brains.

I am my own entertainment. I am not deprived of it.

Anyhow, doing stuff is overrated.

Hate rushing place to place. People fig themselves into that when they get a car.

Im most productive/inventive when Im doing nothing and just mooching.

Anyhow, doing stuff is overrated.

Hate rushing place to place. People fig themselves into that when they get a car.

Im most productive/inventive when Im doing nothing and just mooching.

It's known as murgling in Yorkshire. Doing stuff, with little purpose, and no stress.

It's known as murgling in Yorkshire. Doing stuff, with little purpose, and no stress.

No. Thats called working for the local council.

Will the excruciating boredom defeat me? Or is boredom just a transitory phase? Will I go mad? Will I find God?

Reverse that god and you might just find a great companion.