House Price Crash Forum

Austin Reed Files Notice For Administration With 1,000 Jobs At Risk

HOLA441

Even more so for a company that sells suits in a low wage, low skill, tax credit economy. You only need to wander round a town/city for 5 mins to see that most people are scruffy ***** nowadays - and I count myself in that. Whether temporary or not it seems to be a cultural change in fashion as much as a death of high street issue.

Agreed like the man digging the hole, white collar jobs are a dying breed.... The same for women's ballgowns and cocktail dresses....sign of the changing times.;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Even more so for a company that sells suits in a low wage, low skill, tax credit economy. You only need to wander round a town/city for 5 mins to see that most people are scruffy ***** nowadays - and I count myself in that. Whether temporary or not it seems to be a cultural change in fashion as much as a death of high street issue.

Austin Reed sold some quality stuff, much higher quality than Marks and Spencer (not that M&S is high quality these days). It's sad, many people say they are interested in quality, but when given the choice buy something from primark that falls apart after a few washes (the obvious exception is if they are buying something that has a big label that gives them 'status')

HOLA446
Guest eight

Austin Reed sold some quality stuff, much higher quality than Marks and Spencer (not that M&S is high quality these days). It's sad, many people say they are interested in quality, but when given the choice buy something from primark that falls apart after a few washes (the obvious exception is if they are buying something that has a big label that gives them 'status')

Well that's interesting to know, in retrospect, as I had literally never heard of this chain until I read this thread. Even when I saw the title I thought it was a recruitment agency.

HOLA447

Austin Reed always seemed to me to fill a rather odd gap between the high street chains such as M&S, and top end off the peg retailers of the type you only get in London or some large cities, such as Roderick Charles, Charles Tyrwhitt etc. I would imagine there is very little demand for that sort of thing outside London anyway. Fewer and fewer men have to dress in a suit, shirt and tie for work nowadays and most of those that do seem to get shiny tight suits from Primark.

HOLA448
Guest eight

Austin Reed always seemed to me to fill a rather odd gap between the high street chains such as M&S, and top end off the peg retailers of the type you only get in London or some large cities, such as Roderick Charles, Charles Tyrwhitt etc. I would imagine there is very little demand for that sort of thing outside London anyway. Fewer and fewer men have to dress in a suit, shirt and tie for work nowadays and most of those that do seem to get shiny tight suits from Primark.

I once bought a suit from Matalan. The cashier asked me what I was up for.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412