House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canbuywontbuy

Daily Mail Comment Upvote Fixing - Here's How To Find Which Have Been "hacked"

Here's an example:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555600/Boris-rage-ridiculous-weird-Obama-Extraordinary-statement-MoS-mocks-President-trade-threats.html#comments

Click on "best rated", then you'll see the top two comments are pro-Obama (essentially agreeing that it would be bad to Brexit). But look at their downvote counts and take note of them, because when you go to Worst Rated they are nowhere to be found, even though Worst Rated is based on absolute numbers of downvotes (the top two comments have both highest number of upvotes and downvotes). Seriously, it's like these comments have a flag associated with them to both boost them to the top of Best Rated, while simply removing them altogether from Worst Rated.

This is a consistent "tell" on the Daily Mail. If you ever want to know if a comment has its upvote count "hacked" or "fixed", you will see that within an hour or two of publication, it has thousands of upvotes, but overtime as it gains downvotes (as it goes against the grain of DM reader opinion), it's nowhere to be found in worst rated.

I don't know if this is a 3rd party thing (DM have a security hole in their comments scripts) or the DM doing it themselves, but there's clearly tampering going on.

Edit: even before I publish this post, I can see a new comment has leapt to the top of the best comments - another Remain comment. It's so ridiculous - many of the replies are along the lines of "not another bot".

Well they're trying their best to promote the remain vote, as are the telegraph (who've abandoned comments sections altogether now). Daily Mail can't find Remain comments that are popular, so either tamper themselves with it, or allow a 3rd party to (it's so obvious, most of the comments about these comments are that they are rigged!). Both papers were for Brexit when it didn't matter, but now the vote is only 2 months away, they've swung to Remain.

Well they're trying their best to promote the remain vote, as are the telegraph (who've abandoned comments sections altogether now). Daily Mail can't find Remain comments that are popular, so either tamper themselves with it, or allow a 3rd party to (it's so obvious, most of the comments about these comments are that they are rigged!). Both papers were for Brexit when it didn't matter, but now the vote is only 2 months away, they've swung to Remain.

So likely they've decided that Bremain is the best option to support the mail's house price vested interests - seeing as that seems to be the most paramount issue of all to them. That and more cheap labour to crowd into their houses.

It's not just the referendum stories though it happens on immigration stories & the migrant crisis stories too.

Almost like it's being done on purpose by the newpaper itself, i noticed some of it's story writing becoming a bit more balanced of late.

So likely they've decided that Bremain is the best option to support the mail's house price vested interests - seeing as that seems to be the most paramount issue of all to them. That and more cheap labour to crowd into their houses.

It's always about VI, not what's best for the country. Same with other Remain voters - they care about their particular job, their particular house's price, their particular circumstance. Wanting a Brexit is to take your focus outside of your VI and see what's happening in the country. No country wants more people than its infrastructure can accommodate. That's a common sense view that's applied by all countries in and out of the EU - just the UK is one of those few countries (Germany, Sweden, Denmark as well) to be targeted by mass immigration because of the perks available to migrants. When Obama said get to the back of the queue, that's what your kids will be doing when they visit a GP or hospital, want housing or a job.

It's always about VI, not what's best for the country. Same with other Remain voters - they care about their particular job, their particular house's price, their particular circumstance.

One's first loyalty must always be to one's family and community, surely?

Politicians try (and have been very successful for about 150 years) to subvert that loyalty and twist it into obeisance to a flag, a crown, an ideology - usually by means of forever unfulfilled promises and bribes.

It's always about VI, not what's best for the country. Same with other Remain voters - they care about their particular job, their particular house's price, their particular circumstance. Wanting a Brexit is to take your focus outside of your VI and see what's happening in the country. No country wants more people than its infrastructure can accommodate. That's a common sense view that's applied by all countries in and out of the EU - just the UK is one of those few countries (Germany, Sweden, Denmark as well) to be targeted by mass immigration because of the perks available to migrants. When Obama said get to the back of the queue, that's what your kids will be doing when they visit a GP or hospital, want housing or a job.

I predicted years ago that were it ever to come to a choice between the interests of the country and the interests of the City of London then the Tory press would unhesitatingly side with the Crooked Mile. And so it has been proven. My how they love, love, love the EU now! Hugely funny, if it wasn't so tragic.

One's first loyalty must always be to one's family and community, surely?

Politicians try (and have been very successful for about 150 years) to subvert that loyalty and twist it into obeisance to a flag, a crown, an ideology - usually by means of forever unfulfilled promises and bribes.

When Obama said get to the back of the queue, that's what your kids will be doing when they visit a GP or hospital, want housing or a job.

Good, I’m not the only one! I remarked on this very issue while reading the article in the DM yesterday and my SO dismissed my astonishment at the direction of the comments as paranoia… Thank goodness for this website, there are others like me LOL

Obama has not got an awful wage, awful services, and big business wed to mass immigration to keep wages low being pushed by a third rate government.

It's not immigration that's pushed wages down - it's tax credits and other wage subsidies. The race to become the lowest cost labour economy on the planet is entirely the making of HMG rather than the EU.

It's not immigration that's pushed wages down - it's tax credits and other wage subsidies. The race to become the lowest cost labour economy on the planet is entirely the making of HMG rather than the EU.

Even if you believe that, what direction is unlimited EU migration taking us - higher wages?

Obama has not got an awful wage, awful services, and big business wed to mass immigration to keep wages low being pushed by a third rate government.

• Obama won't even be president in 2 years' time when the UK would actually Brexit, but he feels like he can decide US policy long after he's left office
  • Trump is super-popular which is a slap in the face for Obama. If Obama is much-loved in the US, Trump would not be popular now.

Even if you believe that, what direction is unlimited EU migration taking us - higher wages?

Free movement of capital and labour is good for returns on both.

Nonsense. If you read the DM (not the MoS) you'll see that they are heavily pro-brexit. The MoS are more "on the fence".

Back on topic, I'm not sure that this is always due to bots. If you check some of the leftie forums they organise vote brigading. The Guardian recently changed their comment policies because they believed that "right-wingers" were doing the same on there. The Guardian has become a bit of a graveyard for comments now.

So you admit that migrants cost the country more than they give back via their tax-credits, child benefits and housing benefits they are entitled to as low income earners. How does that help the £10Bn-a-month borrowing UK?

Back on topic, I'm not sure that this is always due to bots. If you check some of the leftie forums they organise vote brigading. The Guardian recently changed their comment policies because they believed that "right-wingers" were doing the same on there. The Guardian has become a bit of a graveyard for comments now.

it's definitely "programmed", because the high-upvote comments also garner high-downvotes over time, yet never appear in the Worst Rated sorting. This leads me to believe the DM have set some kind of exception flag for certain comments to help promote their cause.

I agree it's bots some of the time, but I refuse to believe the second most visited news website in the English-speaking world doesn't have some pretty extensive ant-bot technologies. Tell you what, I'll buy/create one as it's fairly similar to my day job and I've got access to 1000s of private proxies. Will report back what I can find - would love to manipulate some of the pro-HPI comments on ThisIsMoney :)

I agree it's bots some of the time, but I refuse to believe the second most visited news website in the English-speaking world doesn't have some pretty extensive ant-bot technologies. Tell you what, I'll buy/create one as it's fairly similar to my day job and I've got access to 1000s of private proxies. Will report back what I can find - would love to manipulate some of the pro-HPI comments on ThisIsMoney :)

Why do you assume it's a 3rd party bot? How can it be that the most downvoted comments don't appear in Worst Rated - a sorting method that is simply based on absolute numbers of downvotes? I'm suggesting that it's something internal, not some simple httprequest bots submitting forms.

It was always the net number of greens / reds that determined it as far as I could tell, as happens in local news websites (though they just show the net).

The only "hacking" I'm aware of is when other sites, including this one, direct people there.

The Daily Mail is mostly pro Brexit but gives space to the alternative view.

Why do you assume it's a 3rd party bot? How can it be that the most downvoted comments don't appear in Worst Rated - a sorting method that is simply based on absolute numbers of downvotes? I'm suggesting that it's something internal, not some simple httprequest bots submitting forms.

So what are you saying, that the DM themselves are manipulating comments on the articles of journalists they are paying? What benefit does it have to them, for example, to have the most "upvoted" comment on a Katie Hopkins article slating her by calling her xenophobic/racist/whatever? It's only ever articles related to race/migration, a sure sign of who is behind it. Pretty sure the tin foil hat needs to be removed, it's clearly a sad leftie trot from one of the leftwing forums who rented a few hundred proxies.

It basically doesn't seem to make any sense. Look at an article where you can see all of the comments, like this one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3557481/Josh-Brolin-fianc-e-Kathryn-Boyd-coordinate-vest-jeans-combo-enjoy-casual-lunch-date.html .

At the start, it comes up with the newest comments first. If you switch to best-rated or worst-rated then the number of up- and down-votes changes, to more or less half of what you saw before (although this isn't entirely consistent). I'm going for bad programming.

For some jobs i would agree on the tax credit part,but when did tax credits affect the wage a welder/electrician/plumber/ and so on would earn, they were always well above in work benefit levels .migrants working for less has done the damage to this sector and many others for sure