House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workingpoor

Fiat Chrysler Recall 1.1M Cars Worldwide

An investigation by FCA and the U.S. government found that the electronic gear shifters in the vehicles were confusing and might lead people to believe that they were parked even if they weren’t. FCA is aware of 41 injuries potentially related to the problem.

http://wtop.com/money/2016/04/fiat-chrysler-recalling-more-than-1-1-million-vehicles/

Stick to the old fashioned pull up handbrake.

Looks like another "we grew to fast" moment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36117557

Apparently they roll away after the driver gets out,

edit: or the driver gets "confused"

How stupid do they think the average driver is?? Sorry. Momentary lapse. Never buy a fiat. I wonder if it also affects the Jeep Renegade, a variant of the Fiat 500-on-steroids SUV?

I usually put the parking brake on after I have parked, otherwise it might roll away. Genius?

If you see those American movies, they have automatics, and you put it in park using the indicator like stalks.

No the parking brake is usually a pedal.

No the parking brake is usually a pedal.

He must be talking about the column shift for the auto box like you get on the Oldsmobile Cutlass. It's not the indicator.

He must be talking about the column shift for the auto box like you get on the Oldsmobile Cutlass. It's not the indicator.

Crikey, oh ancient one. I haven't seen one of those for some time. All automatics have a P position which locks the transmission, but I would in addition, put on the parking brake, because that is what it is for. :blink:

I use the park brake in the Landcruiser only on steep hills; the gearbox is more than capable of holding in park mode.

My brother in law just sold his Cutlass station wagon after ten years. A 1991 model. I found it on the IOW for £800, with only 20k on the clock - it had been imported from Guernsey! It was a lovely drive and had two pop up seats in the back so we fitted the whole family in! It was sold for £1,200!!!

I use the park brake in the Landcruiser only on steep hills; the gearbox is more than capable of holding in park mode.

My brother in law just sold his Cutlass station wagon after ten years. A 1991 model. I found it on the IOW for £800, with only 20k on the clock - it had been imported from Guernsey! It was a lovely drive and had two pop up seats in the back so we fitted the whole family in! It was sold for £1,200!!!

Ha, best to be cautious.

Nice on the Oldy wagon, Didn't depreciate much. Very much my sort of price range.

Most Americans would agree that that is the best approach. The trouble is they grew up with old fashion automatic gearboxes full of planetary gears, friction bands, etc. These tend to work until they stop working (which tends to be locking in gear), at which point you have to pay lots of money.

The new automatic boxes are manual gearboxes controlled by computer. These tend to work until the computer gets it wrong, at which point your car rolls down the hill. And you still have to pay lots of money.