House Price Crash Forum
Catch22

China Kicks Ass In The Gdp Stakes

Excellent news. The faster China and India develop the better for world trade.

Didn't take them long to pass Italy. The Italian (and French) economies are well and truly ******ed.

Edited by Ignorant Steve

I could do this for the UK; if I had access to a nation of slave labour that have no real rights of redress over health and safety and pay bargaining. If I could use prisoners for production work costing nothing and if I had no enviromental responsibility whatsoever. So if you want China's success, vote me in and I'll get the army at work kicking your ass.

Also, as I have said before, the connection between economic success and standard of living is only a loose one. When the UK was at its most economically successfull at the turn of the century the workers had no rights, children worked an 80 Hr week and got killed in carpet pressess (too bloody slow). New Zealand now is not a great economic success but its way of life beats UK under most measures.

deano

Edited by deano

I could do this for UK, if I had access to a nation of slave labour that had no real rights of redress over health and safety and pay bargaining. If I could use prisoners for production work costing nothing and if I had no enviromental responsibility whatsoever. So if you want China's success vote me in and I'll get the army at work kicking your ass.

Also, as I have said before, the connection between economic success and standard of living is only a loose one. When the UK was at its most economically successfull at the turn of the century the workers had no rights, children worked an 80 Hr week and got killed in carpet pressess (too bloody slow). New Zealand now is not a great economic success but its way of life beats UK under most measures.

deano

Oh dear. Don't you like chinese food?

I could do this for UK, if I had access to a nation of slave labour that had no real rights of redress over health and safety and pay bargaining. If I could use prisoners for production work costing nothing and if I had no enviromental responsibility whatsoever. So if you want China's success vote me in and I'll get the army at work kicking your ass.

deano

Agree totally but you have got to blame the west for allowing it. I'm all for free trade but the rules have to be the same. Any chinese goods bought here should have to be producing according to EU rules.

Agree totally but you have got to blame the west for allowing it. I'm all for free trade but the rules have to be the same. Any chinese goods bought here should have to be producing according to EU rules.

No, if they're prepared to screw over their workers and environment to make cheap stuff for us, then let them get on with it, and let people in the UK go and do things that are more enjoyable and/or more lucrative than working on factory floors.

Oh, wait, that's what we're doing. Nothing to see here, move along.

If I could use prisoners for production work costing nothing and if I had no enviromental responsibility whatsoever. So if you want China's success, vote me in and I'll get the army at work kicking your ass.

The UK does use prisoners for production work. You just don't get to hear about it. £7 a day to package spoons for supermarkets anyone?

I could do this for the UK; if I had access to a nation of slave labour that have no real rights of redress over health and safety and pay bargaining. If I could use prisoners for production work costing nothing and if I had no enviromental responsibility whatsoever. So if you want China's success, vote me in and I'll get the army at work kicking your ass.

deano

You're quite wrong.

The connection between economic success and standard of living is nearly absolute, if not quite by definition. Wealth creation - the result of economic success - gives us health care, pensions, houses, education, food, heat and light, transport, and leisure time - and the chance to avoid sending our children up chimneys. Britain, like nearly all other countries certainly including NZ, is more economically successful now than 100 years ago. You are talking in relative, not absolute, terms, which is meaningless and abstract to most people then and now.