House Price Crash Forum

Sheldon Man Converts M&s Trailer Into House, Parks In Mum's Front Garden

HOLA441

JS87218320.jpg

This is the amazing interior of a former Marks and Spencer delivery lorry converted into a HOUSE – complete with a corner bath, sliding patio doors and even a lift.

The astonishing £10,000 transformation, featuring two bedrooms and two bathrooms, was completed by Iftikhar Azam, who lived in it for TWO YEARS.

The 43-year-old site engineer came up with the wacky idea when he needed somewhere to live as his house sale dragged on. He bought the trailer for £3,500 four years ago before he transformed the 59 sq metre space.

Iftikhar said: “I did it up to a good standard so I could live in it when I was looking for a home.

“I put in a kitchen with a dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, built-in appliances, two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a living room and a lift as there was already one there to stack pallets.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-ms-delivery-lorry-transformed-11213957

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I wonder what the neighbours think? :) I think I'd be complaining about the house as well.....neither is pretty.

What's wrong with a summer house or a caravan?

The neighbours might not complain about a summer house but if the council got wind of it being used as a separate residence, they would prosecute. Can't have people beating the system!

HOLA448

Fair play to him. If the game is rigged, change the rules of the game. What his neighbours do not realise is that this trailer home is not the problem, it is simply a symptom of the wider economic and social problems their community is facing.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Cant see why you cant park your own vehicle/van/trailer on your own or someones land with consent, tell the council egit to get stuffed.

If people are prepared to move every year or so, it could be a reasonably good way to live. I am guessing it would take one to two years for the council to find out, investigate and then take legal action. There's a slum landlord in London who's been doing this with a houseboat for years - every time the council moves him on he just tows it to the next borough and the process starts again.

HOLA4411

I'll be converting a Luton van this year and making it as stealth as possible to live in full time. Sick of giving my landlord the majority of my salary in modern day slavery. I know a few people already living like this. When every flat is now let out on the basis of how many Poles or Romanians you can squeeze inside you either accept your standard of living either has to drop as well or look for alternative solutions.

HOLA4412

I'll be converting a Luton van this year and making it as stealth as possible to live in full time. Sick of giving my landlord the majority of my salary in modern day slavery. I know a few people already living like this. When every flat is now let out on the basis of how many Poles or Romanians you can squeeze inside you either accept your standard of living either has to drop as well or look for alternative solutions.

Please keep us updated and let us know how the other people you know doing it are getting on.

HOLA4413

Good luck - although either the country is crazy or you are (I don't think it is you) for you to be doing this. Perhaps you could make a business doing this?

HOLA4414

Please keep us updated and let us know how the other people you know doing it are getting on.

One guy I know has been in London for a few months now in a fully stealth Luton parking on normal streets close to his work and hasn't had any issues yet. He's saving to put a deposit down on a house eventually which would be impossible if he was renting.

Good luck - although either the country is crazy or you are (I don't think it is you) for you to be doing this. Perhaps you could make a business doing this?

Think it's just a natural regression back to the rentier system. Neo-feudalism. Being a single working age male the system wants me to work, pay rent and pay tax to be given to the feckless. I know too many teenage mums with big council houses coining it and another friend who's scamming disability to the tune of £30k a year and she's even allowed to work! Figure that one out because I can't. Think we've reached a point where you either play the system, avoid the system or get shafted by it.

Here's some pics of a Luton camper conversion, better than a lot of studios I've seen:c0635c_1e0a3d2fb1694617aedd942b22c4979d.

6234f54c555eb058c99b7858558d163f.jpg

1a213d99b72d8394e2664c41083ae3a2.jpg

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

One guy I know has been in London for a few months now in a fully stealth Luton parking on normal streets close to his work and hasn't had any issues yet. He's saving to put a deposit down on a house eventually which would be impossible if he was renting.

Think it's just a natural regression back to the rentier system. Neo-feudalism. Being a single working age male the system wants me to work, pay rent and pay tax to be given to the feckless. I know too many teenage mums with big council houses coining it and another friend who's scamming disability to the tune of £30k a year and she's even allowed to work! Figure that one out because I can't. Think we've reached a point where you either play the system, avoid the system or get shafted by it.

Here's some pics of a Luton camper conversion, better than a lot of studios I've seen:c0635c_1e0a3d2fb1694617aedd942b22c4979d.

6234f54c555eb058c99b7858558d163f.jpg

1a213d99b72d8394e2664c41083ae3a2.jpg

Sadly your analysis is spot on, the sad thing is that with the current government it is a strict as it going to get for "Holy Single Parents" who must be pandered to. I think the solution is local benefits as sooner or later one council will realize that they can cut them without fear.

HOLA4417

Fair play to him. If the game is rigged, change the rules of the game. What his neighbours do not realise is that this trailer home is not the problem, it is simply a symptom of the wider economic and social problems their community is facing.

He's been looking for freeeeedom...

HOLA4418

Given that the house itself looks more like an industrial unit the lorry trailer doesn't actually look out of place parked next to it.

Just for info the house type is known as a BISF house - British Iron & Steel Federation - I used to live in one , it was ex council. Essentially a steel frame ( like an industrial unit ) , render around the bottom and cladding around the top.

D :0)

HOLA4419

Just for info the house type is known as a BISF house - British Iron & Steel Federation - I used to live in one , it was ex council. Essentially a steel frame ( like an industrial unit ) , render around the bottom and cladding around the top.

D :0)

How did I not know that? Even has its own Wikipedia entry. (Ones on the left have been upgraded. All in fabulous Port Glasgow!)

Bardrainney_BISF_Houses.JPG

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Seems gov doesn't really want to seriously tackle beds in sheds. Perhaps because the land-owner pays council tax and gets rent.

I suspect they certainly will crack down on van living, how dare you attempt freedom. I predict that in a year or two police with thermal imaging cameras will be searching the streets.

van living is too much of a good idea for its popularity not to explode. especially given London rents.

living in a well kitted out van (detached house) your effectively getting paid anywhere between £800-£2000 a month to live there in rent savings.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

That conversion looks amazing, mechanically I've heard they are solid as a rock far better than the modern rubbish designed by accountants.

HOLA4424