House Price Crash Forum

Supermarket Products Get Smaller ... But Prices Stay The Same Size

Errol

HOLA441
On 20/02/2017 at 5:23 PM, Errol said:

Chocolate Oranges are tiny now. Such a shame.

They are cheaper though. I noticed the other day that the monstrosity that is the new Creme Egg is 50p, and a Chocoolate Orange on the same stand was only a pound! Proportionally the difference used to be much greater.

On 20/02/2017 at 5:25 PM, John The Pessimist said:

Wholesale pork prices have crashed since the sanctions were placed on Russia, which had been a significant export market for European pork.

I assume this just means the supermarkets are gouging me on the price of my aforementioned (£4; was 1kg, now 800g) crate of pork?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
On 24/03/2017 at 2:57 PM, Errol said:

How much smaller can these things get? Is there a limit? Eventually a Cadbury bar will be the size of a 10p coin.

When people have justifiable grounds to sue manufacturers. For instance it says baked beans. Yet when you open the tin it's just one bean.

I still remember cans being 500g -> 475g - > 454g ->450g -> 430g -> 400g.

The last tin of soup (don't judge they're useful for camping) was 390g.

HOLA444
2 hours ago, Morganite said:

When people have justifiable grounds to sue manufacturers. For instance it says baked beans. Yet when you open the tin it's just one bean.

I still remember cans being 500g -> 475g - > 454g ->450g -> 430g -> 400g.

The last tin of soup (don't judge they're useful for camping) was 390g.

I opened a tin of evaporated milk the other day - and it was all still in there! Rip-off.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The majority of folk hate this disguised inflation, but suggest interest rate rises and you'd be hung! I'm not sure there are many savers left... All the boomers have given their cash away via nomad. FTBs are lesser citizens as they dont own a house.

But, even without a sensible base rate (my rule of thumb would be inflation + 0.25%) consumer lending rates will still rise as banks try to cover risk.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

One large manufacturer I spoke to about shrinkage said, "our customers prefer the smaller sizes" therefore as I am obviously not one of their typical customers I stopped purchasing the product.....Shrinking customer base.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Stop buying sweets would be the key here. 

Now the whole industry has been bought up by Mondelez it's a simple process to buy less and tax more until we rip the shirts of their backs and send them back to Illinois with their plastic cheese.

HOLA4418

Just stop buying it....enough is enough.

I would quite happily go to a store that sold unbranded quality food and say cleaners, washing liquid, shampoo etc....bring own container/bags and purchase by the litre or kilo.....save on money and packaging......fed up with all this perfect fruit and veg, plastic containers and fancy bottles that they try to make look big on the shelf......let's go back to broken biscuits......and pay for what we use not throw away or pay for the advert on prime time tv.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Stop buying sweets would be the key here. 

Now the whole industry has been bought up by Mondelez it's a simple process to buy less and tax more until we rip the shirts of their backs and send them back to Illinois with their plastic cheese.

Make your own sweets......sugar at the moment is 60p a bag....same size bag as it's always been..... watch this space.;)

HOLA4420
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4421

The spectre of shrinkflation is stalking through the UK economy again today - and this time Jaffa Cakes are the victims.

Manufacturer McVities is facing a revolt after reducing the number of Jaffa Cakes in each pack from 12 to just 10. Fans of the orange-centred snack are outraged.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41400677?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Inflation and stagnant wages have been grudgingly tolerated by the public, as ultra low rates more than compensate for mortgaged homeowners who were struggling to service their debt at a historically average  5 percent. Of course those renting on low incomes became worse off but who cares about them? Problem is we are between a rock and a hard place now; rising costs due to a weak pound and rates that cant go up because of the debt burden.

HOLA4425
On 26/03/2017 at 6:22 PM, Errol said:

Your snacks are shrinking AGAIN: Hula Hoops are now too tiny to fit on your fingers as Cadbury's boss warns treats will get smaller after Brexit and Maltesers get even lighter 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4347884/Cadbury-s-chocolate-bars-facing-cuts-size.html

Good for fatso Britain.