House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Wanna Buy A Church?

There's a church a few miles from me that's disused and a superb example of medieval and later architecture. LINK It keeps getting lead nicked off the roof, and break-ins to look for antiquities (there aren't any left to nick).

It would make a superb house or business address if properly converted, but the last burial was only in the 1990s. I believe there's a 100 year lease on each plot, but even if the last burial was in 1916 I doubt a new owner could just dig up the old bones and re-bury them elsewhere.

So I assume it''l just crumble and decay into a ruin a few decades hence.

It'd be a lot easier to flog if it were a red brick methodist chapel without a cemetary.

Edited by newbonic

Loads have gone through the local auctions around South Wales over the last ten years

There are five chapels /churches (and a tin shed :D ) in their current auction one with and increadbly low reseve in turk land https://www.eigroup.co.uk/files/177/24380/c276d069-4cb5-47cf-bdba-6526cbf198cd.pdf

Edited by long time lurking

Interesting, I've had an eye on lot 8 for a while on RM, when I first came across it IIRC asking price was 175...now a guide price 100k less. There's been a few £20k chapels around narbeth that would interest me as somewhere to keep surfboards and somewhere to doss whilst out that way more than anything else

Interesting, I've had an eye on lot 8 for a while on RM, when I first came across it IIRC asking price was 175...now a guide price 100k less. There's been a few £20k chapels around narbeth that would interest me as somewhere to keep surfboards and somewhere to doss whilst out that way more than anything else

I think it has a high`ish reserv as this is the second maybe third time it has gone to auction

Yes the Church of Pin needs a new building. I will replace the 300 year old clock with a 7 segment LED one.

Always a strong tradition of not moving into old churches / chapels here in Wales - a superstition - in my area nearly all the conversions are lived in by English people who have moved here - they are lovely spaces though. The one thing that would put me off is the proximity of lots of dead bodies eurgh!

Wales is definitely becoming much more popular with the super rich... I'm seeing them buying up huge old houses rather than churches though... I wonder what one of these oligarch types would do with a Welsh chapel though. My dad's village now has Russian, Chinese and English super rich residents... it's becoming positively strange... sheep farmers and the international elite rubbing shoulders doon the pub!

One of the draws may be the lack of crime in the rural west - I mean there isn't any really - I get shocked when I go to Ireland and alarms everywhere - horrendous problems over there.

Edited by gruffydd

The windows are always at the wrong level for the floors, and I assume listing regs prevent people from re-heighting them. It seems a shame, as I think they would look nice with new ground to roof windows/french doors in the appropriate style.

Or the big gardens full of dead people.

I remember looking at a listing for a church once and it mentioned that there was a right of way / easement for those wishing to visit the graveyard.

Guaranteed place in heaven though?

It would make up for all the Sundays that you've missed as a non-practising Christian.

---

Here's an interesting article - Christianity will end in 2067

It’s often said that Britain’s church congregations are shrinking, but that doesn’t come close to expressing the scale of the disaster now facing Christianity in this country. Every ten years the census spells out the situation in detail: between 2001 and 2011 the number of Christians born in Britain fell by 5.3 million — about 10,000 a week. If that rate of decline continues, the mission of St Augustine to the English, together with that of the Irish saints to the Scots, will come to an end in 2067.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/06/2067-the-end-of-british-christianity/

Depending on location, a church could perhaps make a good investment. Convert part of it for your own living, then hire out the rest as a public space for local community groups, licensed wedding venue etc. There are quite a lot of congregations sharing churches these days. Some of the wackier protestant sects get moved on quite often as they make a lot of noise in services, so you'd have to forego your Sunday morning lie -in if you 'lived above the shop'.

Always a strong tradition of not moving into old churches / chapels here in Wales - a superstition - in my area nearly all the conversions are lived in by English people who have moved here - they are lovely spaces though. The one thing that would put me off is the proximity of lots of dead bodies eurgh!

Wales is definitely becoming much more popular with the super rich... I'm seeing them buying up huge old houses rather than churches though... I wonder what one of these oligarch types would do with a Welsh chapel though. My dad's village now has Russian, Chinese and English super rich residents... it's becoming positively strange... sheep farmers and the international elite rubbing shoulders doon the pub!

One of the draws may be the lack of crime in the rural west - I mean there isn't any really - I get shocked when I go to Ireland and alarms everywhere - horrendous problems over there.

Perhaps for me it's childhood memories of summer holidays in a former chapel turned bunkhouse near gwernogle with the extended family that makes it seem a nice idea...

Still would only consider it for chump change though - I'd consider it "posh camping" with space to store hobby stuff rather than a full time home. Not bothered by the graveyards so much, more the inevitable covenant to maintain them for access would turn a retreat into a chore