House Price Crash Forum

Counterfeit Goods Worth A Quarter Of A Trillion Pounds A Year, Says Oecd

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/18/counterfeit-goods-worth-a-quarter-of-a-trillion-pounds-a-year-sa/

Fake goods now make up 2.5pc of all international trade and responsible for roughly the same proportion of global economic output as Austria, according to a new study of pirated products.

Based on data from half a million trade and customs seizures over two years, the research suggests that counterfeit products sold across borders were worth £270bn in 2013.

The impact of pirated goods is even greater in Europe, with as much as 5pc of goods imported into the EU thought to be counterfeit, according to the study by the OECD club of rich nations and the European Observatory on Infringements of Intellectual Property Rights.

The piracy industry appears to have expanded since 2005, when a more limited study found that counterfeit goods made up about 1.9pc of international trade.

And what perecentage of fake goods made up trade in previous centuries?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

What do we mean by "fake"? Could be talking about goods identical in every way, save for the official logo, or a digitally identical film... Or goods that are totally inferior approximations to the orriginal.

You see it all the time with sporting goods especially angling equipment

Big brand names in a different dress but at a fraction of the cost of the one`s with the logo which have certainly came from the same factory/made by with the same tooling

HOLA447

My friend went freelance as a fabric designer about 10 years ago after working for John Lewis.

She went to China with her designs and had some samples made. Using the same factories JL use as she thought she could trust them.

About a year later she saw several of her designs already printed and being sold. She had absolutely no recourse. Factory denied any wrong doing, and they might be right, only takes an employee to take a copy and sell it on to another factory.

So she decided not to go to China again and had the next set printed in the UK....about a year later the same designs were appearing on imported fabrics from China.

Basically the developing world doesn't care about copyright and if that is how you make your money then tough luck.

HOLA448

....the research suggests that counterfeit products sold across borders were worth £270bn in 2013.

Worth, worth what?

Is the £270 bn the cost of making the items?

Is the £270 bn the sale price of the items?

Is the £270 bn the price of the goods if they were replaced with the original items?

Most people wouldn't buy a £1,000 handbag so what actual sale has been lost?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

What do we mean by "fake"? Could be talking about goods identical in every way, save for the official logo, or a digitally identical film... Or goods that are totally inferior approximations to the orriginal.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news/58734/trader-cleared-in-fake-designer-goods-case

‘No one with all their faculties would believe they were real’

A TRADER has been cleared of selling counterfeit goods at Oldham’s Tommyfield Market.

Mr Aspin, from Watersheddings, who sells his watches for £10 and his sunglasses for £3, claimed “no one with all their faculties” would believe the goods were the real brands.

One of his three witnesses, probation service worker Sean Taylor, said: “I wouldn’t know a designer brand if it jumped up and bit me in the face. I bought a watch because it was cheap and I was about to go on holiday.”

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news/58734/trader-cleared-in-fake-designer-goods-case

‘No one with all their faculties would believe they were real’

A TRADER has been cleared of selling counterfeit goods at Oldham’s Tommyfield Market.

Mr Aspin, from Watersheddings, who sells his watches for £10 and his sunglasses for £3, claimed “no one with all their faculties” would believe the goods were the real brands.

One of his three witnesses, probation service worker Sean Taylor, said: “I wouldn’t know a designer brand if it jumped up and bit me in the face. I bought a watch because it was cheap and I was about to go on holiday.”

"passing off" is the real problem area...the above case was clearly without that element. the danger is counterfeit parts in cars, aircraft, machinery, nuclear power plants, space ships etc etc.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You see it all the time with sporting goods especially angling equipment

Big brand names in a different dress but at a fraction of the cost of the one`s with the logo which have certainly came from the same factory/made by with the same tooling

That's because the manufacturer's aim is to make them - Veblen goods (see wikipedia - )

That means that ownership of the item dictates status in society - e.g a fancy car, or a pair of Ray Bans. These items conciously broadcast your status and "tribe" to men and women around you - their purpose is to make you seem a better "choice" either as a friend, business partner or ultimately as a mate.

It has nothing to do with the price of the item, the demand, supply or utility (i.e what the item does) - everything is geared towards the human desire for ego, to impress - we are ultimately animals and you can push our buttons just like rats in a maze.

Edited by katchytitle

HOLA4418

That's because the manufacturer's aim is to make them - Veblen goods (see wikipedia - )

That means that ownership of the item dictates status in society - e.g a fancy car, or a pair of Ray Bans. These items conciously broadcast your status and "tribe" to men and women around you - their purpose is to make you seem a better "choice" either as a friend, business partner or ultimately as a mate.

It has nothing to do with the price of the item, the demand, supply or utility (i.e what the item does) - everything is geared towards the human desire for ego, to impress - we are ultimately animals and you can push our buttons just like rats in a maze.

I really do feel sorry for people that are like you describe...

HOLA4419

That may be true in some cases but there are things that have a foot in both camps.

I have an Omega Seamaster watch - quite pricey but bought 28 years ago and still in perfect condition.

I never take it off, whether sailing, diving or at some fancy do.

I contend that the utility of the watch justifies the price.

PS Doesn't count for a Rolex though - they are worn by tools.

HOLA4420

Made up numbers. I have lots of knock off items, from the markets in Hong Kong and elsewhere, and have given same as gifts to people. I would never buy the original - half the fun is the obviously crappy ones (I have a pair of boxers with Raff Lauren proudly printed on them!)

HOLA4421

It should cost less for having someone's name written on it.....

I don't like logos! I think they are naff, although I do have a Fender guitar sweatshirt, that a mate got me, and I like that. :huh:

HOLA4422

That may be true in some cases but there are things that have a foot in both camps.

I have an Omega Seamaster watch - quite pricey but bought 28 years ago and still in perfect condition.

I never take it off, whether sailing, diving or at some fancy do.

I contend that the utility of the watch justifies the price.

PS Doesn't count for a Rolex though - they are worn by tools.

Oddly enough, I have a similar Omega watch. Only ten tears for me but it's still going. It's not quite in perfect condition, as like you, I don't usually take it off, and it's pleasantly weathered, as I used to work on engines a lot. I don't know why I share your suspicion of Rolex, but I think sometimes they are just too loud, and much more expensive than an Omega. I guess I'm a sucker for brands after all! The Omega is rather plain and few people notice it, only other watch nobs. ^_^