House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stuckin2up2down

Live Above A Car Park

You can't sit on that sofa in the 'living room' if you have a head!

Seriously though, I suppose it's not such a bad idea in terms of use of land - but why so very small?

Edited by RentingForever

Surely the occupiers of the pods would all want to park their own cars in the space below their pod so it would effectively cease to be a car park any longer.

They look nice now but in my experience that exposed wood does not age well. I guess they need it to keep the weight down though.

indeed, many fancy developments use wood for sections and it looks dire after few years. If its a log cabin on the ground easy enough to re-treat every other year, these less so.

It's because they use cheap wood.

And not properly treated wood as well.

Go to North or Eastern Europe or North America and you'll see plenty of wooden houses. Some of which are very old, here's an example of a 200 year old wooden house from Sweden (would love to see what some of today's new build houses look like in 200 years time).

kvarnamo2.jpg

Actually, those houses would be great if you lived in a flood zone

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well. It looks a viable solution for flood-risk areas.

I'd demolish most of Carlisle and build these. Not necessarily as tiny but general idea seems great.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well. It looks a viable solution for flood-risk areas.

I'd demolish most of Carlisle and build these. Not necessarily as tiny but general idea seems great.

and what? Sell the car to buy a boat?

and what? Sell the car to buy a boat?

I am not saying house on stilts strategy will work in an area flooded every year.

But let's say it's an area with a flood expected every 10 years. If I had to live there, I'd much rather have the worst case scenario of staying in a hotel for a week compared to half of my possessions submerged under water, wet carpets and other various repairs required after every flood.

Actually, those houses would be great if you lived in a flood zone

This is quite a common type of design in Japan where you are expected to have your own parking space and space is at a premium.

This is also good for areas prone to flooding.

Living above a car park?

Hey make the most of it while you can.

At the rate we are collectively sinking we will be routinely reading threads about living IN our cars - and reminiscing about those halcyon days when people could afford to live in proper houses with gardens and all.

Living above a car park?

Hey make the most of it while you can.

At the rate we are collectively sinking we will be routinely reading threads about living IN our cars - and reminiscing about those halcyon days when people could afford to live in proper houses with gardens and all

The rent farmers' ultimate ambition:

capsule-hotels-in-japan-5.jpg

When will we stop with all these 'innovative solutions'? We know how to build houses already. Victorian tenements are high-density and of good quality. There is physically enough space, even inside the M25.

It's not the cost of construction that is the problem. It's the vested interests who've engineered a population explosion but who are unwilling to provide the housing infrastructure required because it might upset a few voters or block a few views - or maybe they're just out-of-touch, incompetent, and incapable of organising the effort required.

Build proper apartment blocks out of stone with high ceilings and decent rooms. It would be far more efficient and of far higher standard than Barratt cul-de-sacs or even the high-rise concrete and girder monstrosities the go-getters seem to aspire to.

Who would willingly choose to live in this dystopian shed, given an option?

My PRS house first sold in 2001 for £40k in a private estate. What a difference BTL and liar loans can make to a generation.

Nowadays in the shires a house at the bottom end of the market goes for at least £90k.

The private estate I live in has jumped from £40k- £120k for the same house.

Madness.