House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Free Food App

How will the food bank industry be able to compete with things like this? This app should be banned immediately.

On the same basis as it competes now: a combination of factors headed by posturing.

The whole thing seems based on the premise that the 1/3rd of all food which is thrown away (which is itself a complex statistic*), is thrown away because it is somehow offensive to the person yet they bought it anyway. This isn't usually the case for the normal household:

• Quite a bit is thrown away because it is obviously spoilt before it is used (apples are a massive problem)
  • Another significant proportion is food that has exceeded its use-by date (note, not the sell-by date). Now the food might be okay after this date, but do you want to take it on?
  • A surprising amount is food wasted as part of the preparation process (teabags, potato peelings)
  • And of course food which has been opened but not completely used before it enters the 'might cause food poisoning' state, and
  • The rest is thrown away because it isn't wanted at the end of a meal.

This sort of thing is a bit like recycling - people who clearly vastly over-consume and who are too picky about irrelevant aspects of their food quality (eg, cucumber straightness) will get to feel good about themselves by putting up fractional quantities of their food on this site so they can say 'oh - we put up our unused food on oolliioo, so we're not part of the great food throwing away problem'.

My response to this idea is summed up in one of the comments on the site "Just gave my Abel & Cole vegetables away and that was super fun, I got three people enquiring, and very nice girl came over to pick it up. the whole experience makes me smile since yesterday evening”. Surely this is a piss-take - but it is on the front page!

All that said, there is probably a niche for this for people getting rid of their excess allotment produce...

[*in the food waste statistics about 1/2 is food wasted between producer and retailer]

The whole thing seems based on the premise

Not necessarily. Most of us have occasions when we have something surplus to requirements. You had a party and didn't want people to go hungry (or had everyone bring something). Or you suddenly get called away for a few days, and have some stuff that won't last 'til your return. Or you find yourself unexpectedly eating out a couple of times and have too much sitting around at home.

I customarily deal with those situations by eating vast amounts. Giving it away might be better for the paunch.

Not necessarily. Most of us have occasions when we have something surplus to requirements. You had a party and didn't want people to go hungry (or had everyone bring something). Or you suddenly get called away for a few days, and have some stuff that won't last 'til your return. Or you find yourself unexpectedly eating out a couple of times and have too much sitting around at home.

That is fair - there are niche uses of the app. I just don't think that sort of use will make that much difference to the statistics.

I just think that this sort of thing is mainly of use for over-consumers to feel better about themselves.