House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

One Album Bands

As a variant on one hit wonders these are bands who after years of struggling burst onto the album charts with a stone cold classic, every track a stormer, and then having made the big time just sat back and enjoyed it, producing nothing remotely comparable afterwards, just after-echoes of their Meister work.

The sort of fan who seeks out demos of B sides would disagree but for the rest of us they are a one album band.

I'll throw in a couple of obvious ones:

Guns and Roses

The Stone Roses

Hmmmm, is there a theme there?

As contrast there are bands with such musical and songwriting talent that they keep going and changing, producing consistently excellent albums. Genesis springs to mind for me.

The Strokes - Is this it (although their follow up album Room on Fire wasn't bad, but nothing compared to Is This It, which I absolutely love)

Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and The Cooked (I think the strain of producing a follow up album caused their break up)

Yes, Oasis weren't nearly as clever of the Beatles! I have no albums by either of them.

Graham Norton played a blast from my past this morning on his Radio 2 show.

'Stars' by Dubstar. Their 1995 album was called 'Disgraceful'. I think they had an album after that but they disappeared off the face of the Earth after that.

Another one I thought of from the mid 90s - Echobelly and the album 'On' (King of the Kerb was one of their singles).

Pulp - Different Class. I actually preferred their albums before and after that.

As a variant on one hit wonders these are bands who after years of struggling burst onto the album charts with a stone cold classic, every track a stormer, and then having made the big time just sat back and enjoyed it, producing nothing remotely comparable afterwards, just after-echoes of their Meister work.

The sort of fan who seeks out demos of B sides would disagree but for the rest of us they are a one album band.

I'll throw in a couple of obvious ones:

Guns and Roses

The Stone Roses

Hmmmm, is there a theme there?

As contrast there are bands with such musical and songwriting talent that they keep going and changing, producing consistently excellent albums. Genesis springs to mind for me.

I get using The Stone Roses as an example, but how do Guns n' Roses remotely fit your criteria? They were huge from their first album and had numerous subsequent hit singles and albums.

I get using The Stone Roses as an example, but how do Guns n' Roses remotely fit your criteria? They were huge from their first album and had numerous subsequent hit singles and albums.

Appetite for Destruction - massive, superb album.

Ask anybody to name a GnR song that wasn't either on this album or a cover version and you have a very short list:

November Rain.

I take it you're a fan, I deliberately didn't use one of my most favourite bands as examples because for me all their albums were good. That most of them didn't trouble the compilers of the Top 40 tables would be the public's loss.

Ask anybody to name a GnR song that wasn't either on this album or a cover version and you have a very short list:

November Rain.

I take it you're a fan, I deliberately didn't use one of my most favourite bands as examples because for me all their albums were good. That most of them didn't trouble the compilers of the Top 40 tables would be the public's loss.

You could be mine.

Not a fan, but they were huge during my time at uni so lots of my friends were fans. It seemed every album was top 5 and although all heavy, they weren't repetitive. I think the Use Your Illusions were number 1 and number 2 in the charts at the same time.

November Rain.

The Use your Illusion albums were full of great songs. Here's one you might remember:

The Use your Illusion albums were full of great songs. Here's one you might remember:

Their mistake was spreading the good stuff over two double albums. If they'd cut the illusion stuff down to one album, then they'd have had a great album to follow up Appetite for Destruction.

Brill.

I met Poly Styrene once. She was really lovely, and I touched her fluffy hair (head hair for the fithy minded). :blink: