House Price Crash Forum

George Osborne Says Brexit Will Drive Up Mortgage Rates

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/15/george-osborne-says-brexit-will-drive-up-interest-rates

George Osborne has issued a stark warning that mortgage rates will rise if Britain leaves the European Union.

The chancellor said he thought it was likely interest rates, and therefore the cost of home loans, would rise if Britons vote to leave the EU in the referendum on 23 June.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I think there would be a run on the pound on June 24 th followed by an emergency budget. Interest rates would have to rise to stem the flow of money out of the UK so Osborne is probably correct about mortgage rates going up. From a purely selfish point of view, higher interest rates would be good for me but not so good anyone contemplating house purchase as prices would be kept up by more money printing etc.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

And now we see the advantage for the govt of having a population up to its collective eyeballs in debt. They'll do whatever you want them to do as long as you tie the outcome to the price of their home or the cost of servicing the debt on it. This country is finished.

+1

It is indeed but that isn't just a recent event.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Nice Friday teatime press release, i bet it's all over the teatime news? with analysis from "experts"?

Something for voters to consider over the weekend?

Yup, repeating every ten minutes.

Personally, I can't think of a more compelling reason to vote to leave the EU. Cameron and Osborne out, London house prices fall 50%, interest rates rise. What is there not to like?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I noticed the other main headline news tonight is a terrorism "bust" in Birmingham that was only achieved "thanks to co-operation between european intelligence agencies in Belgium, France & MI5"

News stressed that no charges have been made.

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425