House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

House Prices To Rise In 2006

BBC poor journalism again

This looks to me like the BBC just chruning out the same reports it's already printed, just so they can have another "prices rising" headline.

I don't suppose there is any way of finding out who writes this stuff and challenging them to a debate?

Oh no, I forgot the BBC just reprints VI press releases as news, silly me.

Complain.

Use the Contacts link on the website to express your views. I just did.

It has worked for me in the past. Within an hour I've seen an article re-written to my satisfaction.

Edited by Tester

Complain.

It has worked for me in the past. Within an hour I've seen an article re-written to my satisfaction.

Done. I also asked them to comment on the "increased mortgage lending" story regarding whether it was new lending or simply remortgaging (at higher rates).

Complain.

Just sent the following complaint:

Please could you tell me exactly what is the news element to a story which makes predictions about house prices, future bank of england base rates etc?

This is no more than fortune telling it is certainly not news. If a particular organisation has made very accurate predictions regarding the housing market in the past and is now making an important, newsworthy prediction now then an article clearly showing this might be acceptable. Simply reprinting the statements from mortgage lenders press releases does not constitute "news", it certainly does not involve any active kind of journalism and consequently I feel it devalues the BBC as a news source, particularly since as both a taxpayer and licence fee payer I am paying for this sloppy journalism. I am sure that in this day and age if someone wants to know what a particular mortgage lender is saying they are more than capable of accessing their website. I expect a BBC news report to involve rather more journalistic skill than was demonstrated by this article. What is more the article's headline is contradicted in the text of the article. The headline proudly states that "House prices to rise 3% in 2006" but the article points out that another source, Capital Economics, predicts that house prices will fall by as much as 5% in 2006. This article gives no explanation for favouring (in its headline) one prediction over the other. A more accurate headline would have been, "Predictions for UK Housing Market mixed" or something like that. If the BBC believes that one prediction has more merit than the other then they should explain why. I get fed up with reading articles that bear little relation to their eye-catching headline.

Talk about throwing a hissy fit. What is wrong with me today?

The BBC article refers to a Capital Economics report. Wasn't a new CE report due out this week? Anybody seen it?

They are now predicting a 5% drop next year.

Sorry - Ignore above - Info's already in the BBC article!

Edited by cupidstunt

It is desperate, desperate spin. Note the way the Capital Economics is introduced as "well-known market sceptics".

There there two things I have noticed about the BBC. First is that there is never a negative House Price story.

Second is that there is never a positive Northern Ireland story. If you are in the UK edition, those two links at the bottom of the home page linking to NI stories are invariably filled with crash deaths, rapes, violence, Troubles.

Shame because the beeb is the best website in the world.