House Price Crash Forum

#popthebubble

HOLA441

Enough is enough. My parents bought a detached bungalow in 1980 on a 3.5 x average salary mortgage. Look what has happened since. The gap between sensible mortgage and house price is plugged either by BOMAD or dangerous debt levels. #popthebubble

kkSGE75.png

Edited by Guest

HOLA442

Maybe you should have become a doctor, lawyer, banker or started your own successful business? That's the only way to keep up. If you expect someone to pay you above average wage increases in a neoliberal democracy (that the majority keep voting for) then this is exactly what happens. Each man for himself! That's the way to build a country!

Good luck

HOLA443
HOLA444

Maybe you should have become a doctor, lawyer, banker or started your own successful business? That's the only way to keep up. If you expect someone to pay you above average wage increases in a neoliberal democracy (that the majority keep voting for) then this is exactly what happens. Each man for himself! That's the way to build a country!

No - it has nothing to with the individuals job, just the PTB kicking a broom stick up your back passage (sideways).

HOLA445

Good luck

The problem is average salaries don't buy average houses.... you need doctors' salaries to buy 3 bed semis! And in london you need a PM salary to buy a 1 bed flat!

HOLA446

Good luck

The connection between "hard work" and getting ahead is almost completely broken now. Without a very hefty deposit, a hospital consultant on 70k would struggle to buy a 1 bedder in Hackney now. In fact, on any sort of sane mortgage multiplier (3.5x) she couldn't even buy that.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Cf0-F5UWEAEsDjc.jpg

houses are intentionally being rationed for those on higher salaries/deposits

Builders will only build what they can sell

There is no swing producer (State)

Everyone else forced into private rentier sector

HOLA4410

I've drained my busines of all the money in it, I won't be employing anyone else, won't be having to spend any money on premises or much else. to buy a house without a mortgage designed to enrich the banking sector.

Ok ish for me, crap for the economy as a whole.

HOLA4411
Cf0-F5UWEAEsDjc.jpg
houses are intentionally being rationed for those on higher salaries/deposits
Builders will only build what they can sell
There is no swing producer (State)
Everyone else forced into private rentier sector

Builders are like sharks and any other business. Carry on moving or they'll die.

HOLA4412

I've drained my busines of all the money in it, I won't be employing anyone else, won't be having to spend any money on premises or much else. to buy a house without a mortgage designed to enrich the banking sector.

Ok ish for me, crap for the economy as a whole.

The economy as a whole can no longer compete........only so many available routes to the top....the top is protected for top people. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4413

Read "Capital" by Piketty. He reckons we are returning to the society of 18th century where there was zero inflation, everyone knew their place and there were rentiers and the rest. He has graphs to prove it too. The last century was an aberration with 2 world wars levelling the playing field for a while.

There with that summary I've saved you the trouble of reading the book :)

HOLA4414

It's disgusting - but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Fifteen years of renting and five of sharing with strangers has not been fun. If I manage to get myself into a position where I can afford a mortgage this year, I'll probably take it, despite the historically unfair prices.

There's only so long you can be angry at a society almost totally deaf to your grievance before your energy runs out. :(

HOLA4415

Read "Capital" by Piketty. He reckons we are returning to the society of 18th century where there was zero inflation, everyone knew their place and there were rentiers and the rest. He has graphs to prove it too. The last century was an aberration with 2 world wars levelling the playing field for a while.

The thing I don't get is that there appears to be a sizeable majority of people who either don't believe that this is happening - despite the evidence and statistics staring them in the face - or, worse, who are just fine with a neo-feudal outcome. Their kids will be ok, right, so who cares if some kid from a council estate needs to rent? Never mind that the kid from a council estate could have spent ten years training to be a doctor, or similar, and still be stuffed.

HOLA4416

It has little to do with what job you have, what education you had, how intelligent you are or how hard you work....has more to do with who you were born to, and how much help they can give you...... ;)

Perhaps the main problem is the insufficiency of inheritance tax.

HOLA4417

I think everyone on here has spoken to people who are intellectually blind to the facts they are poorer than ever if you exclude debt. One of the hallmarks of the last 30 years has been convincing people that they will be looked after by the state and their children will be too. Once that myth ends for the majority you are going to see structural changes in the majority and there will be a gross period of uncertainty where house prices will be the least of our worries.

On the other hand, like an animal, it can be argued that human beings can be tamed and domesticated so that as long as their basic needs are met they do not have the requirement to want freedom. If that has happened for the majority of plebs, we are indeed in the Piketty scenario where everyone knows their place.

Edited by katchytitle

HOLA4418

so who cares if some kid from a council estate needs to rent? Never mind that the kid from a council estate could have spent ten years training to be a doctor, or similar, and still be stuffed.

The council estate kids and many others that are locked out from society won't put up with the status quo. History shows they tend to riot when change has stalled.

Hope I'm still alive to see it.....

HOLA4419

Good luck

Consultant surgeons can earn a basic salary of between £75,249 and £101,451 per year

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/surgeon.aspx

Family house near hospital in nr2/nr4

350 with loads over 500/600k

HOLA4420

I don't think thats on people's horizon the profits have come so far so fast its viewed as a get rich scheme.

I literally had the "you can't fail to make money with property' line from a relative who has a multi million £ turnover technology business. Why not concentrate on that FFS why go for BTL on top when none of your money was made that way.

Taxes that directly attack speculation and the cost of carry are the only real solutions.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

No I wouldn't say that, only a relatively small percentage of the population at the moment pay any inheritance tax at all...mostly the working middle classes.......the problem being is those who have the most do not pay it.......I would rather a tax on wealth not income with a reduction in sales tax, VAT.

Another one of the very unfair things about inheritance tax is the fact that single people with and without children pay double.....totally wrong and highly prejudice policy.

HOLA4423

Good luck

What dystopian nonsense - if the average Joes experience housing problems and lack disposable income, then the wider economy goes down with them - try reading Stiglitz.

Neoliberal and democracy don't go together, btw. Nor do neoliberalism and growth... hence the current growth crisis.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4424
HOLA4425