House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

Foreign Aid Spending To Overtake Council Funding Next Year

Foreign aid spending will outstrip the amount given to councils to collect bins, install street lights and run local services for the first time next year, official government estimates show.

Forecasts buried in the Treasury’s Budget book reveal that spending on international development will hit £9.3bn in 2017/18 – overtaking local government spending of £8.2bn that year.

So we are giving money to Pakistan that has a nuclear program and India that has a space program.

At the same time they are switching street lights out and cutting bus services to local communities.

I would scrap all foreign aid or at least give the taxpayer a choice if they want to contribute to it.

I really don't see the point of paying to preserve people to live in parts of our planet that don't support life. We only preserve them to breed more people that we have to help. Is there something I'm missing, apart from compassion?

I really don't see the point of paying to preserve people to live in parts of our planet that don't support life. We only preserve them to breed more people that we have to help. Is there something I'm missing, apart from compassion?

What makes it worse is we are borrowing this money, creating debt for the unborn to repay.

We could halve the "foreign aid" spending and totally scrap council tax bills. Would anyone be against that?

I'm in favour of foreign aid but what has gone wrong here is Cameron, in his usual muddle-headed way, has seized upon the 0.7% of GDP ideal and gone for this; ignoring actual benefits and need.

It's similar to the "green" energy generation targets that have left us with energy costs double those of the US and amongst other casualties have just helped to destroy our high energy consuming steel industry.

Stupid arbitrary targets should not be dictating government policy.

I'm in favour of foreign aid but what has gone wrong here is Cameron, in his usual muddle-headed way, has seized upon the 0.7% of GDP ideal and gone for this; ignoring actual benefits and need.

It's similar to the "green" energy generation targets that have left us with energy costs double those of the US and amongst other casualties have just helped to destroy our high energy consuming steel industry.

Stupid arbitrary targets should not be dictating government policy.

Aren't these targets from the UN?

Foreign aid is counterproductive and unsustainable in places like Palestinian territories and damaging for their economic self-worth (and it gets hopelessly squandered on palaces).

Aren't these targets from the UN?

The aid one is, the green generation one derives from Kyoto IIRC but may also have been taken up by the evil empire in Brussels.

Edit: and that makes it even worse that we are slavishly following them. Any grown-up government would look at its own situation and decide what it should realistically be aiming to do and set that as a target. Not let some unelected third party impose their ideas.