House Price Crash Forum

Help Replacing A Bath Plug Please

Ill_handle_it

HOLA441

I'm having trouble fitting a bath plug or more precisely getting the old one out.

The bath is leaking and underneath. The plug is spinning around and the screw which attaches the unit to the lower part just spins around. The screw head is now fubr.

14m77nr.jpg

I think the screw goes into a plate or something which is spinning around with the plug itself but I'm not sure. My first play with plumbing.

It looks like the

Adapter with overflow connection on this page

Any advice please ? Can't use bath ! Thanks in advance.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Short of drilling out the screw - which you are probably going to have to do to remove it - you can simply try using a plumber's silicon sealant to stop the leak. You would have to force it underneath the plug-hole, wait 24 hours for it to dry and see whether it works.

Otherwise, it is drilling out the screw and then fitting a new unit. Plumber's Mate is the stuff you would use between the underside of the bath plug-hole unit and its washer.

Here is a video that is actually useful.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Switch to renting so it's your landlord's problem ;)

I had a problem with a broken plug in the bath. Told the agent, and a few hours later got a call from the plumber (who happens to be the landlord's brother) to fix a time to come & fix it. Fortunately I have a separate walk-in shower :D

HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm having trouble fitting a bath plug or more precisely getting the old one out.

The bath is leaking and underneath. The plug is spinning around and the screw which attaches the unit to the lower part just spins around. The screw head is now fubr.

14m77nr.jpg

I think the screw goes into a plate or something which is spinning around with the plug itself but I'm not sure. My first play with plumbing.

It looks like the

Adapter with overflow connection on this page

Any advice please ? Can't use bath ! Thanks in advance.

Drill it out.

re-tap the screw hole.

cover the plug orifice in sealant and then fit new plug with slightly bigger screw+ screwlock.

simple

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks. I'm really looking to replace the waste part. I'm not sure what to buy ?

How does this have a threaded part it screws into or does it have plastic nut that goes underneath ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bath-Waste-Kit-with-Chrome-Metal-Plug-tidy-plug-stored-in-overflow-pocket-4002-/141489098831?

The tread is for the waste pipe to screw onto the screw you are trying to undo just sandwidges the baths shell between the strainer and the waste fitting below with a rubber seal each side

$_12.JPG

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The tread is for the waste pipe to screw onto the screw you are trying to undo just sandwidges the baths shell between the strainer and the waste fitting below with a rubber seal each side

$_12.JPG

Thanks - this

goes into detail. I'm not sure if the parts underneath are all standard or if they'll come apart in one piece. I don't want to start without all the parts. So I'll replace everything. The waste pipe is easy to find but the other bits,less straight forward,for me at least.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Thanks - this

goes into detail. I'm not sure if the parts underneath are all standard or if they'll come apart in one piece. I don't want to start without all the parts. So I'll replace everything. The waste pipe is easy to find but the other bits,less straight forward,for me at least.

Best bet, take all the parts off (in one piece conneted together if you can, then take them to your nearest trade plumbing centre and just ask for a kit to replace what you have got.

HOLA4418

Once plumbing goes wrong, you have to burn your house down and claim on the insurance, and then spend some time in prison where the plumbing works. My instinct is to get a plumber in. They have all the tools, and can do in half an hour, a job that would have taken you a day.

HOLA4419

Thanks - this

You can buy complete kits of these parts in DIY stores.

HOLA4420

You can buy complete kits of these parts in DIY stores.

I believe you are thinking of a very different store, where your "imaginary" uncle bought parts and made a steam powered love pump.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The problem with the steam powered love pump is that you have to keep stirring the coals.

Lots of knobs to fiddle with.

Like saxophones! Fingering is easy, but I need to practice on the blowing.

Archived