House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Brown Pants Time For Morthercare

I'm a new dad, so have learned a lot about baby stores recently (before, I didn't really notice them much).

My wife and I only shop in the mothercare during sales. Their products and clothes are too expensive and easily undercut by Asda, Sainsburys etc.who actually do quite nicely on the quality front, particularly for baby clothes. The likes of home bargains make much of the toy and plasticware at a fraction of the price, and such things need not be good quality as they get lost/stepped on/broken quickly anyway.

Mothercare seem to be too expensive. Their stores are often in locations or shopping centres where people seek value as well.

That said, its always mothercare vouchers we get given by friends, so I guess they have a certain brand reputation from years back.

I'm a new dad, so have learned a lot about baby stores recently (before, I didn't really notice them much).

My wife and I only shop in the mothercare during sales. Their products and clothes are too expensive and easily undercut by Asda, Sainsburys etc.who actually do quite nicely on the quality front, particularly for baby clothes. The likes of home bargains make much of the toy and plasticware at a fraction of the price, and such things need not be good quality as they get lost/stepped on/broken quickly anyway.

Mothercare seem to be too expensive. Their stores are often in locations or shopping centres where people seek value as well.

That said, its always mothercare vouchers we get given by friends, so I guess they have a certain brand reputation from years back.

IIRC post 2007 it was in trouble.

They have high service and advice standards. Good one stop shop if you have high income/little spare time. I don't shop there as that isn't me, but I see their market.

They have high service and advice standards. Good one stop shop if you have high income/little spare time. I don't shop there as that isn't me, but I see their market.

Not in my experience. Went in there about a year ago trying to buy a buggy, and the collection of shop assistants couldn't even unfold the thing! Eventually gave up and ordered one online.

Edited by Craig_

The second one was the point at which having children was noticeable from my POV. With one, Mrs JTB just got on with it and I barely noticed. With two knocking around the house (with only a one year gap) I suddenly had to get involved!

I found their stores poorly staffed and lacking knowledgeable staff able to give advice to help facilitate a purchase, which is what they need to do at the prices they are asking - i.e. offer good customer service, like mamas and papas do (but at a price).

Also looked at pushchairs and the Mothercare junior sales assistant was about 16-18 and unable to demonstrate. This would be the same in a large Asda. The John Lewis, conversely, had an expert salesperson, and surprisingly matched the price of mothercare. I suspect there is a lot of profit margin in baby goods, hence why John Lewis can price match with their higher overheads.

With new babies, people will give you hand-me-downs and things are very cheap at charity shops. You need a quality pram (sit-in, as flat ones only last 2 months), a quality cot and a quality bottle sterilizer system - microwave being very handy - IMHO. Everything else can be cheap and lower quality as little one grows so quickly anyway and half of baby accessories get lost or left behind/stepped on long before they wear out.

Edit: Oh, and a quality car seat to make the list complete (again, friends can offer hand-down or some prams come with a free one)

Edited by Does Commute Abit

When you have a baby, suddenly its all you want to talk about.

Maybe I should find a baby forum for a while to deal with this - if only they weren't full of mortgaged, smug "my house is worth blah" types.......(***hugs***)

They closed down the Central Manchester store recently. The early learning centre bit upstairs was quite handy for keeping a toddler entertained for a while without actually buying much.

We find John Lewis baby equipment to be pretty poor quality.

When you have a baby, suddenly its all you want to talk about.

Maybe I should find a baby forum for a while to deal with this - if only they weren't full of mortgaged, smug "my house is worth blah" types.......(***hugs***)

One of the main things I'm looking forward to when the decline/crash comes is checking Mumsnet.