House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Cool + Loosely Educational Kids Programmes - Ulysses 31

So whilst we like to take the kids on fun educational trips and also get exercise and outdoor time with them, sometimes they just want to slob in front of the TV. Thankfully they are past Peppa Pig and Thomas, and quite enjoy things with a bit of peril, plot and characterization - Scooby-Doo is currently popular (especially the Mystery Inc Series, which is by far the best).

I was thinking of other series from when I was young and I thought what a great idea to get them Ulysses 31 - an EPIC Homeric Poem dressed up as a Space Opera, what could possibly be better than that. We now have the complete series in both English and French - the reason for the French version being that it is digitally remastered (it was a Franco-Japanese series) and I have the excuse of helping the kids learn French.

My wife has been thoroughly taken in by this.

So my question, what other series would you recommend?

I enjoyed Monkey Magic as a kid, which was based upon Buddhist teachings.

Ha. It was a cult following, when I were a lad!

I think it was called the story of life or something like that. It was French but redubbed in English. Early Saturday morning on channel 4. Had people flying around inside the body fighting viruses and bacteria etc. I'm scared to Google it or re-watch it in case it doesn't live up to the memories.

I enjoyed Monkey Magic as a kid, which was based upon Buddhist teachings.

I have the boxset. It looks dated but still has a beautiful humour to it, contrasting the Buddhist teaching instructions of Tripitaka (?) with the actions of Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy.

My elder son LOVES the Percy Jackson books and has become quite the expert on Greek Myths and surprisingly knowledgeable about Greco-Roman culture.

I think it was called the story of life or something like that. It was French but redubbed in English. Early Saturday morning on channel 4. Had people flying around inside the body fighting viruses and bacteria etc. I'm scared to Google it or re-watch it in case it doesn't live up to the memories.

Once upon a time... Life

Amazing, Loved it as a very young kid. Learned more about anatomy in a year than in most of the rest of my life.

The Mysterious Cities Of Gold if not just for the theme song.

Oh wow, used to watch that! The theme tune is certainly epic.

In the same vein as that one and Ulyssees 31, there was also 'Around the World in 80 days with Willy Fogg'.

In a, probably ill-considered, attempt to be a cool uncle I let my eleven year old nephew take home with him the Spartacus DVD boxset I had finished watching.

I'm pretty sure he's fairly knowledgable on the whole Spartacus legend now but, I'm led to believe, his mother is less pleased with him proclaiming loudly, in moments of frustration, 'when will gods take c0ck from ar5e?'.

I have the boxset. It looks dated but still has a beautiful humour to it, contrasting the Buddhist teaching instructions of Tripitaka (?) with the actions of Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy.

My elder son LOVES the Percy Jackson books and has become quite the expert on Greek Myths and surprisingly knowledgeable about Greco-Roman culture.

A good tip! Percy Jackson into Amazon!

In a, probably ill-considered, attempt to be a cool uncle I let my eleven year old nephew take home with him the Spartacus DVD boxset I had finished watching.

I'm pretty sure he's fairly knowledgable on the whole Spartacus legend now but, I'm led to believe, his mother is less pleased with him proclaiming loudly, in moments of frustration, 'when will gods take c0ck from ar5e?'.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I remember John Hannah giving an interview where he said he was going to take his wife and kids onto the set to watch filming, when he realised he'd be bathing with a naked Lucy Lawless while f**king a slave girl, so thought better of it!

Also who remembers Battle of the Planets, which was actually a totally bastardised version of Gatachaman Science Ninja Team.

Having read up on this (at the age of 42) I now discover that the bit I always used to hate with 7-zark-7 was just infill to explain away the more violent bits of the Japanese anime that had been edited out to make it "suitable" for western audiences.

I recall feeling short changed on this at the time, even in 1979 or whenever I watched this as a kid.

Even worse, you can't buy Gatchaman on a UK DVD.

Don't know how modern kids would react to this which completely enthralled me as a youngster:

I love introducing my two to classic stuff that almost none of their contemporaries will have heard of. When they were very young it was movie cartoons like Max Fleischer's Betty Boop and 1930s Disney Silly Symphonies; more recently Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers. There's about 100 years of the very best TV and cinema ever made available for free now online.

Also who remembers Battle of the Planets, which was actually a totally bastardised version of Gatachaman Science Ninja Team.

Having read up on this (at the age of 42) I now discover that the bit I always used to hate with 7-zark-7 was just infill to explain away the more violent bits of the Japanese anime that had been edited out to make it "suitable" for western audiences.

I recall feeling short changed on this at the time, even in 1979 or whenever I watched this as a kid.

Even worse, you can't buy Gatchaman on a UK DVD.

My kids love Gatchaman. It's much better than the Battle of the Planets cut.

My favourites were Dogtanion and the three muskerhounds, cities of gold, Ulysses. I guess I was into the shows that had a continuing story. My girls are into Ninjago at the moment which has continuation.

Others I liked were the moomins, and terrahawks, although they were a bit freaky.

Slightly off-topic, but my two-year-old is obsessed with Hey Duggee at the moment. Not particularly educational, but very funny.

The Pig has its moments, The Clangers is still class and Night Garden has served us well, but the rest of CBeebies/Channel 5's output can feck right off. You can tell I've watched a lot over the last couple of years!

theme hospital...teaches them how to run a hospital better than current managers. salary £180K