House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stuckin2up2down

Boomers Life Expectancy

Has anyone seen any recent reports or predictions on this?

I can only judge what I see, but around here 50% are obese, and 30% are overweight. This includes the "healthy ones" I see at the gym during the daytime. I've long thought that boomers won't last as long as their parents and they don't appear to be in good health.

Of my parents friends (late 60s) 2 in their group of 8 have died in the last few years. All this is just anecdotal obviously.

I know two GPs in Austria who have been in practice for ~30 years each and they often report that people born in the 1940s and 1950's are not living as long as their parents born 1900->1930s. They blame the lifestyle, those born after the war, since their young adulthood at least, have been able to eat and drink as much as they wanted and drove everywhere unlike their parents. The frequent divulging of these facts always leads to the discussion about whether it's better to live a shorter life enjoying the pleasures of eating, drinking etc... or whether it's better to abstain from indulgence and live a little longer in old age....

As I'm sure is brought up in this conversation it might be better to die from a massive heart attack or brain haemorrhage at a relatively young age than to live longer and get dementia, Alzheimer's, a nasty form of cancer, etc.

We all die of something.

I know two GPs in Austria who have been in practice for ~30 years each and they often report that people born in the 1940s and 1950's are not living as long as their parents born 1900->1930s. They blame the lifestyle, those born after the war, since their young adulthood at least, have been able to eat and drink as much as they wanted and drove everywhere unlike their parents. The frequent divulging of these facts always leads to the discussion about whether it's better to live a shorter life enjoying the pleasures of eating, drinking etc... or whether it's better to abstain from indulgence and live a little longer in old age....

Maybe the machine guns of two world wars killed very healthy people and effectively selected for the less healthy.

I can believe this - especially if you also add in ready access to fags, and for later boomers drugs.

Maybe the machine guns of two world wars killed very healthy people and effectively selected for the less healthy.

I think it was the enforced health eating caused by many years of rationing. Remember, sugar didn't come off ration till around 1954.

As I'm sure is brought up in this conversation it might be better to die from a massive heart attack or brain haemorrhage at a relatively young age than to live longer and get dementia, Alzheimer's, a nasty form of cancer, etc.

We all die of something.

Absolutely.

These days, with the obsession with prolonging life without considering the quality of that life, you need to protect yourself with a living will.

The RSPCA prosecute pet owners for not ending the suffering of their pets whilst the medical profession is judged on how long a human heart can de kept beating.

I think it was the enforced health eating caused by many years of rationing. Remember, sugar didn't come off ration till around 1954.

For sure there wasn't as many overweight and unfit people about 50 years ago. How long you live will depend on how you live, where you live and the type of work you do and for how long you do that work, amount stress and anxiety you experience .....how wealthy you are is less of a factor imo, many wealthy people highly indulge in the good things in life, more about how intelligent you are, than rich you are....down to how much you like yourself and your life to put extra effort into caring for it.

No magic pills or potions can make you live longer, no cosmetic surgery can make you live longer, only you can make you live longer....genes not withstanding. ;)

We all die of something.

This argument often overlooks that people can live well into their 70s and 80s and be healthy and active. Removing genetics, which play a significant part I'll admit, a lot of it is down to the person and the choices they make. Living a long healthy life is much more preferable to a short, unhealthy one with a swift death at the end. And anyway, a lot of conditions brought about by a carefree lifestyle - gout, obesity, diabetes etc - are pretty horrid to have.

Certainly the war time generation, like my dad, who was a child during the war, wouldn't have had excessive pies or access to a car. Bicycles or a horse got him around.

Some of us may be popping our clogs a bit early. Sex and drugs and Rock and Roll. All the food you can eat. We can't complain. Speaking personally I can say we had a bucket of fun. It was a great trip, and for many of us it still is.

It would be nice to think that the boomers will all just gorge themselves to an early death in an orgy of self indulgence and greed.

But as part of their self obsessed nature most of the boomers I know tend to go the doctors at least once a month with the slightest ailment (imaginary or otherwise) and in most cases the doctors seem to pander to their whiny requests for tests and medication... meanwhile I've been to the docs twice in the last 15 years and each time I've basically been fobbed off and dismissed.

This argument often overlooks that people can live well into their 70s and 80s and be healthy and active. Removing genetics, which play a significant part I'll admit, a lot of it is down to the person and the choices they make. Living a long healthy life is much more preferable to a short, unhealthy one with a swift death at the end. And anyway, a lot of conditions brought about by a carefree lifestyle - gout, obesity, diabetes etc - are pretty horrid to have.

Your muscular skeletal system tends to give out on you from the late 70s onwards no matter how fit and active you have been. Essentially you rust out.

I don't disagree with that. We don't get to choose what we may or may not come down with though.

It would be annoying to be sitting on your cloud thinking back to how you went without most of the things that you liked, in an attempt to prolong your life, up until the moment you were hit by the bus.

It's a personal choice, one man's meat is another man's poison.

It would be nice to think that the boomers will all just gorge themselves to an early death in an orgy of self indulgence and greed.

But as part of their self obsessed nature most of the boomers I know tend to go the doctors at least once a month with the slightest ailment (imaginary or otherwise) and in most cases the doctors seem to pander to their whiny requests for tests and medication... meanwhile I've been to the docs twice in the last 15 years and each time I've basically been fobbed off and dismissed.

I hope you wont be too upset to hear I am over sixty and have a BMI of 22.