House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Bbc2: Them Or Us

Mildly interesting doc (or mildly boring, if you're a glass half empty person).

Didn't realise that Ted Heath was actually responsible for Britain's negotiating with the EU before he became PM. Probably just a freak of circumstances that GB actually ended up joining, with Heath committed to fullfilling his negotiations when he got the chance as PM, and having gained the sympathy/respect of the French. Also the deviousness required to actually get it through parliament. Very Yes Ministerish.

edit: although I suppose de Gaulle rejecting Macmillan's advances was also unexpected, so, swings and roundabouts. But I would still guess, that there was probably a window of only a few years between 1974 and 1979 when the majority of both the electorate and political elite was in favour of EU membership

Second half last night. Just about kept me awake for the hour. I had forgotten:

The Dutch had previously voted against the EU (in the referendum on the EU constitution, as did the French). I assume everyone else forgot it too, because no one metioned it in the context of the recent Dutch vote against EU Ukraine policy.

Thatcher was initially pro European, but she was so insistant on getting our money back, that it soured the relationship on all sides.

How refreshing Tony Blair seemed once.

Ted Heath was a benevolent Tory cu*t.

Thatcher was a malevolent Tory cu*t

Either way - they're both Tory c*nts...

XYY

It would have been better if Robinson had come up with a documentary about the issues involved, not yet another history run-through of who said what in which summit.

Robert Peston on ITV tomorrow (Thursday) at 7:30. Not sure if I trust him, mind.

It would have been better if Robinson had come up with a documentary about the issues involved, not yet another history run-through of who said what in which summit.

Yes, it sounded like that was what it would be from the title. Instead it was a question of whether we are separate from Europe ('them') or part of it ('us'), mainly focused on the past.