House Price Crash Forum

More We're All Phooked, Race To The Bottom, Tin Foil Hatter Paranoia

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Could you explain the tax/NI bit?

I'm what now seems to be called a "middle income earner". Earns too much to get tax credits but not enough to serve champagne and caviar every night.

GO made a great fanfare in the budget about raising the tax threshold so people like me pay less tax. Unfortunately for me, the changes to pension and removal of the serps opt out has increase my NI by far more than I get back for the tax change. As there is no pay rise this tax year, from March to April my take home pay has gone down.

Isn't it a 1.4% national insurance increase for those of us previously opted out? As well as a 3.4% increase in my company's NI bill.

I suspect This will not be the last moan you hear on the subject.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The tax system in the UK is far too complicated, thats why they get away with it as most people will just shrug their shoulders as it is too hard to work out.

I employ an accountant and know more than most peeps through years of experience and even I have found it too hard to accurately predict this year.

Will wait till the dust settles and adjust accordingly later in the year.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The tax system in the UK is far too complicated, thats why they get away with it as most people will just shrug their shoulders as it is too hard to work out.

I employ an accountant and know more than most peeps through years of experience and even I have found it too hard to accurately predict this year.

Will wait till the dust settles and adjust accordingly later in the year.

Also, one risks being branded an evil Tory little better than a Russian gangster if one uses legitimate tax avoidance schemes. In the popular mind it seems that it's ok to get relief on tax if the government does it for you (tax credits etc) but not if you do it yourself!

HOLA4413

Also, one risks being branded an evil Tory little better than a Russian gangster if one uses legitimate tax avoidance schemes. In the popular mind it seems that it's ok to get relief on tax if the government does it for you (tax credits etc) but not if you do it yourself!

Depends on whether you preach deficit hysteria or not, which would be a tad hypocritical no?