House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Te Mata

First Home Buyers Disappear

I reckon any "investor" looking for "bargains" in the next 2-3 years will be crushed over the next ten. Unless we get hyperinflation, I not interested in property at all in the foreseeable future. Renting is just too good a deal, particularly here in the antipodes.

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,1...665-462,00.html

AUSTRALIA'S property industry fears a doomsday scenario: a generation of potential first home buyers permanently squeezed out of the market.

Latest research from the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) has found a massive slump in sales to first home buyers.

The REIQ said the number of first home buyers had decreased 50 per cent statewide since the Federal Government introduced first homeowner grants in July 2000.

Queensland, like most of Australia, has experienced a property boom in the first few years of the new century.

In the first three to four years of the decade prices doubled as Queensland, boosted by an increase in interstate migration, caught up with trends in southern states.

Even though real estate markets in Brisbane and in most capital cities have gone into decline since early 2004, owning property has become the impossible dream for a growing number of people.

The more I read about the need to use tax revenues to support a bubble housing market via FTb grants in Auss, and Key Worker schemes in the UK. The more I'm convinced being out of this market and in rented accomadation is the right thing to do. There may be disagreement as to when the correction really takes hold, but when it does it's going to be very ugly. Market dynamics dictate the more overbought a market becomes the more telling the correction.