House Price Crash Forum

Why So Many Chiropractors + Osteopaths?

spyguy

HOLA441

Did they then get you all goose-stepping up and down the car park?

Someone was certainly getting goosed in the car-park - but then that is quite normal in Peterlee...!

It was when they started herding us toward our muster-point adjacent to the shower-block of the local college that I decided to make a sharp exit...

XYY

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Sorry to hear this.

Of course it is not a lack of calcium that is causing the pulse to disappear - you know that :) You have compression on nerves or arteries that is causing this. Again, you know this.

But why has this happened? OK, it might as the result of a traumatic injury - sporting injury, whiplash, whatever. Usually docs and chiros concentrate on one of those as being the cause. But what if it is something else?

Look, this can also happen. Lack of Vitamin D means calcium is not absorbed by your skeleton. This can go on for years and years without the person knowing about it. What then happens is that calcium builds up in the soft tissues of your body - your muscles, your organs, your nerves, etc. etc. But it also starts to create bone spurs and growths ON the bone as opposed to be absorbed by the bone.

This is something that, believe it or not, the likes of Einstein and Marie Curie, amongst others, researched.

Few medics are aware that this goes on - they ain't trained about it. In fact, for decades the medical belief was that bone spurs and calcium deposts on the skeleton were due to too much calcium. Now, we know it is due to calcium not being absorbed due to the lack of D3, magnesium and K. But, of course, the world is still populated with vast numbers of doctors who still think the wrong thing.

The bones and soft tissues gradually calcify over time - your vertaebrae, as one example, can develop bone spurs and can even begin to gown calcium deposits over several vertaebrae beginning, at first, to stiffen them but, eventually, to fuse the vertaebrae together. Gradually, very slowly, over time you begin to lose mobility and flexibility in your spine. You think it is an ache and pain because you slept the wrong way or were hunched over a computer... or whatever...

Your body is actually trying to protect the skeleton from becoming more and more deficient in calcium but, bizarrely, because you do not have enough D3, magnesium and K, your skeleton cannot absorb that calcium so, as I said, it calcifies the soft tissues and grows calcium deposits on the skeleton. Even the discs in your spine can become calcified.

So, what happens when you get all that calcification? Well, one thing is that your heart can one day contract and be unable to relax for the next beat and you have a heart attack. But another thing is that the spine becomes compressed and that compression puts pressure on nerves, arteries and veins. Calcium deposits can simply grow into a nerve or artery putting constant pressure on it or interrupting the flow. You end up with things like numbness in parts of your body or loss of pulse.

If you don't correct the underlying problem with calcium not being absorbed you will just get worse.

I know because, yes my son, I was that soldier :)

I am NOT a doctor but I am someone who has been down this road. Vast amounts of D3, mmagnesium, K and increasing my calcium intake gradually, slowly, brought movement back to my spine that, when my spine began moving, I was so shocked that I had actualy been living for years and years with limited mobility. I had got used to it.

My breathing was terrible because my rib cage could not move because my spine was compressed and calcified. I also had, for decades, an occasional numbness in my left lower arm. I kid you not, but as a youngster, I feared that I might have had leprosy or some other neurological illness. Once I began to correct the cause a lot of terrible symptoms disappeard including the numbness in my left lower arm.

I will shut up now. But just, finally, say that you also need to do exercises to help free and 'break' what has happened to your spine/skeleton. But you first need to get the body reabsorbing the calcium again and that will not happen without magnesium, D3, some K and calcium.

Sorry for ranting.

(I haven't gone back to check this or spell-check it so if it sounds like gibberish just let me know.) :D

Thanks for the response. I have just paid for a T spine X-ray and do have a few bone spurs. I also suffer quite regularly with costochondritis.

I've paid to see a neuro who thought it was dystonia. I've had EMG, brain scan, c spine scan but my growing concern is the pain around my breast and under my arm. The physio says that pec pain is normal with this condition but it's such a deep pain that when its at its worst the idea of having a rib out seems like the only form of escape.

I'm open to trying anything so I will seriously look at your suggestions.

HOLA443

Thanks for the response. I have just paid for a T spine X-ray and do have a few bone spurs. I also suffer quite regularly with costochondritis.

I've paid to see a neuro who thought it was dystonia. I've had EMG, brain scan, c spine scan but my growing concern is the pain around my breast and under my arm. The physio says that pec pain is normal with this condition but it's such a deep pain that when its at its worst the idea of having a rib out seems like the only form of escape.

I'm open to trying anything so I will seriously look at your suggestions.

OK, not meaning to sound dismissive of what you have written but - been there, got the t-shirt. :D

In what I described - in my long rant :D - costochondritis is often considered and/or diagnosed when it is actually all the stuff that I mentioned earlier. Either the doctor diagnoses it as costochondritis or the patient, in our internet age, goes online and does a google out of desperation.

I would like you to consider that what you might be experiencing is in fact osteomalacia - the adult form of rickets. Rickets and osteomalacia occur when the bone cannot absorb calcium due to a lack of vitamin D, magnesium and k. In other words, all the stuff that I wrote in my previous posts. I was going to mention osteomalacia at the time but I was waiting for you to mention something else... which you now have done so.

Osteomalacia often manifests itself first in chest pain in the sternum, or a hip - usually the right for some reason or the shins. But mostly it is the sternum. It can also radiate around under the armpits.

I know this because I have read up on it after listening to Professor Michael Hollick talk about it with regard to vitamin D deficiency but also because, for more years than I can remember, I had terrible pain in my sternum. In fact, it got so bad that I could not even touch my sternum even lightly and this eventually included the left side of my chest, included all the ribs, and right underneath my armpit.

It was agony. I used to rub heat rub into it, which gave some relief, but it was agony to begin to do so. I could feel the gaps between my ribs crunching under my fingers as I rubbed and it was just awful. But it would, briefly, give me some relief. I had the same thing right underneath my left armpit. The right side was similarly affected but not as much as the left hand side.

For years I was diagnosed with costochondritis by doctors and reasons given were that I had pulled something exercising playing football, or running or in the gym. It seemed to make sense. But, unlike with costochondritis, I just got worse and worse instead of getitng better.

But I just go iller and iller. I went from someone who was running 10 miles a day and working a demanding job to being barely able to breath, hyperventilating at times, suffering terrible panic attacks and being unable to work for more years than I want to think about.

The NHS had no answer because NHS docs are simply not trained in any of this. If you can find a retired doc in their 70s or 80s they will know about it. But the NHS, for decades, has not been training people about this stuff. No money in it for the drug companies. No perks for the docs.

In the last few years rickets has begun to make a reappearance - so much so that GPs have been trained how to spot it. Why - because most GPs have never had to deal with it. Rickets was considered something eliminated 60 or so years ago. Many doctors do not know that adults can get rickets and that is called osteomalacia.

We get it because most of us do not get enough vitamin d because we do not get enough sunshine.

Even when we go out in the sun most of us cover ourselves in sunscreen which stops ALL vitamin D production. I know this because Michael Hollick has written and talked about this extensively. This is the stuff that Einstein and Marie Curie, amongst others, were working on at various points.

Look, as I posted previously, I am not a doctor but I would ask you to seriously consider all the stuff I have written. Try the viitamin D, magnesium, K and calcium. It will not be a magic cure that heals overnight. It will take between 3 to 6 months for you to see some response and it probably will be a year or so before you begin to feel well.

What I will say is that I ended up so ill that I could not leave the house. I was in a bad way. I joke now that if Sainsburys and Tescos did not do deliveries that I would have starved to death. I kept going from doctor to doctor, consultant to consultant and, in the end, I could tell that they were thinking that it was all in my head. Then, by chance, I came across a Michael Hollick video on youtube and he mentioned patients who get referred to him and being told by the referring doctor that the patient is probably suffering from mental health problems. Then, after giving them the stufff I have mentioned, he has turned their lives around.

He saved my life. I can remember it well. I took my first vitamin D on January 23rd after several years of being almost totally housebound - and when I went out I could not cross from one side of the road to another - and on the following March 1st, after taking mega doses of D3 and magnesium, some k and calcium, I went for a short ride on my bike. I felt that i had climbed Everest.

I can rant about this forever - I am trying to get across to you that I have been in a hole and the hole sounds very similar to the one that you are now in. It might not be the right answer but I suggest it is worth trying before something major like surgery.

HOLA444

For years I was seeing doctors and consultants about my deterioating breathing, panic attacks, hyperventilation and, well, loads oof stuff that was just getting worse and worse. I know a lot of the docs I saw and they could not understand how I had gone from long distance runner, weight-trainer, keep-fit fanatic.

Bizarrely, I would regularly mention chest pain in the sternum and they just dismissed it. I became convinced that they just got to the point where they had decided that it was all in my head. It is a great get out clause for doctors.

About 3 or 4 months into getting well I told several doctors that I was taking mega doses of vitamin D as well as all the other stuff I mentoned. They told me that I would poison myself. I clearly recall sitting in a room being told this by them and a few basically smirked at what I was telling them. I countered it by using the info on vitamin D that I had learnt from Michael Hollick and others - i.e. the mega dose I was talking daily was naturally created in 20 minutes in the sun anyhow so how could it be dangerous? Could it not be needed? Stuff like that.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I quickly realised that they knew little or nothing about vitamin D and that I probably knew far more than them about how a lack of vitamin D affects the body and mind.

Anyhow, about 6 months aftter I began to get well I had doctors asking me to order vitamin D for them. About 18 or 24 months after I had begun down this road I found myself in the bizarre situation where I was in a room listening to several of these same doctors waxing lyrical about the importance of vitamin D as if I had never heard of it and they had been experts on it since birth. Oh well, as long as they have the knowledge to help others.

One more thing. A good friend of mine, aged 50 at the time, had been suffering terrible hip pain for several years. She had seen doctor after doctor with no joy and had been told that a hip replacement was on the cards. She, having seen my recovery, asked if I could help and I told her what to take. One month after she began on the D3, magnesium, calcium and K she telephoned me about dawn one morning - she woke me up - to excitedly tell me that it was the first morning in years that she had awoken with no intense pain. She still had a dull ache but I told her that it too would go in a few months. It did. That was about 5 or 6 years ago and she has had no pain since and rides a horse several times a week now.

The NHS did nothing for her.

Here is the Michael Hollick video that I first saw. It is an hour long but it flies by.

Of course, I could be talking a load of rubbish :D

Archived