House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Router Grief. Ee Brght Box 2.

Hullo

My 2.4ghz wifi seems to have died. Everything in the router settings is enabled. (Having disabled, then re-enabled twice). Green wireless light is on.

I have a functioning wired connection, and apparently a 5ghz connection too, though nothing seems to be able to coneect to that either. My phone certainly has 5ghz capability.

5ghz is showing up in the scans but 2.4ghz is nowhere to be seen.

It simply ceased to be.

Is it fried and time for another? Or has someone been funking with my junk?

Thanks y'alls.

Hullo

My 2.4ghz wifi seems to have died. Everything in the router settings is enabled. (Having disabled, then re-enabled twice). Green wireless light is on.

I have a functioning wired connection, and apparently a 5ghz connection too, though nothing seems to be able to coneect to that either. My phone certainly has 5ghz capability.

It simply ceased to be.

Thanks y'alls.

Have you tried changing the Channel on the 2.4ghx range and seeing if that works? You might have something in your neighbourhood affecting the 2.4ghz on the Channel you are currently using.

It could be as simple as a neighbour having recently bought a new microwave oven.

Have you tried changing the Channel on the 2.4ghx range and seeing if that works? You might have something in your neighbourhood affecting the 2.4ghz on the Channel you are currently using.

It could be as simple as a neighbour having recently bought a new microwave oven.

Thanks MT.

Yes i'd done all of that kerfuffle.

I've just switched off and on again for the 3rd time after walking the dog and all is well again.

Small voltage spike maybe?

Rest easy HPC, all is well.

Edit. Have been using inssider for a while its excellent. Thanks again.

Perhaps the chip is over-heating and shutting down. Perhaps when you went out for a walk the FBI guys monitoring you went for a wee break?

Exactly what i thought! ^_^

Hullo

It simply ceased to be.

Thanks y'alls.

If all that isn't working how are you writing this then ?

When it's working correctly, is the Bright Box 2 any good? I've been thinking about trying to get one out of EE.

I'm happy enough with it. Box is on ground floor under the stairs and I get 4 bars on 3Rd floor on 2.4ghz. This one has been in situ for 2 years and been pretty solid. Software is easy to configure. I change the wireless channel from time to time.

I bought mine new,boxed on Gumtree for 15 quid. I'm an Orange legacy BB type, and it's ticking over very nicely. Apart from today..

When it's working correctly, is the Bright Box 2 any good? I've been thinking about trying to get one out of EE.

Total garbage like all the supplied ISP "Routers". Had the honour of having to pay £95 for one of these when I signed up for EE, (cashback redemption deal pretty much wiped out). Doesn't do port forwarding to my FTP Server, GUI useless, WiFi flaky. Bought a cheap Asus replacement for about £15, not amazing but definitely better than that garbage. When I was with o2, (great Company before they became Sky, hence why I left) had 2 rubbish Thomson Routers from them...ended up using my original Netgear DG834L router that I got from Virgin, (another rubbish company, great when everything works, rubbish when it's broken) 9 years ago as it was way more stable than either of the Thomson efforts.

I've yet to encounter an ISP-provided Router that's any good...

Total garbage like all the supplied ISP "Routers". Had the honour of having to pay £95 for one of these when I signed up for EE, (cashback redemption deal pretty much wiped out). Doesn't do port forwarding to my FTP Server, GUI useless, WiFi flaky. Bought a cheap Asus replacement for about £15, not amazing but definitely better than that garbage. When I was with o2, (great Company before they became Sky, hence why I left) had 2 rubbish Thomson Routers from them...ended up using my original Netgear DG834L router that I got from Virgin, (another rubbish company, great when everything works, rubbish when it's broken) 9 years ago as it was way more stable than either of the Thomson efforts.

I've yet to encounter an ISP-provided Router that's any good...

Reliable port forwarding is important to me as I have a couple of IP cameras that I check daily when we are away via DynDns..

We have intermittent noise on the line. The original router that EE supplied was no better than my old Netgear, so I used that until it packed up a couple of years ago and replaced it with an Asus DSL-N66U, which is okay but I'd like an AC router to match the AC cards in my devices.

Had an Asus DSL-N55U for a while from Amazon. After a recommendation on here. :) Sent it back after 9 months as faulty in the end.

The Bright Box 2 has given me way less grief to be honest. No issues with the GUI here, certainly no worse than the ASUS.

However, I'm not asking too much of the BB2 compared to others it would seem.

I've got my old Netgear as a WIFI extender, and the whole house is pretty much covered.

I have a brand new EE BB2 you can have if you want. You'll have to pay postage. PM me if interested. Was going to sell it on eBay but they don't go for much. I use annokd Lynksis Router/Modem and a router with DD-WRT on it.

I have a brand new EE BB2 you can have if you want. You'll have to pay postage. PM me if interested. Was going to sell it on eBay but they don't go for much. I use annokd Lynksis Router/Modem and a router with DD-WRT on it.

Thats jolly D of you LTR, however apart from the above mentioned brain fart, its ticking along ok again now.

Many thanks though.

I think you need to double check which way the bit is spinning.

Also, maybe try adjusting the rpms. Sharper bits are better, so the more you spend on bits the more likely you are to get a good result long term. Some of the old routers are the best.

Make sure you have a solid table, and good support.