House Price Crash Forum
Sandwiches33

Pfi Corruption As Schools Built To Dangerous Standards

I'm sure it was all above board and if there was any wrongdoing it was by someone now dead or suffering from dementia.

You'd imagine that news like this would set off the general public but no-one seems to give a crap, so this sort of corruption will continue and intensify.

I'm sure it was all above board and if there was any wrongdoing it was by someone now dead or suffering from dementia.

You'd imagine that news like this would set off the general public but no-one seems to give a crap, so this sort of corruption will continue and intensify.

Yup nobody cares

plus how much other stuff did the same builders build? houses? hospitals? This country is accelerating towards a fail

It ain't just PFI schools...

"The Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority (GMWDA) has raised concerns about the price of its £3.8bn (PFI ) deal with Viridor Laing amid frustration over the progress of repair works."

https://www.mrw.co.uk/latest/manchester-concern-at-price-of-pfi-contract/10017271.article?blocktitle=Most-popular&contentID=-1

Mods: As it's a big. often mentioned HPC issue, coming to haunt the UK finances / hidden gdp.

May I suggest a merged PFI thread ? 

A report to a meeting of the GMWDA on 10 February reveals it has raised concerns with Viridor Laing over the progress being made on these works, including “significant rusting issues” in the mechanical and biological treatment plant tanks and the in-vessel composting facilities.

It adds: “It is also now becoming clear that with reduced volumes of waste (compared with the expected levels of waste arising when facilities were proposed in 2006-07) that the GM contract is expensive compared with current market rates.

“Options to reduce costs going forward have thus been developed in the past year. These savings options are progressing, but are not yet finalised and hence are commercially sensitive.”

The GMWDA meeting also considered a 12-month delay to the merger with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA).

England’s largest waste authority was due to transfer its powers and functions to GMCA in April but this has now been put back until April 2018.

The reason given is “issues remaining to be resolved with the Government about the powers needed to allow its orderly and appropriate transfer of functions”.

Orders regarding transfer of powers have to be passed at Westminster.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

On 15/04/2016 at 3:45 PM, Sandwiches33 said:

Yup nobody cares

plus how much other stuff did the same builders build? houses? hospitals? This country is accelerating towards a fail

I'm not convinced it is that no one cares. It's more to do with lack of power.  I'm pretty pissed off about it but what can I, as an individual do?  

Even when we are offered a referendum, tptb don't seem to like the outcome and so drag their heels and hope it will go away. The chilcot enquiry? What happened to That?

short of sharpening the pitchforks I'm not really sure there is anything that can be done by the plebs

The epitomy of new labour and gordon brown. Its like renting a house on an above the market rate 30 year contract, with rent linked to inflation, all maintainance must be carried out by the landlord's overpriced contractor at your expense. At the end of the thirty years the shoddy building, now falling to pieces, is yours. All at the bargain price of five times what it would have cost you on a mortgage.

The Edinburgh school that collapsed could have killed 10's of children easily. 

Pretty much all building work these days just seems to be shoddy in the extreme. Poor standards abound.

Edited by Errol