House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghostly

What's Your Ideology / Political Belief, Etc?

I've seen some quite bizarre stuff (well I find it bizarre anyway) on the Internet in recent weeks about political beliefs, ideologies, gender politics, identity politics, 'cultural appropriation', etc and I was interested in what political (or similar) views HPCers have. I don't intend this to necessarily be an attack on certain views but am interested in hearing different opinions.

As a teenager I was a 'liberal' (even read The Guardian!!), voted Lib Dem in some of the first elections I could vote in, wanted to think of ways to help people, liked the idea of the EU, etc. As time has gone by I've become more 'small c' conservative as I disagree with a hell of a lot of SJW claptrap you see around these days. In some ways I could describe myself as 'classical liberal' too as I believe in people having the same opportunities where possible and I also believe that people should be allowed to live their lives as they wish provided they do not rob others of their ability to live as they wish. I now also believe in small government and less state interference.

The stuff I've seen online recently which has made me post this are comments where people post stuff like 'Kill all white men' in all seriousness while saying 'black lives matter' in the next breath. As if they believe the world would then be all rainbows and unicorns sh*tting Skittles if white men didn't exist instead of the much more likely collapse of the tax base and then society itself. Then I have to remind myself that this is just the Internet and these people are probably keyboard warriors with no ability to change anything. Unfortunately, some of my (now former) friends have been infected with 'full retard' SJW disease despite one being a straight, white male himself and the other also being a straight (I think) male too. I am now actively avoiding contact with these people.

I saw a good YouTube video the other day which discusses an article an SJW posted which describes how some SJW beliefs are dogmatic with little to no rational basis. It's a long video but fairly interesting. You can just listen to the audio as not much happens on screen:

This one is also interesting although it may raise the blood pressure:

I add this image for the laughs:

FQlT6Ds.png

Anyway, end rant, I'm sure I've missed lot of stuff I meant to say. As in the first sentence I'm interested in hearing about other HPCer's political views, whether I'm too entrenched in my 'white male privilege' to understand the 'suffering' others endure due to the 'oppression' I cause, etc.

Some of all the above....you can't put people into pigeon holes, most people are a bit of everything in differing degrees....views and options change like the political weather and leaders change.....all people change over time, we evolve......there is no right or wrong view or way of thinking, all various shades of dirty grey. ;)

Some of all the above....you can't put people into pigeon holes, most people are a bit of everything in differing degrees....views and options change like the political weather and leaders change.....all people change over time, we evolve......there is no right or wrong view or way of thinking, all various shades of dirty grey. ;)

Good point, I can't even pigeon hole my own views. I do see the pigeon holing as a problem with some of the lefty, social justice types though. White man = scum, therefore should die.

I'm a vile lefty.

I don't believe you :P

Let's not ****** each other over?

I thought that was your belief :D One I agree with.

Agree with your sentiment though, I'm not hoping to pick on posters with different beliefs/ideologies/philosophies. Keep it sporting as you say.

My political belief is that voting for an individual or political party is essentially conceding your own ability and responsibility to make your own life what you want it to be, and bestowing that power on someone else - which is a surefire route to disappointment. In that sesne I suppose I lean toward libertarian.

As I see it, no matter who is in government, I'm going to get taxed more than I want to pay, and my taxes are going to be spent in ways that I don't like, and we will get dragged into wars that I don't want to fight. So to me there is no point in voting for the least worst option - I'll just take responsibility for my own success and happiness, and whatever obstacles the *****y politicians throw in my path, I'll overcome without getting stressed about it or feeling let down.

Some of all the above....you can't put people into pigeon holes, most people are a bit of everything in differing degrees....

Well said, the main purpose of ideologies is to divide people into opposing groups, classic divide and conquer strategy by the 'elites'.

^^^ It's working pretty well I would say. More and more of this grouping seems to be going on at the moment. For example, LGBT groups wanting to exclude gay white men because they are not oppressed enough.

We are all individualists

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.

The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!

Man in crowd: I'm not...

The Crowd: Shh...

^^^ It's working pretty well I would say. More and more of this grouping seems to be going on at the moment. For example, LGBT groups wanting to exclude gay white men because they are not oppressed enough.

Seems to be basic human nature that though, everything must be classified and pigeonholed and explained. See it at all sorts of different levels. The concept often isn't entirely without merit, particularly as an approximation for looking at large-scale effects, but when it gets applied to individuals as more than a rather crude approximation / starting point someone has probably screwed up. Even I think that sticking the entire human race in a pigeonhole labelled "idiot" is a bit too approximate.

Well "Other" it would have to be.

Sometimes we need radical change, sometimes gradual change, other times steady as she goes.

Reading the Guardian is a terrifying insight into people with fixed views, who having achieved a decent level of equality all round can't now stop but have to crusade on and on for further and further equality, I forget how many self-identified sexes I read about last year but it was over twenty. If it carries on like this the innumerable sets of toilets required will take over the world.