House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solitaire

Uganda’S Sole Radiotherapy Machine Breaks Down

I'm afraid the world is totally bent, and charities are a shame :blink:

This makes me feel really sad and surely something we could gift to the Ugandans from our mega foreign aid budget.

http://www.africanews.com/2016/04/08/uganda-s-sole-radiotherapy-machine-breaks-down-cancer-patients-at-risk/

Why the f*** should we have to pay for it?

Uganda currently maintains a fleet of over 200 T-90 and T-72 MBT's. Maybe they should sell a few of those instead of asking British grannies to subsidise their f***ing health service!

They seem to have plenty of money to lock up gay people and threaten them with the death penalty.

Exactly.

If they want to be a colony again we can buy them a nice new shiny machine. Until then they can bog off!

I am sure a way can be found for the British taxpayer to fund one, as long as enough funds to grease palms in Uganda, plus a cut of that as a backhander to some UK official can be found.

The Ugandan government can easily afford one but chooses to prioritise the army and extravagant lifestyles of politicians over the health and well-being of its people.

Edit: a quick Google shows that Uganda received $1.7bn in foreign aid in 2013. I think that might just be sufficient to purchase a spare radiotherapy machine.

Why the f*** should we have to pay for it?

Uganda currently maintains a fleet of over 200 T-90 and T-72 MBT's. Maybe they should sell a few of those instead of asking British grannies to subsidise their f***ing health service!

This.

I watched the telly news last night. Now that's a newsworthy event!

There was a report on Ehtiopia. This is where the modern aid industry started. Famine on the horizon again. Starving kids (kid on the telly was a long way from starving,). etc etc

Then the actual killer statement - Of course, the population has grown massively since 1985.

Stupid is as stupid does.

This.

I watched the telly news last night. Now that's a newsworthy event!

There was a report on Ehtiopia. This is where the modern aid industry started. Famine on the horizon again. Starving kids (kid on the telly was a long way from starving,). etc etc

Then the actual killer statement - Of course, the population has grown massively since 1985.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Is there any actual correlation between aid received and actual progress. Or are we just throwing money at problems so luvvie types can feel good (well, feel good and recieve six figure salaries while doing so, cough, David Miliband) Given the wildly divergent paths of countries that were economically similar and poverty stricken 50 years ago, when foreign aid got going, I'd have to wonder.

Id guess Botswana and Zimbabwe, being next door, recieved similar foreign aid in the past. Botswana has a near first world PPP GDP per capita ($16,000) and Zimbabwe is one of the poorest nations in the world ($600 PPP per capita)

http://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/compare/botswana.zimbabwe/economy

In 1960, Bostwana was three times poorer than Zimbabwe/Rhodesia btw.

Stefan molyneux summed Foreign aid up nicely IMO.

"Foreign aid is taking money from poor people in rich countries and giving it to rich people in poor countries"

The Ugandan government can easily afford one but chooses to prioritise the army and extravagant lifestyles of politicians over the health and well-being of its people.

Edit: a quick Google shows that Uganda received $1.7bn in foreign aid in 2013. I think that might just be sufficient to purchase a spare radiotherapy machine.

How much of that £1.7 billion ends up.in the bank accounts of BAe Systems and similar?

And how much cash (billions probably) did Idi Amin take to Saudi (Panama / Switzerland etc) with him? And where is that cash now?

That too. My point is that once the money has been sent to some of these countries it's very difficult to keep track of it; the Western powers condone this providing their military industrial complexes get their slice of pie.

Who actually had access to it when it was running? Do Uganda have a free national health service?

Presumably the same people who could afford the treatment there can afford to fly to get it in a neighbouring country.. I doubt the poor ever had access to it in the first place any way!

Is there any actual correlation between aid received and actual progress. Or are we just throwing money at problems so luvvie types can feel good (well, feel good and recieve six figure salaries while doing so, cough, David Miliband) Given the wildly divergent paths of countries that were economically similar and poverty stricken 50 years ago, when foreign aid got going, I'd have to wonder.

Id guess Botswana and Zimbabwe, being next door, recieved similar foreign aid in the past. Botswana has a near first world PPP GDP per capita ($16,000) and Zimbabwe is one of the poorest nations in the world ($600 PPP per capita)

http://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/compare/botswana.zimbabwe/economy

In 1960, Bostwana was three times poorer than Zimbabwe/Rhodesia btw.

Stefan molyneux summed Foreign aid up nicely IMO.

"Foreign aid is taking money from poor people in rich countries and giving it to rich people in poor countries"

Foreign aid is giving money to politicians to live high on the hog for running a crap government.

When I was selling my Smiles for Africa as a small kid I assumed that Africa was some sort of desert.

I went their as an adult. Sure, some bits of it are desicated.

Other bits are so fcking lush and fertile it makes East Anglia look like a sand pit.

Aid has not helped Africa.

Look at the two comparision for post WW11 development - Asian countries like South Korea Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

And African ones.

Asian has its problems and development has not been consisten across countries but, bottom line, bar N Korea, people are not starving.

Africa - bar a couple of bright spots- Rwanda, despotic as it is, is a basket case.

Fcking waste of 50 years and billions.

The Muslim North has gone so far backwards and is nothing more than a cargo cult economy.

I once looked at raising VC for a cattle farming enterprise in Botswana (I've not been there).

From what I could see it is a model nation that puts almost all of the rest of Africa to shame.

I once looked at raising VC for a cattle farming enterprise in Botswana (I've not been there).

From what I could see it is a model nation that puts almost all of the rest of Africa to shame.

Diamond rich Botswana?

What nonsense, radiotherapy does far more harm than good, therefore Ugandan cancer patients should be relieved that doctors can't fry them with ionizing radiation anymore.

Ugandans would be much better off if they took this as an opportunity to look into alternative cancer therapies.