House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stormymonday_2011

Golf Is A Cruel Game

There is not often I feel sorry for top sportsman but watching 4 time major winner Ernie Els six putting from three feet at the first on the Masters with a TV audience of millions watching is one of them. It was like some form of refined mental torture that only golf can afflict. There are few other sports where the more you balls it up the more you have to repeat the failure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/35993021

Watching Els struggle with the Yips was so painful that some of the crowd and his fellow players had to turn away. Even harder given he had reached the green in 2 and got his first putt to about 3 foot away. Even the public scoreboard ended up traumatized and recorded his score incorrectly for most of the day. I suppose the one saving grace in the UK the experience was largely reserved for pay per view TV watchers

The greens at Augusta are like glass and the recent changes in golf rules has exposed the nervous twitches that afflict many older golfers as their finer muscle control goes. It is a tribute to Els legendary mental strength that he he actually held the round together and carded only 80 for the entire 18 holes. I think the experience would have destroyed some lesser players.

It is strange.

Golfers who card big scores hacking the ball into the rough, landing in a bunker or hitting their shot into water don't get much sympathy but nearly everyone feels for a player who hits the green in a regulation two shots and then can't hole a succession of short putts. It is as though the entire cruelty and injustice of human existence is crammed into that one experience.

In all other respects it is just a bunch of blokes hitting a ball around the countryside with a few sticks which has no importance whatsoever.

millions watching world wide...its a minority sport..that in reality, nobody watches...around 1 in 1000.

millions watching world wide...its a minority sport..that in reality, nobody watches...around 1 in 1000.

Golf may be in decline as participation sport and be a minority TV sport most of the time but the Major Golf Championships such as the Master, British Open, US PGA and US open are normally different. In particular the Masters is one of the most watched TV sporting events in the US

For example the 2011 Masters Final Round was watched by 3.6 million viewers in the UK alone

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/apr/11/masters-tv-ratings

The 2015 Masters drew 17.7 million viewers in the US for the final round

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/04/13/masters-tv-ratings.html

Add in viewers from Asia and I would say that it is highly likely that millions were watching when Els missed those putts

On the top of a small rise on the golf course, a player was about to tee off.

On a lower road a funeral hearse with cars following slowly made its way along..

The golfer paused at the top of his swing, laid his driver on the ground, stood to attention and removed his cap..

His companion, sighting the hearse, turned and said.."Your sign of respect, Dave?"

"It's the least I can do..", said the other. "She was a good wife to me..."

I remember Tiger Woods' first game back after the scandal. His face when people were shouting "in the hole" at him when he wasn't even taking a shot.

On the top of a small rise on the golf course, a player was about to tee off.

On a lower road a funeral hearse with cars following slowly made its way along..

The golfer paused at the top of his swing, laid his driver on the ground, stood to attention and removed his cap..

His companion, sighting the hearse, turned and said.."Your sign of respect, Dave?"

"It's the least I can do..", said the other. "She was a good wife to me..."

:lol:

The only positive thing golf has ever done is that photo of that female golfer in that short skirted black dress. I must go on a fellowship of the short black skirt to find it on the internet.

I love golf.

I hate golf.

Anyone who plays the game will know exactly what I mean.

I love golf.

I hate golf.

Anyone who plays the game will know exactly what I mean.

I will never die of thirst in a desert so long as I have a golf club and golf ball handy because I can guarantee to find water with them every time.

Anyone from here fancies a round at Dunbar let me know - I am biased but I truly think it's one of the best courses on the planet.

Anyone from here fancies a round at Dunbar let me know - I am biased but I truly think it's one of the best courses on the planet.

Fantastic looking course - and incredible value (relatively)

You are welcome anytime

I will even take you into the dippers after :)