House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dryrot

Info: Sunday 10Th April @ 11:00 5 Live Investigates > Cost Of Maintaining Ex-La Properties

Hi

FYI, mentioned on R5live today, Sundays 5 live Investigates will cover those unfortunates who bought Local Authority properties and now face "crippling repair bills". I'll be away but may catch it on podcast. I expect its those who R2B council flats and now the block needs repair... Cue floods of tears.

Hi

FYI, mentioned on R5live today, Sundays 5 live Investigates will cover those unfortunates who bought Local Authority properties and now face "crippling repair bills". I'll be away but may catch it on podcast. I expect its those who R2B council flats and now the block needs repair... Cue floods of tears.

Yep.

Block of flats where the LA is still responsible for maintaining.

You can guarantee that super efficient LAs (or HAs) team of builders and handy - who all have the same surname as the people in council - will turn up and do the jobs at 3 times the cost of a private builder.

Living in a mixed use council block you can get some hefty 'major works' bills. Thousands every year on top of your mortgage, it's very hard to appeal them too.

Living in a mixed use council block you can get some hefty 'major works' bills. Thousands every year on top of your mortgage, it's very hard to appeal them too.

Which is why you shouldn't buy flats. Or appartments or whatever nonsense names they make up for them.

I understand the regular service fees are typically very low especially compared than your typical newish build leasehold flats, but anything non routine is uncompetitive like anything the council does. On the whole it wouldn't surprise me if the differences balance out, because the privately maintained properties also need major works from time to time.

Yep.

Block of flats where the LA is still responsible for maintaining.

You can guarantee that super efficient LAs (or HAs) team of builders and handy - who all have the same surname as the people in council - will turn up and do the jobs at 3 times the cost of a private builder.

Yes, there was widespread corruption(and some jailtime resulted) in a scheme in Edinburgh whereby the council could forcibly appointed contractors to carry out necessary repairs to ageing tenement buildings in circumstances where all the flat owners could/would not agree to get the work done amongst themselves. The contractors appointed by the council often hugely inflated the cost of the work.

Dunno if any of this is going on here, or whether it's just people who have bought their houses without regard for repairs/maintenance, even if competitively priced.

Edited by The Knimbies who say No

John Charcoal!!!

Still peddling himself in the media as a property and mortgage expert. ?

Didn't he get sacked or sanctioned around the time of the Financial Crash in 2007?

The BBC still paying him to come on their shows?

That's like asking Jonathan King back to front TOTP or Blue Peter.

John Charcoal!!!

Still peddling himself in the media as a property and mortgage expert. ?

Didn't he get sacked or sanctioned around the time of the Financial Crash in 2007?

The BBC still paying him to come on their shows?

That's like asking Jonathan King back to front TOTP or Blue Peter.

Or asking David Cameron to sort out Tax Avoidance