House Price Crash Forum
EssKay

Land Registry Privatisation

It appears that the idea of privatising the land registry is still very much alive despite a consultation in 2014 where 91% of consultees were against it - original Guardian article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/30/tories-land-registry-sell-off-open-data-privatisation

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but you have to wonder why one of the few publicly owned organisations that actually turns a profit is being touted for privatisation.

Who does it benefit to obfuscate sold price data or make it more expensive to access?

I'm all for it in a way because I'm hoping a public spirited employee on minimum wage, or zero hours, will leak all the land ownership data, aka Panama.

What data is there left to leak...? It's all open source already isn't it?

I'd rather they prevented dodgy solicitors from withholding sales data. So many houses that sell , don't appear.

What data is there left to leak...? It's all open source already isn't it?

I'd rather they prevented dodgy solicitors from withholding sales data. So many houses that sell for a sensible price, don't appear.

Sensible price or not, they just don't appear. I used to assume the agents were lying about the sale, but now I'm not so sure. Something fishy going on a few properties round here. Time will tell.

Sensible price or not, they just don't appear. I used to assume the agents were lying about the sale, but now I'm not so sure. Something fishy going on a few properties round here. Time will tell.

I notice that too. I wonder if this is because a company bought it? There are a lot of people who buy old houses, renovate and sell. These are done usually through a limited company. I don't think these shows up in LR.