House Price Crash Forum

Just logged in to the government gateway to check how far I am from a full NI contributions record. Worth a check if you're not sure about your record.

Turns out I'm closer than expected. Just five years missing: two when I had no income, plus another three student years. The latter surprised me: I had no idea the record would try to go back before I started work. And all my years abroad are credited!

Most surprisingly, I have three years credited before the missing university years. Seems they credited me as a sixth-former and first-year student. Hmmm... not so long to go for those 35 years.

No credit for SERPS or the so-called state second pension. I thought those of us with a lot of contributions under the old rules were supposed to have our rights protected, but evidently I was wrong.

Pension age 67, which is just one of the penalties of being born the wrong side of April 1960 (among whose benefits would've been a full extra year of state pension).

Just logged in to the government gateway to check how far I am from a full NI contributions record. Worth a check if you're not sure about your record.

Turns out I'm closer than expected. Just five years missing: two when I had no income, plus another three student years. The latter surprised me: I had no idea the record would try to go back before I started work. And all my years abroad are credited!

Most surprisingly, I have three years credited before the missing university years. Seems they credited me as a sixth-former and first-year student. Hmmm... not so long to go for those 35 years.

No credit for SERPS or the so-called state second pension. I thought those of us with a lot of contributions under the old rules were supposed to have our rights protected, but evidently I was wrong.

Pension age 67, which is just one of the penalties of being born the wrong side of April 1960 (among whose benefits would've been a full extra year of state pension).

what's the link to do that? I need a laugh...

Is this just a "stealth boast".

I checked mine a few years ago, took weeks and got a bit of paper in the post that looked like it was from the 70s.

What is this boasting nonsense? Can't people say anything without being accused of boasting?

I had two completely missing years when I was in work, 2004 where HMRC had all the details and "have no idea" why the NI contributions didnt show, and 1998. I've been all Inspector Clouseau for the past couple of days finding what I can from 20 years ago, oh the joy of it.

HMRC is going to be mullered by everyone finding out their records are broken following the launch of this new site.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/checkmystatepension Knock yourself out.

Edited by phead

what's the link to do that? I need a laugh...

Normal self-assessment has changed to a new look and added the facility. Just log in to it and follow your nose once you've done the revised security theatre.

[edit to add] Just followed phead's link. Looks as if it's a route to the same service I used, though I didn't try to log in.

Edited by porca misèria

Didn't know you could check your NI account online - thanks for that tip!

Checked mine a year ago and was also surprised to see that I'd accrued five years for being at 6th form and then uni. In that context, 35 years does seem a short time to be paying into the system - wasn't it as low as 30 until a few years back?

Mrs Rave is from a land far far away. She worked a few years over here before our little one appeared on the scene, so I wanted to check that the Child Benefit was being applied to her NI account. It wasn't, which we corrected, but I also learned her record also includes some 'Pension Credit' which are topping up the amount she will receive. Any one have any idea what that's all about?

What is this boasting nonsense? Can't people say anything without being accused of boasting?

Whoosh!

I've been waiting 20 mins for my text to arrive.

This government gateway is a nonsense, i've already got an account for the job centre but that isn't right apparently

Checked mine a year ago and was also surprised to see that I'd accrued five years for being at 6th form and then uni.

That was part of my observation, except that my uni days show as a gap.

So, why the entries when we weren't working? Guess it must just be automatic based on birthday. And why do yours and my student days differ?

I have 6th form credited, but not uni. All in all pleasantly surprised a few days ago when I checked to learn that after having been in the work force 7 years (my feeling) I have 10 years contributions (enough to qualify for some of the new state pension, and enough time left over to qualify in full from scratch if I'd needed to).

Experian unable to verify my identity and i am certainly not installing any apps to verify my identity! - I'll write again.

Hmm, I've seen that signup procedure described, but I didn't have to go through it. Maybe we're in a transitional period when one's existing self-assessment login still works?

FWIW, Experian are rolling out technology that will (if they don't make a hash of it) much improve the experience of identifying yourself online, as well as security against spoofing. Dunno if any of that's reached what you encountered.

Hmm, I've seen that signup procedure described, but I didn't have to go through it. Maybe we're in a transitional period when one's existing self-assessment login still works?

FWIW, Experian are rolling out technology that will (if they don't make a hash of it) much improve the experience of identifying yourself online, as well as security against spoofing. Dunno if any of that's reached what you encountered.

Problem seemed to be question relating to how much I have recently paid to American Express. We received a refund when ATS tyres tried to rip off my wife so that may have been one discrepancy. More worryingly was a question verify a current account number which did not match any of my accounts. They were no help when I rang but at the moment I have enough on my plate with father in hospital (now for 4 months) and me looking after mother who has dementia.

It just took me through the SA login followed by a couple of questions about my passport.

Interesting. During uni I seem to have some partial years. Summer jobs perhaps - but a bit off if not having a job at all gives you a full year! I reckon many people's early records will be estimates and interpolations. Do they seriously have sound data going back decades and decades?

Still, I'm not grumbling. They reckon they'll pay me £117 a week based on current contributions and £155 if I carry on contributing. My current spreadsheets use a personal estimate of £0 for state pension.

The online forecast makes it very tempting to actually count it in my planning. Trouble is, I don't trust the buggers.

So, why the entries when we weren't working? Guess it must just be automatic based on birthday. And why do yours and my student days differ?

I did a couple of months work each summer and paid NI then.

Well thats annoying, the new gov ID i didn't take a note of. Session timed out and have to sign up on another site in order to be reminded of the id I just created. thanks :rolleyes:

I'll get another paper one sent out.

I did a couple of months work each summer and paid NI then.

My current spreadsheets use a personal estimate of £0 for state pension.

The online forecast makes it very tempting to actually count it in my planning. Trouble is, I don't trust the buggers.

I don't think you should take it into account ever....

I have 6th form credited, but not uni. All in all pleasantly surprised a few days ago when I checked to learn that after having been in the work force 7 years (my feeling) I have 10 years contributions (enough to qualify for some of the new state pension, and enough time left over to qualify in full from scratch if I'd needed to).

I'm the same. 6th form credited but not the time I was at university which is weird. Currently 5 years short.

We were unable to confirm your identity Other ways to get a statement

Contact the Future Pension Centre for questions about the State Pension or to ask for a statement.

Future Pension Centre helpline

Telephone: 0345 3000 168 (statements and enquiries)

Telephone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 3600

Textphone: 0345 3000 169

Textphone from outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 2051

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges

Use the online form to make an enquiry (you can’t request a statement).

Yet another crappy system. Well done. I've just spent 5 mins completing an experian page giving it two bank accounts, a credit card, ni, my mobile and my passport - passed that but gov.uk won't let me in.

32 years. 18 left to do another 3.

AAAAND its probably gone.

Do working tax credits help to contribute? I'm earning under 5k a year at the minute, so don't have to pay extra conts.

Do i still get a credit anyway?

It says 14/15 wasn't a full year so i'm guessing not.

Well I'm 1964 born, the OP is a bit optimistic about the 67 thing imo....somebody has got to pay for the pension tsar's retirement at 60. Moving goalposts will see it at 68 for me at least I reckon.

Meanwhile having started work at 15, I have 36 years contributions already as of today.

Edited by crashmonitor

if i get it for summer jobs and working during uni then i should be well on my way to 11.5 years and i'm 27. That should make a nice dent in the 85 years of work i will eventually need!