House Price Crash Forum
Goat

How Much For Cleaning?

Just moved out of a property and was rather shocked to be handed a cleaning bill for £400 for a 1 bed house, to put this in context the monthly rent was £600.

The property was cleaned to the best of my ability (the better part of a whole day), possibly the kitchen needed a bit more work but I really struggle to see how this amount of time can be justified.

What do people normally expect to pay?

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing that allows people to be ripped off with impunity. Do you have photos? Just incredible that these sort of invoices can be cooked up, no transparency regarding multiple quotes, any description of work done etc. Imagine presenting an opaque 'expenses' bill to an employer.

There might be a local trade wheeze on this sort of thing too. Round here, a regular window cleaning contract is as little as a fiver/month, but a 'one off' job maybe done by someone moving out is more like 30 quid.

Not exactly helpful, but hope you get some satisfaction.

Friend of mine had a similar thing. If it's a protected deposit challenge it. Get a quote and tell the dps you cleaned to a professional standard. Without photos, you'll not be able to win but £150 ish is the number you'd expect to pay for a clean.

Firstly, I would ask for a copy of the invoice from the cleaning company. If they present you with a 'dodgy' invoice then this is fraud, in which case you need to point out that fraud is a criminal matter and you will be calling in the police unless you get an immediate, full return of your deposit.

There is probably an arbitration service run by the organisation which protects your deposit. It is worth going to arbitration if they are being unreasonable. The only drawback is that it can take several months to get a decision.

Friend of mine had a similar thing. If it's a protected deposit challenge it. Get a quote and tell the dps you cleaned to a professional standard. Without photos, you'll not be able to win but £150 ish is the number you'd expect to pay for a clean.

Surely it's up to the landlord to prove that it's in a worse state than you moved in, not yours to prove you've cleaned it whatever on earth a professional standard means.

Edited by Riedquat