House Price Crash Forum

Wtf is this? This is an infantile joke.

A business can't charge a fee for its services??? Och go and eat more soft food.

Wtf is this? This is an infantile joke.

A business can't charge a fee for its services??? Och go and eat more soft food.

It's about tenant fees not landlord fees. The rentier can shop around based in fees with more ease than the renter.

Indeed, the letting agent is serving the landlord not the tenant. Hence, fees should be paid for by the landlord who as SE10 rightly points out, can shop around with far more ease than tenants can.

Signed.

If the tenant doesn't like the fee, go to an agent where s/he does.

The tenant shops around for a home that provides the best value for money.

The landlord shops around for an agent that provides them the best value for money.

A nice, simple, free market arrangement.

An agency charging both landlords and tenants is pure obfuscation.

Worth noting that the LL often doesn't know what the LA is charging.Potentially cutting them off from a sizeable proportion of tenants.It's not transparent(to the LL) and it's an abuse of a position of trust.

I've known contract fees varying from £125 to £400 per person here in the Midlands.People sometimes have little choice but to pay it for the right house in the right price in the right area.

For an online credit check and a photocopy of a contract,I think that even £125 is a bit steep.

I have walked form houses I would have rented because of the extortionate fees. Landlords need to know this too as I am a long term renter with no void in 20 years.

I also enjoy anything that causes as much trouble as possible for estate agents. If they said sign the petition to spank an estate agent I would do it.

An agency charging both landlords and tenants is pure obfuscation.

I'd say it's a biz decision. Let free mkt decide

Indeed, the letting agent is serving the landlord not the tenant. Hence, fees should be paid for by the landlord who as SE10 rightly points out, can shop around with far more ease than tenants can.

Signed.

What we really need is state provided housing where the good of society is managed by society for no profit.

The councils could have this, we could call the state provided houses...council housing.

What we really need is state provided housing where the good of society is managed by society for no profit.

The councils could have this, we could call the state provided houses...council housing.

What? Housing as a utility, whereby people can rely on secure accommodation and concentrate their efforts on contributing to the productive economy. You crazy commie b-stard!

Back in the 90s when I was renting in London, there were no letting agent fees, I'm guessing something has changed since then. Could it be that an entire generation have been priced out of homeownership and are now a captive market that are being milked?

Not sure where that leaves my view on banning letting agent fees. I think the fact that this now seems like it's a good idea to so many people is testament to how utterly screwed our housing situation has become.

They all charge the same amounts. Once again the market doesn't provide a choice or competition.

The rentier can pay £60 to photocopy an AST if he wants to and even more for credit referencing which everyone else except a letting agent, can get done for a few quid

The only real choice you have is to avoid Letting Agents like a plague and look on Gumtree

Edited by RentierParadisio

They all charge the same amounts. Once again the market doesn't provide a choice or competition.

They don't charge the same....some are just more ridiculous than other. Key is that the tenant has no choice in the matter.

To demonstrate how bad it is....our last fees amounted to a mere GBP 622 excluding deposit. Ridiculous to put it mildly. In particular as the letting-agent actually represented our previous landlord from which we rented several years without issues. So I sincerely doubt they did the reference-checks, etc...,

btw) I've signed. The sooner this gets banned the better as this system of fees has already cost me >GPB 3000 and for what?

Problem is, say as it used to be in Edinburgh, all the agents charged similar fees. Go with a private landlord is the best bet, but IMO agents shouldn`t be allowed to pluck numbers out of the air to charge for things like counting forks, sending letters to say rents going up, "cleaning" etc. etc. As someone said though the agents in Scotland just had to suck it up and continue without charging tenant fees.

I agree with this. Tenants should not be charged any fees. Just like employment agencies. The landlord should be the only person paying letting agent fees. They can negotiate the fees and shop around.

My rents up for renewal. For a new credit check and contract have to pay 300. For the initial contract I had to pay 650.

Section 21 was issued at the start of my tenancy too.

Fuk 'em.

When has that ever worked? You're a loony lefty!

That just leads to communism and then Stalin. Is that what you want?

What next, gulags?

Excuse me while I sell this ex-council house for a huge profit that taxpayers built and that I bought off the council for well below market rate. :D

Edited by Tapori

Only to get us out of this hole. Ideally we'd have learnt and have a functioning market with little need for council housing by the time we're out the other side. Say 25 years + however long it takes the current (and next) numpties to get the message.

My rents up for renewal. For a new credit check and contract have to pay 300. For the initial contract I had to pay 650.

Section 21 was issued at the start of my tenancy too.

Fuk 'em.

Check your rights...the law has changed on when an S21 can be issued at the start of a tenancy as long as you aren't in Wales. See for example http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/new-section-21-regulations-2015-landlords-england/ and links to the relevant government site.

Bottomline it could very well be that the s21 you got is invalid and you would hence go on a rolling one automatically.

btw) this is one of the first times I heard that also for a renewal they charge referencing fees....that is even more outrages than usual. I would get advice and stand your corner....

Edited by moesasji

As already said - the fact agents in Jockland have been unable to charge these [Although a few still try] and haven't collapsed - shows it really is just a licence to print money.

When you book a holiday home do you pay a charge or does the holiday home owner ?

When you book a hotel room through a third party do you pay a charge or does the hotel owner ?

Why is this the only accommodation business - that I can think of anyway - where the middle man charges both sides ?

The residents of England have a curious tendency to allow certain people to make out like bandits. Dunno why, it's not as if the groups involved are well regarded eg private car-clamping firms.

Lettings agents' activities should attract the appropriate rewards/scrutiny. ie low rewards and lots of scrutiny.