House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Let's All Laugh At The £1M Homes

INDIVIDUAL ARCHITECT DESIGN DETACHED

I've seen plenty of uggos like that

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53773454.html

Has lots of land, but one nasty looking house.

Apart from the price, I confess that I'd have quite liked to live in that. A good functional, 'working' house.

(I'd get rid of the TV in the kitchen and six acres would have been enough for me)

Edited by LiveinHope

This one's not quite £1M, but you get my jist

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52499566.html?premiumA=true

4 bedroom detached house for sale Lordswood Road, Birmingham

Offers in Region of £745,000

15170_101624003657_IMG_61_0000_max_135x1

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeez. I'm guessing that car is a plant! And what room is photo two? Looks like a lab ready to receive an autopsy .... please don't tell me that is a kitchen!

If that is an estate sale, they're the kind of property that should start to drop in price until they sell.

oddly reminiscent of the rental I am in today...those same doors, the see through stairs.. Mine doesnt look like a nursing home though.

Apart from the price, I confess that I'd have quite liked to live in that. A good functional, 'working' house.

(I'd get rid of the TV in the kitchen and six acres would have been enough for me)

The house is very ordinary. I'd be pissed off that its on 18 acres. But the neighbours are pretty close.

Can someone please explain what "architect designed" means? My understanding is you need an architect for every design, doesn't it just mean "carbuncle designed in the 1970s"?

Edited by spunko2010

Can someone please explain what "architect designed" means? My understanding is you need an architect for every design, doesn't it just mean "carbuncle designed in the 1970s"?

I guess it's meant to show that it was a one-off design rather than one used for multiple houses. I don't think you need a qualified architect to design a house, but I think you do theoretically need a qualified structural engineer to sign it off as safe once constructed. Anyone know what the rules are, I'd be interested to know?

What would most people want.......a £million pound house and a job that will pay for it, or a £300k house and £700k to spend living enjoying it? ;)

I guess it's meant to show that it was a one-off design rather than one used for multiple houses. I don't think you need a qualified architect to design a house, but I think you do theoretically need a qualified structural engineer to sign it off as safe once constructed. Anyone know what the rules are, I'd be interested to know?

You don't need an architect, in fact, the vast majority of houses are not designed by architects but by "designers' within large housebuilding companies. That's why the houses all look so horrendous in this country. The exception is where sites are complex such as city centre where an architects skill is needed, not only for the design but also in negotiating with planners etc. And obviously if you want something special, you're gonna need an architect. So architect-designed is meant to denote skill and care in the design.

As for sign off, It is the building inspector (usually at the local council but not always) who "signs off". Details and build ups need approved but, because house builders use the same exact detail every time they don't need to get an architect to redraw it each time. It's already "approved". With many bog standard construction methods the whole system is usually designed to meet the regs so no need to get an architect. Same with structure - engineer usually required but not for every structural element because the construction system will already be tested (manufacturers will have in house engineers).

The house is very ordinary. I'd be pissed off that its on 18 acres. But the neighbours are pretty close.

Ordinary (simple) is good for me. I'm outside more than inside. I just want a house for food preparation and sleeping.

I think that bungalow is perfect for someone whose interests are outside. For them it's horses and they've put in good facilities. I doubt the people who live there are that interested in what a house looks like as long as it 'works' - I'll bet the stables are des res though.

This one's not quite £1M, but you get my jist

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52499566.html?premiumA=true

4 bedroom detached house for sale Lordswood Road, Birmingham

Offers in Region of £745,000

15170_101624003657_IMG_61_0000_max_135x1

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good grief! :blink: Was that some former office block or garage turned into a house during the 70s? :lol:

Unless it's opposite some 'Playboy Mansion' I cannot see where the value is. :wub:

That place in London is hideous, the lunatics have taken over theasylum

Dear oh dear, imagine the price done up, 2 million? 6500 pm with 125,000 down.

Insanity reigns!