House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stuckin2up2down

St Ives: We’Re Facing The Financial Cleansing Of The Town’S People

I expect the Conservatives would be quite pleased to have the poor priced out of SW England, would make it easier for them to hang onto it as an electoral stronghold.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/03/st-ives-second-home-referendum-financial-cleansing

I'm surprised there is anyone local still living in the area. I havent been there since 2002, and back then every house seemed to be a holiday let.

What do the young (under 40s) people in cornwall do? Live at home forever?

Rinse and repeat for many areas of Cornwall Looe, Mevagissey, Fowey etc. etc.

The working class have been financially confined to inner land ghettos of Bodmin, St.Austell, Par, ROCHE, Redruth, Camelford etc.

Back when I was a lad (pre 2000's) the kids I went to school with lived pretty evenly amongst the villages and towns. Over the years there parents sold up in the vilages to holiday makers leaving the nicer villages as holiday ghost towns.

I still have a couple of friends who have stayed in Cornwall, the rest of them left for places like Plymouth and Bristol. They work bloody hard are underpaid for their positions and have had to pay a fortune to live in a fairly shitty new estate.

The above and the general overcrowding in those areas is the reason I no longer enjoy visiting Cornwall on a regular basis. It's overcrowded in the Cornish ghetto's and the nice villages as basically closed off season.

I expect the Conservatives would be quite pleased to have the poor priced out of SW England, would make it easier for them to hang onto it as an electoral stronghold.

Well not all boomers are selfish and entitled and like their children being priced out.

I still have a couple of friends who have stayed in Cornwall, the rest of them left for places like Plymouth and Bristol. They work bloody hard are underpaid for their positions and have had to pay a fortune to live in a fairly shitty new estate.

The above and the general overcrowding in those areas is the reason I no longer enjoy visiting Cornwall on a regular basis. It's overcrowded in the Cornish ghetto's and the nice villages as basically closed off season.

Surely each year a large chunk of them must just give up? Their quality of life is probably the lowest in the country and unlike london theres not millions of things happening each month that make up for the low disposable income.

The referendum they are holding in St. Ives about whether non owner occupiers should be allowed to own new builds was all over BBC Breakfast News this morning.