House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Chocolate, Confectionary - Totally Disgusting!

So the kids have received a number of Easter Eggs.

But unlike when I was a kid and would have happily waded through of them in a day, these eggs have been hanging around the house, and kids have barely touched them.

I tried some samples, and basically they are not what I'd call chocolate. The offending products include Cadbury's (which I know I hate) , but even M&S expensive looking chocolate eggs/rabbits.

Whilst these companies might think it makes sense to cut the cost of the product by reducing quality, don't they have an issue when even kids won't eat the stuff.

Time to raise the minimum threshold on what can be called chocolate to at least 50%.

Might also have something to do with availability. Obviously, I don't know your children's situation but chocolate was rarely eaten in our house when I was a kid. I might have a Highland toffee bar once a week, and that would be it sweets wise. Chocolate was pretty much only eaten at Easter - and then it was a single Easter egg.

From my nieces and nephews, chocolate and sweets in general seems much more ubiquitous - and they each end up with half a dozen easter eggs at least.

Yes, I recall the dire "cooking chocolate" of my childhood (you certainly only pinched that once!) which said chocolate and looked like chocolate but certainly didn't taste like chocolate. That now seems to have taken over in bulk chocolate products like Easter eggs.

It seems similar to the brewing industry of the 70s with once great breweries being taken over by big conglomerates and their products seriously worsened.

CAMRA encouraged the rise of microbreweries and they have been so successful that pretty much any pub (bar obviously those that advertise Sky Sports) has quality real ales available.

Maybe there already is a Campaign for Real Chocolate. There is a clear gap in the market for a decent big chocolate maker as Cadbury's once was; it's probably a matter of time before the artisan makers begin to expand to take this.

Vegetable fat replacing cocoa in chocolate, with the claim that it's the taste the British prefer. British chocolate soon to taste like American chocolate (aka sweetened wax).

This is just another case of disguised inflation.

Best dismissive description by a mate of mine of most of the 'chocolate' on sale in the UK is brown lard. Sounds about right for the inedible junk.

But unlike when I was a kid and would have happily waded through of them in a day, these eggs have been hanging around the house, and kids have barely touched them.

I tried some samples, and basically they are not what I'd call chocolate. The offending products include Cadbury's (which I know I hate) , but even M&S expensive looking chocolate eggs/rabbits.

Whilst these companies might think it makes sense to cut the cost of the product by reducing quality, don't they have an issue when even kids won't eat the stuff.

Time to raise the minimum threshold on what can be called chocolate to at least 50%.

#triggered

#retreatstosafespace

Europol's global food fraud crackdown

From olives painted with blue copper sulphate to monkey meat and sugar laced with fertiliser, Europol and Interpol have seized 10,000 tonnes of fake food in their biggest global operation to date.

Fake chocolate, sweets and soft drinks aimed at children were discovered by police authorities in Hungary, Italy, Lithuania and Romania. A spokesperson for Europol said it was against policy to reveal the names of the counterfeited brands but confirmed the products bore trademarks without permission of the right holders.

Yes, most kids chocolate has become vile over the past 10 years or so. I had a chocolate coin when we were giving them out at Halloween, it was absolutely disgusting. Galaxy still tastes OK.

You should be pleased your kids have a somewhat refined palette

Same. Had some of the kids easter egg - a cadbury's one they got in a raffle from school. Absolutely vile.

Second vote for Aldi/Lidl swiss/high cocoa chocolate, tastes like 'real chocolate' and a fraction of the price other supermarkets charge.

The last few I've had has left me thinking "I used to enjoy these?!" In a way I hope that it has changed for the worse, I'd hate to think I'd actually enjoyed this stuff when I was a kid. I like the Campaign for Real Chocolate idea.

Cadbury has 20% cocoa, in the USA to be called chocolate only 10% cocoa is required!!

Though I must admit, I don't like the bars with 50%, 60%, 70% cocoa. Too bitter and not sweet enough.

The classic Swiss milk chocolate is 30% and ideal for me.

Anyone noticed how "dairy milk" bars have suddenly tried to become a popular mix of "oreos"

or some other hybrid of popular biscuits mixed in?

It's to save on chocolate by filling the bulk of the bar with a fondant.

Vile.

Yes, most kids chocolate has become vile over the past 10 years or so. I had a chocolate coin when we were giving them out at Halloween, it was absolutely disgusting. Galaxy still tastes OK.

Yes, agree....some chocolate is absolutely disgusting....should not be permitted to call it chocolate....greasy, slimy mild coca flavour that smells, tastes, feels and is wrong......some people will buy, and put up with any inferior and/or substituted rubbish that is offered to them......once bitten always remembered, in future steer well clear...... ;)

Cadbury has 20% cocoa, in the USA to be called chocolate only 10% cocoa is required!!

Though I must admit, I don't like the bars with 50%, 60%, 70% cocoa. Too bitter and not sweet enough.

The classic Swiss milk chocolate is 30% and ideal for me.

Try Lindt 90%, just a little sweetness with an intensely chocolatey flavour. A couple of squares is usually enough to satisfy.

Edit: BTW I like milk chocolate but would eat it by the lb given half a chance. The dark stuff is tasty without the narcotic effects.

Try chocolate from: Pralus, Fortnum & Mason etc etc. Well worth paying more for.

Or for those on a budget, why not try the chocolate mis-shapes from Home Bargains..? Well worth paying much, much less for...

XYY