House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
999house

Caving In. Viewing Potential Houses

Prices are insane, but as Im a first time buyer, I figure if prices fall I'll gt a much bigger house for cheaper. Its only bad if you buy at the top end, it crashes and then you want to downsize.

Since I'm first time buyer, its 99pc chance I will need something bigger than a 1 bed flat in future.

1 bed 300k, lose 25% =75k loss sell 225

3 bed 500k lose 25% = 125k gain buy 375

gain 50k

So even if the market is to crash, as long as you are young enough to need a much bigger upgrade. your fine.

Edited by 999house

What if the £75k loss in your first purchase wipes out your deposit and leaves you in negative equity?

Prices are insane, but as Im a first time buyer, I figure if prices fall I'll gt a much bigger house for cheaper. Its only bad if you buy at the top end, it crashes and then you want to downsize.

Since I'm first time buyer, its 99pc chance I will need something bigger than a 1 bed flat in future.

1 bed 300k, lose 25% =75k loss sell 225

3 bed 500k lose 25% = 125k gain buy 375

gain 50k

So even if the market is to crash, as long as you are young enough to need a much bigger upgrade. your fine.

I think his point is he buys a £300k property now, and at some (distant) point in time he upgrades to a 3 bed property. If prices stay up he pays £200k to upgrade. If prices drop 25% he only pays £150k for upgrade. So in theory buying at a peak with a view to upgrading doesn't matter if it crashes or not. In fact, you want it to crash.

The main issue is your equity gets hit first, so no one may be willing to lend you an extra £150k whereas without the crash you may be lent £200k

To the OP.

In a world where people buy houses simply to live in, I think your logic has got some legs. However, properties now are investment vehicles, pension pots and the government are now propping up the new build market by 40%!

It's a whole new ball game now and has been since since around the mid noughties.

Edited by bomberbrown

Buy now,next year your flat will be 400k and your mortgage will be less than you're paying today! You have the banksters on your side, what could possibly go wrong!

I think his point is he buys a £300k property now, and at some (distant) point in time he upgrades to a 3 bed property. If prices stay up he pays £200k to upgrade. If prices drop 25% he only pays £150k for upgrade. So in theory buying at a peak with a view to upgrading doesn't matter if it crashes or not. In fact, you want it to crash.

The main issue is your equity gets hit first, so no one may be willing to lend you an extra £150k whereas without the crash you may be lent £200k

Negative equity is a good point.

But the theory of it is no different to a finance hedge