House Price Crash Forum

Bigger House But No Life... An English Obsession?

Picked my young son up from childminder yesterday, who we know well through nursery school etc etc.

The childminder only does the odd hour here and there for friends, so income is virtually zero from that. She also works two 4-8am shifts a week at supermarket. The husband is a letting agent for a chain.

Their house is a 3 bed link detached with conservatory, garage converted to study/playroom. So plenty of space. No signs of money spent on anything extravegent (apart from a new fish tank and a PS4!)

Overall though none of this would matter... All the signs are of a family living within their moderate means. Not extravegent, spend on the essentials. Kids happy and very well looked after.

But...

They're trying to move to a bigger house... Have accepted an offer on their place, made an offer on somewhere else.

Why? Seriously why? What do they want out of a bigger place? Status?

Their house, whilst cluttered, is not bursting at the seams with stuff (no signs of any hobbies or collections...). I know the hubby has always regretted not buying a larger house and not taking on the largest mortgage they could afford.

Sheesh.

Sorry for the ramble.

Edited by Guest

More like "Keeping up with the Jones"

Everyone round here drives a newish Audi A5 or A6 or A7 these days.

It's either inherited or they are shopping in Lidl in disguise and paying £300-£400 to lease it.

tumblr_inline_n6x8abjK2i1sqjw4b.jpg

---

Everyone's a poser.

Edited by 200p

Well i've got a small house, I hate people though so want something with a bigger plot and further away from people.

Could they just want something proper detached?

Possibly... I'm just surprised they're happy to take on extra debt given their current situation.

Are they moving to a cheaper area?

That's what I'm going to have to do.

Others might say they are very fortunate that they can move to a cheaper area.....different people want different things.....some people are posers.;)

The need to appear to be "successful" & "doing well" tends to overtake logic & common sense in most people these days - which for me is the key driver for HPI.

Death...people buy cars or move up with the inheritance..Its the LAW

In all fairness, your perception is that they have everything they need based on your world view. Their perception is that they need more, based on theirs. As long as they can afford it and aren't going to bitch and whine that anybody but them is responsible if it all goes pear shaped, then let them get on with it.

Sadly most people will take the bitch and whine route, but you never know.

Others might say they are very fortunate that they can move to a cheaper area.....different people want different things.....some people are posers. ;)

You can almost always move to a cheaper area, although might be grim.

I'm probably just taking this a bit personally, people keep asking why I'm moving - i'm detached, got a spare room, loft that could make 2 more rooms, garden 5 times the size of estate homes. But I just want a bigger plot away from any noisy neighbours.

I'm probably just taking this a bit personally, people keep asking why I'm moving - i'm detached, got a spare room, loft that could make 2 more rooms, garden 5 times the size of estate homes. But I just want a bigger plot away from any noisy neighbours.

Not all cheaper areas are grim......some expensive areas are very grim.

What is stopping you?......for most people it is either the job or the family or both.

What is stopping you?......for most people it is either the job or the family or both.

Oh I'm selling to rent soon, just waiting for it to warm up a bit. Then going to spend a week sorting out the house and garden and selling it.

I'm a bit apprehensive as my place isn't perfect, but I own it outright and it gives me stability. I'm now going to sell that and replace it with cash in the bank, they could trash the pound more and I end up with no home and my cash being stolen :mellow:

Just rent it out.

Guest eight

Death...people buy cars or move up with the inheritance..Its the LAW

We inherited the car.

More like "Keeping up with the Jones"

Everyone round here drives a newish Audi A5 or A6 or A7 these days.

It's either inherited or they are shopping in Lidl in disguise and paying £300-£400 to lease it.

tumblr_inline_n6x8abjK2i1sqjw4b.jpg

---

Everyone's a poser.

Cars are no indicator of wealth at all. A very flash merc on your drive just says "I can pay £1000 a month". If you can scrape together £1700 a month, you can have a Bentley...

Oh I'm selling to rent soon, just waiting for it to warm up a bit. Then going to spend a week sorting out the house and garden and selling it.

I'm a bit apprehensive as my place isn't perfect, but I own it outright and it gives me stability. I'm now going to sell that and replace it with cash in the bank, they could trash the pound more and I end up with no home and my cash being stolen :mellow:

So why take the risk? I'm sorry, but this just sounds like speculation to me. Almost as bad as the BTL brigade

try to ignore others' signals of wealth and flashiness.

If you are secure in yourself, you should be able to be comfortable with your decision to be financially prudent, and should not care about missing out on the approval or jealousy of those who take bigger risks or value things differently from you.

Too much judging and looking down on others is not healthy.

This country is still too class and status driven

So why take the risk? I'm sorry, but this just sounds like speculation to me. Almost as bad as the BTL brigade

It is a world apart from BTL! :blink:

Selling an asset / commodity at a top is just sensible. Plenty have STR.

You overlook that the main by far problem with BTL is it is really borrow to let.

It is a world apart from BTL! :blink:

Selling an asset / commodity at a top is just sensible. Plenty have STR.

You overlook that the main by far problem with BTL is it is really borrow to let.

It's not just an asset though is it? It's your home which you are fortunate to be in a position to own outright.

Isn't the view of houses as speculative assets (debt fuelled or otherwise) the main problem people have with BTL?

In your position I would sit tight - but if you know the potential consequences and are prepared to take the risk - go for it.

Possibly... I'm just surprised they're happy to take on extra debt given their current situation.

Sadly, my experience is that most people will load up the gunwales with debt - as much as the bank will lend them. That is why is it is so criminal the banks were bailed out of their reckless lending decisions and appear to have learnt nothing.

Edited by dpg50000

It's not just an asset though is it? It's your home which you are fortunate to be in a position to own outright.

Isn't the view of houses as speculative assets (debt fuelled or otherwise) the main problem people have with BTL?

In your position I would sit tight - but if you know the potential consequences and are prepared to take the risk - go for it.

Wells its both. Its also what all my savings have gone into.

The issue with BTL is people borrowing money to speculate and hoovering up lots of properties. I bought a home for cash, realised I didn't like it and now am hoping to sell and move.

I want to move anyway, if I liked my house and wanted to live here for ever I wouldn't sell. But as I said I don't like it and want to move.

I'll probably only rent for a few months, and spunk my money on an auction property as its not worth the gamble for me.

A cheap area at my latitude is N Lincs and if you ignore Grimsby it aint that grim. The Wolds....no jobs, no traffic, no immigration, unspoilt countryside and the cheapest housing in England with manor houses and a bit of shooting going for about 400k ( a bit big for me though)...what's not to like if you don't need a job.