House Price Crash Forum
CunningPlan

Overlooked Consequences Of Stupid House Prices

My wife thinks that I can and invariably will argue that every single ill in this country can be explained by excessive house prices.

However, she surprised even me yesterday. Her favourite greyhound rescue charity is suffering badly.

From chatting with them, it appears that so many of their potential fosterers / adopters are renters and are not allowed dogs that they are finding it significantly harder than it was even 5 years ago to house the unfortunate mutts.

This cancer has it's tentacles in every aspect of society. (OK mixed metaphor but you get my drift)

I was thinking about this earlier.

The one thing above house prices on the crazy tree? Excess credit.

All businesses charge more because people have spending power that they wouldn't otherwise have without the ability to borrow (on revolving credit or fixed term loans) for anything and everything.

Hence, everything that requires money (AKA everything) is impacted.

Houses were subject to excess lending and then rules allowing speculation on top.

The details of the knock-on effects of excess credit need a book to explain, not a forum.

From chatting with them, it appears that so many of their potential fosterers / adopters are renters and are not allowed dogs that they are finding it significantly harder than it was even 5 years ago to house the unfortunate mutts.

Also, mug punters switching from gambling on dogs to gambling on houses reduced demand for dogs.

Whoever gambled on my dog was a total mug. Having searched her history, last was actually a good result.

Also, mug punters switching from gambling on dogs to gambling on houses reduced demand for dogs.

In all seriousness, being banned from having pets by your landlord (hate that word - there's no way something that grandiose should apply to someone renting out a 1-bed flat) is a major restriction on freedom when you're renting. A friend has a lovely little dog, no trouble, very well behaved and he really struggles to find places to rent.

In all seriousness, being banned from having pets by your landlord (hate that word - there's no way something that grandiose should apply to someone renting out a 1-bed flat) is a major restriction on freedom when you're renting. A friend has a lovely little dog, no trouble, very well behaved and he really struggles to find places to rent.

In the good old days the dog wouldn't need to rent. Fido could get a 110% IO non status mortgage.

I was thinking about this earlier.

The one thing above house prices on the crazy tree? Excess credit. PREDATORY LIAR LOANS

All businesses charge more because people have spending power that they wouldn't otherwise have without the ability to borrow (on revolving credit or fixed term loans) for anything and everything.

..//...

Houses were subject to excess lending and then rules allowing speculation on top.

The details of the knock-on effects of excess credit need a book to explain, not a forum.

Corrected for accuracy.

Can they not just rent the dogs out?

Sounds like a business opportunity, hows about the tagline 'Just add food', so much a month with all servicing (vets bills - not anything weird) included.

Worked for cars, why not dogs.

an estate agent once tried to charge me 90 quid to credit check my cat!

I agree on house prices affecting everything,

I watched two docs on bbc one about the punk movement and its origins in london. Absolutely no way a bunch of kids full of energy could go to london and start something now. how would they rent the space to play?

I watched a doc about david hockney and groups of young british artists going to london and starting art movements with no money but bags of energy. Could you imagine groups of penniless artists converging on london and starting new things now

unless you have very rich parents your chances of following a creative path are pretty unlikely.

Future generations will probably look upon this period as a dark time for creativity. i know years ago people were poor when they started bands and such but you could also rent / borrow space cheap to pursue things. how could you practise in a garage when a garage in london can cost 250k ?

landlords sucked the creativity out of the british population to pay for nylon trousers.

The real victims here are probably ferrets

Fiona Macaskill - UWEhouses says:

05/12/2012 at 08:24
I have only had one ferrett in one of my houses: never again! The tenant asked if they could keep a ‘caged pet’. Stupidly I did not think to ask what sort of animal it was and said yes, provided it was not allowed out of the cage. When she left the smell was so bad we had to change the carpet & underlay + curtains. We also had to put two layers of paint on everything and wash all other surfaces several times. Even then the lingering smell of ferrett could be detected – BEWARE!

Why can no leveraged landlord spell for shit, and why don't they check? You're posting on a f**king computer FFS. How much effort does it take to ponder your confidence on how to spell ferret and maybe f**king google it? Given how the latter part of their landlording career seems to consist entirely of writing "But it's not fair!" letters to the world and his wife I would have thought that quality of written communication was a core competency :rolleyes:

That'd have been a few quid from a daily mail article right there. Ripe for a mash article certainly! Edited by Frugal Git

I agree on house prices affecting everything,

I watched two docs on bbc one about the punk movement and its origins in london. Absolutely no way a bunch of kids full of energy could go to london and start something now. how would they rent the space to play?

I watched a doc about david hockney and groups of young british artists going to london and starting art movements with no money but bags of energy. Could you imagine groups of penniless artists converging on london and starting new things now

unless you have very rich parents your chances of following a creative path are pretty unlikely.

Future generations will probably look upon this period as a dark time for creativity. i know years ago people were poor when they started bands and such but you could also rent / borrow space cheap to pursue things. how could you practise in a garage when a garage in london can cost 250k ?

landlords sucked the creativity out of the british population to pay for nylon trousers.

To be a young British Artist you've now got to fund your way through Uni, and unless you can get some sort of assistance, I can't see many hugely talented sink estate kids funding their way through that amount of debt, to persue what could be a very low paid career. Then, if you want to be in London, find a way to pay for it. My fear is it's only going to be the richer, but not necessarily more talented, providing our arts. My other half is a writer and recognises there is no way he could have succeeded starting out now. Back in my (80's) punk days, rent wasn't always the issue, you could squat in some really crap areas (that would now cost you *cough*, about half a million for an ex LA flat, and they're still crap). All we're left with is Hipsters with beards and walking sticks eating their dinner out of a pint glass, thinking they're cutting edge. Edit: I realise there is a world outside London, which is just as well.

Is London too rich to be interesting http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/london-is-no-longer-manageable-for-musicians

Edited by Starla

A few weeks ago there was something on R4 about British artists, using Tracey Eamonn and Davis Hockney as examples of past success stories. "Gentrification" has pushed most young artists out of London and most are leaving for Berlin, Europe's new culture capital. At the same time, those "gentrifiers" who were attracted to arty parts of London for the vibrant atmosphere are complaining that the area is no longer what it was and has lost its character. Funny that :rolleyes: . Also, some are worrying that the art and culture that attracts tourists to London is being endangered.

They could still do it, just not in London.

They could still do it, just not in London.

unless you have very rich parents your chances of following a creative path in bloody London are pretty unlikely.

Fixed for you.

i know years ago people were poor when they started bands and such but you could also rent / borrow space cheap to pursue things. how could you practise in a garage when a garage in london can cost 250k ?

You practise in a garage that's NOT IN LONDON! FFS!

There's more than one city in the UK.

landlords sucked the creativity out of the british London population to pay for nylon trousers.

Fixed for you.

There's too much blinkered London-centric thinking in this country.

If you can't afford to live in London, then don't live in London, and discover there's more than one place in the country. :)