House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Ebay 20% Off Before 10Pm Tonight.

I used to be a prolific ebayer, 279 purchases but can't remember the last time I used it. Good for spare car bike parts otherwise not as cheap as it once was.

I used to be a prolific ebayer, 279 purchases but can't remember the last time I used it. Good for spare car bike parts otherwise not as cheap as it once was.

Mainly, it would seem, because postal fraud has been cracked down on.

Edit: Are you sure this isn't a code specific to your account Shindigger?

Guest eight

I got it too. I think the trigger might be 100+ items in my watch list, and no purchases for ages.

Dont think so.

Discount applies up to a maximum of £50.00

Dont think so.

Discount applies up to a maximum of £50.00

Yes, it's what TMT has said, I found it from a google search.

Did the surprisingly sensible thing and just stocked up on £250 of various workshop consumables I regularly order rather than get lured into something frivolous, Nectar points too.

Thanks a lot for the tip off.

Yes, it's what TMT has said, I found it from a google search.

Did the surprisingly sensible thing and just stocked up on £250 of various workshop consumables I regularly order rather than get lured into something frivolous, Nectar points too.

Thanks a lot for the tip off.

You're welcome.

"£20 Minimum Order Value""The discount does not apply to the cost of postage and packaging, and can only be used once per registered user. A valid UK registered PayPal account is required, and a maximum discount limit of £50.00 applies. Further terms and conditions may apply."

"£20 Minimum Order Value""The discount does not apply to the cost of postage and packaging, and can only be used once per registered user. A valid UK registered PayPal account is required, and a maximum discount limit of £50.00 applies. Further terms and conditions may apply."

Yes. £50 quid off of a £250 spend.

Sorry if i've caused you offence.

I tried to use it but paypal mysteriously developed technical problems from about 9:40. (TBF it was probably just massively overloaded).

I tried to use it but paypal mysteriously developed technical problems from about 9:40. (TBF it was probably just massively overloaded).

Not sure, I phoned my office this morning anticipating some sort of overnight bonanza, akin to someone putting something random on Hotukdeals, on anything being cleared on ebay and there was no real visible uptick.

Think ebay is struggling significantly. They embraced and promoted an obviously fraudulent, or at the very least non-viable, business (not for the first time) allowing it to dominate so much of the sales. Their sudden disappearance left big continuity gaps in product categories, other sellers had been forced to abandon, and also made things all round look like a huge price hike when other sellers, operating a similar fraud, were frightened into going legit.

EBay's senior management, certainly in the UK, seem to just be journeyman corporate exec types with no real commercial experience. One, of two, big failings, in my opinion, is not making the platform attractive for long established legit businesses. Typically, you're looking at having to sell at a very low retail, to make any sales and then you've got the fees on top. The worst thing though is the amount of customer support required per £ of profit it's off the scale relative to any other sales channel. A litany of minor quibbles, many exaggerated and just an attempt to extort some kind of discount or refund, and the many claims of non-delivery again, most almost certainly fraudulent.

The second mistake is creating a retail environment where most customers are buying only one item from one seller that's then posted to them separately. This means a disproportionate percentage of a £1 a customer spends is going on post, packing and transaction fees rather than the product itself. The golden rule of retail is getting more items in the customer's basket.

On top of all that the volumes aren't that special really, either. Finding a seller on there whose sold 5000 pieces of a product is difficult and 10k+ pieces is very rare. These would be nothing special for a national bricks and mortar retailer and probably not enough to pay the bills. All in all I'm really not sure the future is that rosy for ebay.

Think ebay is struggling significantly. They embraced and promoted an obviously fraudulent, or at the very least non-viable, business (not for the first time) allowing it to dominate so much of the sales. Their sudden disappearance left big continuity gaps in product categories, other sellers had been forced to abandon, and also made things all round look like a huge price hike when other sellers, operating a similar fraud, were frightened into going legit.

Not sure what this means - can you explain?

But other than that:

EBay's senior management, certainly in the UK, seem to just be journeyman corporate exec types with no real commercial experience. One, of two, big failings, in my opinion, is not making the platform attractive for long established legit businesses. Typically, you're looking at having to sell at a very low retail, to make any sales and then you've got the fees on top. The worst thing though is the amount of customer support required per £ of profit it's off the scale relative to any other sales channel. A litany of minor quibbles, many exaggerated and just an attempt to extort some kind of discount or refund, and the many claims of non-delivery again, most almost certainly fraudulent.

The second mistake is creating a retail environment where most customers are buying only one item from one seller that's then posted to them separately. This means a disproportionate percentage of a £1 a customer spends is going on post, packing and transaction fees rather than the product itself. The golden rule of retail is getting more items in the customer's basket.

On top of all that the volumes aren't that special really, either. Finding a seller on there whose sold 5000 pieces of a product is difficult and 10k+ pieces is very rare. These would be nothing special for a national bricks and mortar retailer and probably not enough to pay the bills. All in all I'm really not sure the future is that rosy for ebay.

I do think you're right. I almost think that ebay should set up an alternative on-line auction/store just for larger professional sellers - they could include listings for both in searches so it wouldn't necessarily compete with itself...

... but they don't need to - they are large enough not to care. The sellers take the rump of the hassle, etc. And they know that no-one else is going to be able to set up any serious competition.

Whats in it for them?

Ebay i find gets a good price for things. But the listing fees and them taking 10% of sold price is rather steep. I do wonder how people make money selling stuff for about a quid with free postage. I often buy that kind of stuff as no pound shop here.

Whats in it for them?

Ebay i find gets a good price for things. But the listing fees and them taking 10% of sold price is rather steep. I do wonder how people make money selling stuff for about a quid with free postage. I often buy that kind of stuff as no pound shop here.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can make money selling for such low prices. Even if the stock was free.

I can only assume they are desperate to be seen to run a business (the busy fool trap) or are looking to boost their feedback score.

If you sell a small item for £1, does anyone know how much of this money will go to ebay/paypal if you have a business account with ebay?

Add on postage, packing and your time, and this must be a loss making item.

He's just looked and noticed that paypal have took the full amount! eeek!

I`m off to pay pal ,my ebay account states full amount ,but the paypal confirmed payment page/box did have the 20% off amount

Edit all good here did he enter the code ?

I`m off to pay pal ,my ebay account states full amount ,but the paypal confirmed payment page/box did have the 20% off amount

Edit all good here did he enter the code ?

yes, code putnin and discount shown on click onntransaction but fll amount at top..

can not type pn table.