House Price Crash Forum

Legality Of Tracking People With Gps Devices

DTMark

HOLA441

Not talking about, say, Amazon tracking their vehicles, and therefore by inference, their drivers.

But: giving someone something that contains a small GPS tracking device which broadcasts your location to that person so that they always know where you are if you have that item with you.

Apparently, this is not against the law and is not something on which the Police will take action even when presented with the active, working device.

I find that a bit surprising. It seems to fall more into civil than criminal law and there aren't any penalties for doing this to someone.

Though presumably, there would be if you physically followed along five feet behind them wherever they went even if you never spoke to them; that being called 'stalking'.

Do any of our members have any knowledge in this area?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Not a mobile phone. A completely innocuous item with a GPS tracker hidden inside discovered only because it was rattling around and the item felt heavier than you might expect it to be.

How would the item broadcast the location without any way to power itself? A GPS tracker with no network connection wouldn't be very useful.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Or take it on numerous occasions to outside the local police station. Then go for a wander whilst leaving it there for a wee while.

That's should pick up their interest.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest eight

It only needed to last for a week or so.

Mind you she'll need to buy another one now.

Putting it on a bus to Glasgow, or especially leaving it at Heathrow, would have been hilarious.

Yes, leave it somewhere where the feds will have no choice but to do a controlled explosion on it. Then offer them some "intelligence" as to its origins.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Now, that IS stalking.

This is planned. :blink: It doesn;t sound sensible to me, since most people already have a phone which they can switch on and use if they get stuck or lost. To have the car do things like this seems wrong. :wacko:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

This is planned. :blink: It doesn;t sound sensible to me, since most people already have a phone which they can switch on and use if they get stuck or lost. To have the car do things like this seems wrong. :wacko:

Oh. I'm choosing my new car at the moment and it'll have satnav built in. ?

HOLA4425

Recent article in the Daily Wail;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3513619/Man-arrested-GPS-tracking-devices-wife-s-lover-s-cars.html

To quote from the article;

He has not been charged, but was arrested under stalking laws which ban spying on others if it causes 'alarm or distress'.

These are the key terms under the Protection from Harassment Act, your mate would need to show / state that he was alarmed and distressed ....

Archived