House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Daily Telegraph Website - No More Comments?

It looks like the Torygraph has stopped all comments on its site - have they?

The articles that you could comment on have been getting less and less. If they have decided to stop all comments that seems a very backwards step. They hired some guy in the last 18 months to allegedly help the Torygraph compete with the likes of the Mail but now, seemingly, they have reversed all of that?

Perhaps they do not want BREXIT comments, which seemed to dominate their articles, in the run-up to the June election?

I wonder if there's a gap in the market for some kind of universal comment plug-in for browsers, so people could discuss any and all articles freely.

Not sure how it could work, but must be possible?

The Beeb would hate it.

I used to comment on Gruaniard until moderators became over zealous. Can't be arsssssed now and likewise anything worth commenting on is blocked.

Loads of folk complaining about it.

Got to keep on message, that's newspapers, social media, the lot.

Trump and Brexit - very telling what is flying around the airwaves and networks.

Comments have to be banned because you get more truth in the comments section than in the article. It makes the journalists and Newspaper look very stupid.

The hacks at the Tele can now spout their BTL fantasies unimpeded.

I hope they were embarrassed by the generally hostile reaction to much of their published tripe on housing/BTL. Their recent high profile campaign against Clause 24 was spectacularly ill-judged in my view.

I wonder if there's a gap in the market for some kind of universal comment plug-in for browsers, so people could discuss any and all articles freely.

The Beeb would hate it.

That was a topic of interest when the Web first became popular. There were a number of solutions in the mid to late '90s and the start of this century. I haven't kept up with what's happened since: I got used to blank looks whenever I tried to mention anything so interesting beyond the confines of core geekdom.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Geobbels, Hitler’s Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda

The narrative that the establishment wants everyone to follow is beginning to break down, that is especially obvious in the comment section of online newspapers. (The establishment narrative: Immigration, globalisation, EU are all good; the economy is in wonderful shape; house price rises are excellent news; Russia is evil incarnate, USA is wonderful; everything is ISIS fault, no mention of Saudi Arabian religious extremism etc.)

So free-speech is starting to get restricted.

Examples of that are: Fewer articles that people can post comments on (not just the Telegraph, Guardian has started to do this), heavy moderation for people who aren't following the establishment line. Swedish Government blocking external articles that showed the extent of the problems of immigration in Sweden etc.

The Beeb would hate it.

That's a brilliant idea! I hope it catches on.

The Telegraph seems to have been infiltrated by social justice warriors. Once they're in they're incredible difficult to get rid of and they usually push out the 'normals' and proceed to destroy the host. Ref: the Church, Twitter, the BBC, universities, the police...

Got to keep on message, that's newspapers, social media, the lot.

Trump and Brexit - very telling what is flying around the airwaves and networks.

Exactly. No dissent allowed. Re-education is free.

Here's a link to the comments that were removed - https://commentnotfree.wordpress.com/

It's this kind of thing that bugs me - not inflammatory or racist or threatening or insulting, just questioning the journalistic integrity and agenda of the Newspaper, hence it has to be removed :rolleyes:

Not a very convincingly argued piece in support of the yes campaign, in fact it looks a little like a hotchpotch of hastily cobbled anecdotes. It would be a tad fairer if the Graun could find space for similar weakly constructed arguments in favour of leaving, but that’s not the agenda is it?

The paper version didn't have comments. Except for the letters to the editor.

Nothing is stopping you discussing articles here or on most forums.

All this complaining of free speech is insane.

Aha.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/welcome-to-the-new-telegraph-website/

Welcome to the new Telegraph website. Regular users will have noticed our new look and feel on the site since last autumn. Today, the front page of our website and our news stories get the smart fresh look.

It is fully responsive, which means that it looks good whatever screen size you are viewing it on - smartphone, tablet or desktop.

Nothing about the comments, nor of the fact that about 50% of what you see is adverts.

It did give me a toothpaste advert though ("For a healthier mouth": I'm not sure what led to that ...)

There's never been completely free speech. It varies with the times. What can be said now would have caused offence and alarm in 1890, and vice versa. There are a lot of single issue trolls, along with some fine money making scams on newspaper blogs. We have even had a few here.

Is there any journalism left now, was there any in the first place? I don't see the business model for most MSM outlets now, except some websites spooning the chattering classes celebrity and immigrant stuff, i.e. dailymail and dailyexpress.

Wasn't there a time when journalists were ready to be murdered or imprisoned in the pursuit of truth? Maybe I am thinking of comics that have become movies.

The sad thing is the last newspaper with investigative journalists willing to go the extra mile was the News of The World and that just peddled insignificant who is shagging who tripe.

Maybe look further afield......such as English speaking overseas radio stations in Europe and elsewhere, or other foreign newspapers that have unbiased and open views..... ;)