House Price Crash Forum
workingpoor

Tata Pulling Out Of The Uk "the End Game"

Assuming that's true, that's going to be an absolute disaster. My sympathies are with those whose livelihoods are under threat.

When they bought into the UK I heard talk that due to world oversupply of steel their intention was to buy up competition in order to close it down. Looks like the plan is coming together.

Aah oh. Looks like we'll have the remanents being passed around between totally unknown, totally underfunded conglomerates, mixed in with a bit of private equity asset stripping before we finally nail the last nail into the coffin of the British steel industry. Pretty sad :(

Globalisation baby.

Costs far too high, let someone else do it better for less. Start at £28k with no qualifications? :lol: Gravy train over.

As for it destroying the town, perhaps shouldn't have put all eggs into one shitty basket eh?

Dare I say shame it isn't JLR

If the overseas aid budget ever dries up Tata will be shot of JLR in an instant. Much as Ford did in 2008, having lost billions holding the English patient upright.

I do think there is a strategic national interest aspect here.

If it ever came to war again, we might be well and truly stuffed without a steel industry.

thing is it would be against EU state aid laws for the government to buy it. I hope the Brexit campaign make the people in the affected towns fully aware of this (along with what EU regulations have done to the competitiveness of the steel industry) Edited by reddog

Who needs industry when you can build an entire economy out of finance?

This. 79% services in this false economy and doesn't look like going down.

Jeez, that's a lot of fraud, isn't it?

Bad is good, up is down. Etc

Edited by fluteroop

Ah we're just a bunch of p*ssies. First sign of trouble and we pack it in.

The Sauds are dumping oil to win market share.

The Chinese are dumping steel to win market share.

We can win this. Just print a ton of money, to buy the raw materials, then WE DUMP steel on the market to bankrupt the Chinese steel produces. Then Britannia shall rule the waves!

I don't come up here from the off-topic forum very often.

But when I do have a lurk - and read posts from people who are seemingly crowing with delight over the loss of jobs in some of the poorest parts of the UK - well then I feel that I simply must respond.

Despite being brought-up never to wish ill on any person, I make an exception here - and wish a particularly nasty, scabby, pus-encrusted malaise on every single one of you blood-sucking, parasitic, inter-bred, bell-ends.

I further hope that at least 50% of your testicles are - most amateurishly and painfully - removed from their position somewhere below your rancid, flaccid excuse for a nob as soon as is feasibly possible.

And that all medical attempts to stop the remaining stump from turning gangrenous fail miserably.

{....sharp intake of breath...}

[...And out...]

Well, I guess I got that off me chest. :)

See y'all on "off-topic" real soon - and y'all have a nice day now...

XYY

Steel is a strategic industry - a bit like energy - should be kept. The future is uncharted territory and things can and will change.

But when I do have a lurk - and read posts from people who are seemingly crowing with delight over the loss of jobs in some of the poorest parts of the UK - well then I feel that I simply must respond.

Despite being brought-up never to wish ill on any person, I make an exception here - and wish a particularly nasty, scabby, pus-encrusted malaise on every single one of you blood-sucking, parasitic, inter-bred, bell-ends.

I further hope that at least 50% of your testicles are - most amateurishly and painfully - removed from their position somewhere below your rancid, flaccid excuse for a nob as soon as is feasibly possible.

And that all medical attempts to stop the remaining stump from turning gangrenous fail miserably.

[...And out...]

XYY

Couldn't agree more!

Some people are absolute IDIOTS.

[...And out...]

XYY

I put a sad face at the end of my comment, not that that helps ;) Edited by reddog

First visible fruit of the threat of brexit. That is to say, without the threat it would've been in with a good chance.

But now, given the choice of investing in one of Europe's most dynamic economies vs one facing the risk of having to jump through hoops and possibly extra tarriffs, it's a no-brainer for an Indian multinational.

First visible fruit of the threat of brexit. That is to say, without the threat it would've been in with a good chance.

But now, given the choice of investing in one of Europe's most dynamic economies vs one facing the risk of having to jump through hoops and possibly extra tarriffs, it's a no-brainer for an Indian multinational.

As opposed to the industry thriving under the EU umbrella? Being in the EU didn't save the Redcar plant in 2009 or the thousands of jobs the industry has bled since throughout the UK. The idea this boils down to a Brexit threat is ludicrous.

The establishment will be worried on this development. Wales especially will be in uproar should Port Talbot go the same way as Redcar to the point I think there is a danger of of civil disobedience. This could actually tip a lot of Welsh votes towards a Brexit vote hence the talks of nationalisation already. They must be worried.

When they bought into the UK I heard talk that due to world oversupply of steel their intention was to buy up competition in order to close it down. Looks like the plan is coming together.

Im not even sure there was that much thought.

I'd always thought the script for Tata went along the lines of (this is 2005ish) - India is on the way up (It was then. Its not now).

We are great (insert dysfunctional Indian owned conglomerate)!

We can borrow lots of money and buy stuff in the UK - the pupil beats the teacher.

Dumb really. Its been apparently for years that China regards steel as strategic for 200 odd years.

Combine that with China's massive pump up of make work and you have a disaster.

The UK/EU would have been better on planning on sorting dumping rules out.

Or putting money into a businesses that would benefit from cheap steel.

[...And out...]

XYY

I agree with Monkeyhanger.

These sort of changes a fcking tragic and community destroying.

Yes, all eggs in one basket.

Anyone been to London + the SE?