House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Debit Card With A Monthly Spending Limit.

Has anyone come across a debit (not credit) card with a monthly spending cap?

I just had my French card declined and have now seen hidden in their on-line banking that the card has a monthly cap of €2,500 which I have exceeded, although I have adequate funds in my current account where the debit card payments appear.

Is this something peculiar to the French or do some UK cards have this too? My Barclays debit card is limited only by the funds available in my current account.

Not heard of it in the UK.

Nor I, it effectively means that whatever you have in the bank you are limited to what you can spend in a month, although there's always a cheque which the French still use a lot.

Eh, is 2,500 loads of money? I really am interested as to why there would be a monthly cap on a debit card.

They'd argue that it helps keep a cap on fraud, which I suppose it does.

Never heard of a limit in the UK for a monthly spend, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've three current accounts and they all have daily cash withdrawal limits that I think are rather low.

They'd argue that it helps keep a cap on fraud, which I suppose it does.

Never heard of a limit in the UK for a monthly spend, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've three current accounts and they all have daily cash withdrawal limits that I think are rather low.

In this case I paid a large bill, a bit over €2,500 at the beginning of the month and my current account was debited within a day or two, but unbeknown to me my card was deactivated and I only found out today when I next tried to use it.

If my French was better I'd phone them tomorrow, but it isn't so I'll wait until next month, when I'm in France, and visit the branch and ask them to double the limit. A bank account isn't much use if one large bill at the beginning of the month means that you can't buy anything else that month, even if the funds are sitting in the account. I'm pretty sure that they would decline any amount not covered by liquid funds anyway

My visa debit card had a daily limit of $700 in the states. No such issues in the UK.

I wonder why, it makes no sense to me.

Edit: Perhaps we're unique in this country using debit cards for major purchases like cars etc.

Eh, is €2,500 loads of money?

Yes. Though it's also plausible with a couple of major purchases at once. I might've come near it the month I both bought a new bike and spent a week in Amsterdam, if I hadn't had a credit card.

In this case I paid a large bill, a bit over €2,500 at the beginning of the month and my current account was debited within a day or two, but unbeknown to me my card was deactivated and I only found out today when I next tried to use it.

You paid a bill that size with a debit card???

I'd've thought there would be some very good uses for a capped debitcard. Parents giving limited financial autonomy to teenagers, for example. But not for autonomous customers, unless they ask for it.

Could it be that what actually happened is the same as a UK bank stopping your account when they see "unusual activity"?

Yes. Though it's also plausible with a couple of major purchases at once. I might've come near it the month I both bought a new bike and spent a week in Amsterdam, if I hadn't had a credit card.

You paid a bill that size with a debit card???

I'd've thought there would be some very good uses for a capped debitcard. Parents giving limited financial autonomy to teenagers, for example. But not for autonomous customers, unless they ask for it.

Could it be that what actually happened is the same as a UK bank stopping your account when they see "unusual activity"?

Why not? It was either that or a cheque and the card seemed easier at the time.

I have had issues with my debit card and pins being 'locked' recently.

Doubt it's the same problem though.

Why not? It was either that or a cheque and the card seemed easier at the time.

Lesson learned then. Pay by cheque!

I suppose the limit works well for the bank as it limits their liability to fraud if your card is stolen. Although if you are going to regularly exceed this limit I can imagine it will become a huge pain.

I've paid larger here on a debit card without an issue.

Tried to buy a car with a debit card on Friday £11,000, declined but instant transfer from same account was fine.

Thinking about it I did the same for a similar value car; it came up that the dealer had to call the bank which he did, passed them on to me to answer a few questions, and then it went through.

Thinking about it I did the same for a similar value car; it came up that the dealer had to call the bank which he did, passed them on to me to answer a few questions, and then it went through.

You flash git! :( Was it a Roller?

You flash git! :( Was it a Roller?

At 500 miles a week I'd be bankrupting myself buying petrol!

Sensible 55 mpg diesel. I need a new and closer job before I can have a luxo barge.

At 500 miles a week I'd be bankrupting myself buying petrol!

Sensible 55 mpg diesel. I need a new and closer job before I can have a luxo barge.

Go on Frank, You know you want one. It's only 6.8 litres, and does a lovely 13 mpg.

use a credit card with cash back and then transfer the money to pay the card off. 0.5% of all purchases for pulling a different bit of plastic from your pocket. Only time i don't use that is if there is a charge for using a credit card which is really rare.

Lesson learned then. Pay by cheque!

I suppose the limit works well for the bank as it limits their liability to fraud if your card is stolen. Although if you are going to regularly exceed this limit I can imagine it will become a huge pain.

I've paid larger here on a debit card without an issue.

It's got nothing to do with the size of the payment, it's about not being able to use the card to make payments from your current account, or draw cash out of the bank (in France they don't have tellers, it's all done on in branch ATMs) , beyond an arbitrary monthly amount.

I've had the card, and account, for nearly ten years and this is the first time I've had a problem. My average monthly spend on the card is probably in the low hundreds but this month I used it to pay an annual invoice and that has rendered the card useless for the rest of the month despite having money in my account. It's a good job I'm not in France this month as it would have been embarrassing not to be able to pay for a tankful of diesel and explaining it to the Gendarmes. As it happened, I was booking an hotel room on-line and used my wife's card instead.

Anyway, I won't get caught out like that again, any large bills will be paid by cheque in future.

Edit: I've now found out that the "Payment Ceiling" is calculated on the last consecutive 30 days.

use a credit card with cash back and then transfer the money to pay the card off. 0.5% of all purchases for pulling a different bit of plastic from your pocket. Only time i don't use that is if there is a charge for using a credit card which is really rare.

In the UK I use a credit card which is paid in full each month by direct debit, or if there is a charge I use the debit card associated with my UK current account.

I have a French bank account for our Euro spending on holiday and it is the debit card associated with the current account that has caused the problem. I do not have a French credit card.

Guest eight

There's no shame in admitting you're broke Bruce.

Why not ask wish I could afford one if he'll lend you £10?

Has anyone come across a debit (not credit) card with a monthly spending cap?

Yes, it's normal in Germany, but the limit is there for your security, it's not set by the bank like the CC limit (well they set the initial default limit but you can change it), at least my bank allows me to raise or lower it according to my needs.