House Price Crash Forum
Principia

Bbc News - Why Is There A Shortage Of Teachers - Take A Guess At The Main Reason Cited

We're benefiting from this slightly in the far North as we've had decent applicants for some teaching posts, fleeing the HPI in the South East (last 2 appointments were exiting Cambridge and Kent). However, people are quitting in larger numbers and we're finding it impossible to appoint Maths, English and Science at the moment.

Things will only get worse, if the projected numbers coming into the system up to 2022 (800,000 extra pupils) are accurate. Current government have moved from denying shortage to acknowledgment, whilst continuing to slate the profession. Should improvement recruitment numbers no end.

FWIW, I would love to go and take on a role in London, but every time I look at a post, a quick search on Rightmove puts me off.

You'll be losing even more to Scotland soon.

Someone was saying that the very generous public sector pension was an incentive. Probably worth another 20% on wages apparently.

Probably not for much longer!

Someone was saying that the very generous public sector pension was an incentive. Probably worth another 20% on wages apparently.

There are many variants of 'public sector pension'. The Teachers Pension scheme was almost completely self funding until recently, however I doubt it is now. I believe it had a shortfall of less than 4% in its costs as little as five years ago. It has been changed/modified/worsened over the last ten years and for new entrants its not anything like as good as it used to be. A combination of poor pay and low take up is going to destroy its ability to self fund which means it will start to become an increasing burden on the state who underwrite it.

Northernsoul: - don't give up hope. The upside of the teacher shortage is that if you can hang on in there you will become an increasingly scarce and valuable commodity. I think the crisis is far worse than most people realise so hopefully your demographic will benefit in the near future.

Im afraid I am unable to quote and unfortunately fit into Dougless's middle band of teachers. I want to leave teaching but as Dougless mentioned find it hard to visualise anything else after so many years. Any advice from teachers or non teachers would be much appreciated on this.

Ten years ago, I was the enthusiastic science teacher that scoffed when I was warned that over 50% of teachers quit within 5 years. Unfortunately, I've added to that statistic as I quit after 4 years. Actually, I haven't quit teaching, just changed country! Obviously, it depends on your personal circumstances in the UK but it's not as difficult as you might fear to start a new life abroad. I teach English at a public school in Taiwan and love my job over here.

Perfect storm on the way. Hospitals and schools are in trouble. And no cash to buy these people off with. And soon they won't be able to blame it all on Europe.

There are many variants of 'public sector pension'. The Teachers Pension scheme was almost completely self funding snip

no it wasnt.

There are many variants of 'public sector pension'. The Teachers Pension scheme was almost completely self funding until recently, however I doubt it is now. I believe it had a shortfall of less than 4% in its costs as little as five years ago. It has been changed/modified/worsened over the last ten years and for new entrants its not anything like as good as it used to be. A combination of poor pay and low take up is going to destroy its ability to self fund which means it will start to become an increasing burden on the state who underwrite it.

Northernsoul: - don't give up hope. The upside of the teacher shortage is that if you can hang on in there you will become an increasingly scarce and valuable commodity. I think the crisis is far worse than most people realise so hopefully your demographic will benefit in the near future.

Call me contrarian but I'm planning on becoming a teacher in the early 2020s when the biscuit wheels fall off my current gravy train.

Perfect storm on the way. Hospitals and schools are in trouble. And no cash to buy these people off with. And soon they won't be able to blame it all on Europe.

Hospitals are in trouble due to the cult of rentierism (PFI etc). Incredible the government is about to compound the error by allowing the rent extractors into schools. (Academies).

Only this week we saw an academy chain stripped of its schools. The Executive Headmaster on £120K no less

Edited by RentierParadisio

and the NUT vote to not support British culture in schools, instead, they want to teach multiculturalism...which hasnt worked, isnt working and some communities are actively against it...bangs head on wall.

and the NUT vote to not support British culture in schools

Modern British culture = hpi, 'easy monthly payments and celebrity and banker worship. Whatever you envisage as the halcyon days of a pie and a pint after working down t'mine are long gone.

I can just see the daily assembly comprised of singing hymns thanking Krusty, Amy Childs and Mark Carney for the fruits they bestow on us to the theme tune of homes under the hammer. All sponsored by Wonga naturally.

and the NUT vote to not support British culture in schools, instead, they want to teach multiculturalism...which hasnt worked, isnt working and some communities are actively against it...bangs head on wall.

The teaching unions haven't done themselves any favours in all of this.

Modern British culture = hpi, 'easy monthly payments and celebrity and banker worship. Whatever you envisage as the halcyon days of a pie and a pint after working down t'mine are long gone.

I can just see the daily assembly comprised of singing hymns thanking Krusty, Amy Childs and Mark Carney for the fruits they bestow on us to the theme tune of homes under the hammer. All sponsored by Wonga naturally.

Made me chuckle. Because it's true.

British culture = debt worship. It's all gone a bit "They Live" hasn't it? In fact, you could say that America's present is our future. Their 1980s our present, without the affordable housing.

Edited by fluteroop

Made me chuckle. Because it's true.

British culture = debt worship. It's all gone a bit "They Live" hasn't it? In fact, you could say that America's present is our future. Their 1980s our present, without the affordable housing.

If only that WAS their gripe:

Christopher Denson, an NUT representative from Coventry, told his fellow teachers: “We need to fight to reject this notion of British values, to fight for notions of human values and human rights. We have to stand together across communities to bring down barriers, bring down borders, to say no to Islamophobia, no to anti-Semitism, no to fascism and any form of racism.”

He said he was uncomfortable using the term “fundamental British values” in the classroom when many of his pupils were from families who had emigrated from countries within the former British Empire.

You would think a teacher would understand that Islamophobia is fully justified in terms of being afraid of being on the end of a fatwah.

You would also think a teacher would know that many people from the colonies love and cherish the British culture above, that was why they moved here.

If only that WAS their gripe:

Christopher Denson, an NUT representative from Coventry, told his fellow teachers: We need to fight to reject this notion of British values, to fight for notions of human values and human rights. We have to stand together across communities to bring down barriers, bring down borders, to say no to Islamophobia, no to anti-Semitism, no to fascism and any form of racism.

He said he was uncomfortable using the term fundamental British values in the classroom when many of his pupils were from families who had emigrated from countries within the former British Empire.

You would think a teacher would understand that Islamophobia is fully justified in terms of being afraid of being on the end of a fatwah.

You would also think a teacher would know that many people from the colonies love and cherish the British culture above, that was why they moved here.

Personally I would rather schools simply concentrated on the following. Literacy, maths, sciences, technology, art, economic awareness and most importantly of all *encouraging critical thinking without bringing any sort of politics* into it. I've literally no idea what the culture is of any country any more other than worshipping corporate cults like Starbucks and aspiring to materialism.

Edit to add art and also it'd. Be good if we encouraged genuine fitness rather than taking them to maccas after a trip to wimpole hall.

Edited by Frugal Git

The teachers pension scheme is a completely unfunded, pure Ponzi scheme. No idea how it can continue to provide generous final salary pensions to the pre-Boomer and Boomer ex-teachers for 30+ years while the real wages of the current teachers paying in are falling. I guess it can't. Worth taking into account the likelihood of the scheme actually paying out when adding its value onto the wage.

Personally I would rather schools simply concentrated on the following. Literacy, maths, sciences, technology, art, economic awareness and most importantly of all *encouraging critical thinking without bringing any sort of politics* into it. I've literally no idea what the culture is of any country any more other than worshipping corporate cults like Starbucks and aspiring to materialism.

Edit to add art and also it'd. Be good if we encouraged genuine fitness rather than taking them to maccas after a trip to wimpole hall.

This

I'll go through this statement giving my opinions on the points raised.

Christopher Denson, an NUT representative from Coventry, told his fellow teachers: We need to fight to reject this notion of British values, to fight for notions of human values and human rights. We have to stand together across communities to bring down barriers, bring down borders, to say no to Islamophobia, no to anti-Semitism, no to fascism and any form of racism.

He said he was uncomfortable using the term fundamental British values in the classroom when many of his pupils were from families who had emigrated from countries within the former British Empire.

RED: Human values and human rights, huh? Ok. So the right of Palestinians to not be obliterated by settler colonies of "God's chosen people", for example? The right of Britons to have adequate basic shelter without slaving their entire, sad lives for it? Hmm?

DARK ORANGE: Totally agreed, as long as anti-semitism is not confused with criticism of God's Chosen People and their fascist, racist, murderous regime and usurping of Western democracies.

LIME: Fascism eh? We must not tolerate any sort of authoritarian, unelected, irremovable powers within our society, such as the Bank of England or ECB or the corporate supremacy above our governments generally. Agreed.

VIOLET: Agreed. We must stand up as one against the brainwashers of people: Namely mainstream media and other right-wing corporo-fascist sponsored information outlets. We must realise that there is not going to be a fatwah or widespread suicide bombing/beheading campaign, before the right-wing (fascist) media tell us otherwise and make us hate another person simply because they say things WE DON'T LIKE, or believe in Gods that WE don't. Let me be clear on this: Any terrorist or religious fundamentalist who wishes to cause harm should have the book thrown at them. Everything else is FREE THOUGHT.

It all looks a bit like free speech is being demonised, doesn't it? Very fascist of the schools to confuse kids into silently accepting Debt (and the Son of Debt: The Supra-national Corporation) as their God like this, wouldn't you say?

NB: Capitalism dies when capital dies to be replaced by debt, debt debt. This is not a politically motivated post. This is the world through my eyes.

Edited by fluteroop

snip

VIOLET: Agreed. We must stand up as one against the brainwashers of people: Namely mainstream media and other right-wing corporo-fascist sponsored information outlets. We must realise that there is not going to be a fatwah or widespread suicide bombing/beheading campaign, before the right-wing (fascist) media tell us otherwise and make us hate another person simply because they say things WE DON'T LIKE, or believe in Gods that WE don't. Let me be clear on this: Any terrorist or religious fundamentalist who wishes to cause harm should have the book thrown at them. Everything else is FREE THOUGHT.

snip

not sure where you are coming from with this. maybe we agree, not sure.

From my point of view, Islamophobia is a made up term thrown at people who make comment about Islam NOT being a religion of peace, or they make the comment that not all Islamists are bombers, beheaders, peados etc etc.

The point being is that there is NO general attack on Islamic communities, that there is little or no backlash every time the Islamists do something bad ( daily around the World), yet to criticise Islam at all in public is to receive the backlash of racist or islamophobe.

Islamophobia is an attack on free speach, and nothing to do with attacks on Muslims.

We dont need this BS taught in our schools, specially when we have culturally sealed Islamic schools who teach the exact opposite of British values...Free Speech, religious curiosity and tolerance of others among other things that made our nation actually great.

not sure where you are coming from with this. maybe we agree, not sure.

From my point of view, Islamophobia is a made up term thrown at people who make comment about Islam NOT being a religion of peace, or they make the comment that not all Islamists are bombers, beheaders, peados etc etc.

The point being is that there is NO general attack on Islamic communities, that there is little or no backlash every time the Islamists do something bad ( daily around the World), yet to criticise Islam at all in public is to receive the backlash of racist or islamophobe.

Islamophobia is an attack on free speach, and nothing to do with attacks on Muslims.

We dont need this BS taught in our schools, specially when we have culturally sealed Islamic schools who teach the exact opposite of British values...Free Speech, religious curiosity and tolerance of others among other things that made our nation actually great.

We agree mate (I think anyway, it may come down to our deciphering of a certain terminology) Intolerance of freedom of thought, even if that thought is offensive to religious types, or ANY types, is fascism. There are true "Islamophobes" though. Like this guy in link below and several hundred thousands of Brits like him. I'd class the phrase as relevant to those irrationally afraid of Muslims. As any phobia is an irrational fear. It's all about opinions. My opinion is that fascists have a right to exist, but I have a right to oppose them by equal token. And don't get me wrong, the Muslims (if you can call them that eh) that typically scare people into subservience to spawn some of these fears are fascists too. As are our corporate armies who bomb the typically Muslim countries on false pretences, to bully them into debt-slavery or to steal resources, or simply to grow their economies, eh Murica? So therefore, I understand why some want to blow us up, but I strongly oppose that action, as I do the bombing, theft of their homes.

Edited by fluteroop

You'll be losing even more to Scotland soon.

There aren't that many jobs in Scotland - believe me, most of us are looking.

There aren't that many jobs in Scotland - believe me, most of us are looking.

This. A relative has been teaching for five years. Only just been given a perm offer of contract, but only when a job happens to become available. In work just now, but from pillar to post, no security.

Edited by fluteroop

They will if we Brexit.

Imagine all the things they can unburden themselves with.

House prices at these levels are slowly going to destroy the ambition of every non executive working individual who doesn't already own one (I'll ignore age). No job is immune.

At least finally it's beginning to be acknowledged as an issue outside of this site. The point of being a cassandra is that it takes a long time for the world to catch up with you.

Totally agree.

Jeeezussss ---- I have been on this site & been a "Cassandra" for 15 years -- and I am just beyond ASTONISHED how things can POSSIBLY be as they are now..... Just ASTONISHED. :rolleyes:

Edited by eric pebble

I heard a female stand-up comic (who's name I didn't catch) on the radio the other day saying her training ground was as a science teacher. One day she realised she may as well get paid to be a stand-up comedian as it would be easier and that was what she was doing every day anyway. She said the hecklers she got as a stand-up were child's play to deal with compared to the children when she was a teacher! :)

I heard her too. Can't remember the name either.

There was more to her story. She had always wanted to perform, and the teaching was just bowing to parental pressure to get a 'real' job. So it was just getting her life back on track. And as for the detail, well, she's a comic, of course she's going to make a good story of it.