House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Hyperloop Coming To Europe - Could Change The Whole Idea Of Where People Live And Where People Work?

oh great. a transport system as fast as a plane, which any nutter can derail with a lorry driven into a pylon.

just what europe needs when it's on the cusp of civil war anyway...

Hmm until the UK can sdort out productivity and reduce pay + conditions for railworkers to reduce travel cost then I would not bother.

Somehow one suspects that if it was introduced anywhere in the UK it would turn out something like the Channel Tunnel with tens of thousands of people at one end trying to get to the other end.

Don't ask how that might happen it's the UK where things happen that seem stranger than fiction. Nobody predicted the crowds of people from overseas arriving from far and wide at the CT when that was endlessly being touted before it was built.

Maybe it'll be built in the eu just to dump people at the entrance to the CT.

Edited by billybong

Meetings run using VR/AR will reduce the need to travel anyway imo

It will also reduce the need to employ people in high cost of living western countries - if someone can work remotely from 100 miles away, they can be replaced by someone much cheaper 5000 miles away.

Edited by goldbug9999

oh great. a transport system as fast as a plane, which any nutter can derail with a lorry driven into a pylon.

Not watched the news for a few days. So we're literally on the cusp of war? Who's going to be fighting?

All the evidence is that people want to be in big cities and fast transport does nothing to slow down the trend.

Agree.

Plus Cameron/Osborne cant even manage to fill in a few potholes in our decrepit roads, upgrade existing rail systems or build a bog standard nuclear power reactor so I 100% g/tee this is well beyond their myopic mental grasp.

It will also reduce the need to employ people in high cost of living western countries - if someone can work remotely from 100 miles away, they can be replaced by someone much cheaper 5000 miles away.

Or we can all move 5000 miles away

I seem to recall that the high speed rail link between Los Angeles and San Francisco (itself mired in cost overruns and scandals over dodgy economic assumptions) was something like one eighth of the cost of the Elon Musk hyperlink. I'm no engineer but having read a few articles I was left with the sense that the hyperlink is just more over-excitable tech nonsense, a sort of blue sky emperor's new clothes, where if you don't buy into these giddy visions of the future you're labelled as someone who "just doesn't get it". Well, maybe I don't get it, but I'm increasingly thinking that hyper links, driverless cars and armies of nano robots are all just complete b0ll0cks.

I've just completed Robert Gordon's new book "The Rise & Fall Of American Growth", it's refreshing that a respected, economic heavyweight like Gordon comes to much the same conclusion, and that hyperlink is more hype than link. There's a great chapter where he points out that AI and Robotics still aren't able to produce something that, when presented with a basket of laundry, can actually fold the clothes.

But if you don't buy into the whole sci-fi version of future development, then you're left with the sobering conclusion that productivity gains and consequent economic growth are looking increasingly anaemic, which doesn't add up to a blazingly attractive prospect for future generations.

I'm not a massive fan of hyperloop but if you knocked part of it out it would depressurise and all the units would come to a gentle(ish) halt. Elon Musk may be a fantasist in many ways but he is also a brilliant engineer, he would build safety in intrinsically.

The hyperloop is no more vulnerable than existing systems to such interference - drive a lorry onto the tracks in front of a TGV and you could kill scores. In fact, forget the lorry, you only need a Land Rover to cause a lethal train crash.

I seem to recall that the high speed rail link between Los Angeles and San Francisco (itself mired in cost overruns and scandals over dodgy economic assumptions) was something like one eighth of the cost of the Elon Musk hyperlink.

I can't find the source, but from memory it was the opposite - hyperloop would be massively cheaper than the rail link, almost entirely due to the fact that it would require less land purchase along the route.

Having said that, HL sounds like a fantastic idea of course, but surely at this stage it is just that - an idea? I know they are building a small scale test circuit in the US somewhere, but it's hard to imagine that anyone is actually planning a full scale implementation before the technology has actually been proven?

All the evidence is that people want to be in big cities and fast transport does nothing to slow down the trend.

True, but most new fast transport projects are about linking up big cities. Also no shortage of people who would like to work in big cities but not live in them.

But if you don't buy into the whole sci-fi version of future development, then you're left with the sobering conclusion that productivity gains and consequent economic growth are looking increasingly anaemic, which doesn't add up to a blazingly attractive prospect for future generations.

Been thinking about this a lot lately, and this reminded me of it...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125692

People know something up, and its perhaps a reflection of that

My four pillars of why we are seeing living standards fall (in order)

1) Banking/financialization the biggest. Usury in all but name means the bank, as an intermediary, steals a mark up between consumer and producer on virtually everything now.

2) Public sector inefficiency and pension obligations for retiring civil servants.

3) Foreign aid.

4) Importation of certain immigrant groups, or one group in particular who are a net drain.

Foreign aid might seem a funny thing to mention.

In isolation, 0.7% of GDP annually might not seem a huge number. But remember, long run productivity growth is only around 1%. 0.7% is virtually all of that. In essence, on a per capita level, it ensures that the economy can never grow. All growth is simply sent abroad.

Half of our 'growth' is simply coming from a bigger population. The rest, if inflation were counted properly, would be shown to be a fraud. We dont as individuals benefit from it.

I can't find the source, but from memory it was the opposite - hyperloop would be massively cheaper than the rail link, almost entirely due to the fact that it would require less land purchase along the route.

Having said that, HL sounds like a fantastic idea of course, but surely at this stage it is just that - an idea? I know they are building a small scale test circuit in the US somewhere, but it's hard to imagine that anyone is actually planning a full scale implementation before the technology has actually been proven?

True, but most new fast transport projects are about linking up big cities. Also no shortage of people who would like to work in big cities but not live in them.

Isnt california overdue the 'big one' anyway. (earthquake)

If I were president Trump :lol: , id give Coastal california from San Francisco to mexico. Most the population speaks spanish and the hollywood types are liberal crazies. As theres nothing much inland and California is so big I cant see it disrupting peoples daily lives much. No one commutes from Vegas (the nearest big town) to LA.

Isnt california overdue the 'big one' anyway. (earthquake)

If I were president Trump :lol: , id give Coastal california to mexico. Most the population speaks spanish and the hollywood types are liberal crazies. As theres nothing much inland and California is so big I cant see it disrupting peoples daily lives much. No one commutes from Vegas to LA.

The Hyperloop could easily become the next big thing after bullet trains. It’s a tube-based transportation system, in which pressurized passenger pods are accelerated through reduced-pressure tubes, which enables them to develop speeds as high as 760 miles per hour.

"A tube-based transportation system" :lol:

It's not even an original idea. Saddam Hussein thought of it in the 80s/90s and built them up the side of mountains. They were manufactured in the UK and exported there but when it came to the crunch everyone denied it - they might even use some of those old parts for the "Hyperloop".

Maybe that's why they're called "the next big thing after bullet trains", what?, missile trains? You can keep the "pressurized passenger pods" at 760 miles per hour thank you very much.

Edited by billybong

It's not even an original idea. Saddam Hussein thought of it in the 80s/90s and built them up the side of mountains. They were manufactured in the UK and exported there but when it came to the crunch everyone denied it - they might even use some of those old parts for the "Hyperloop".

Scud missile launchers?

Scud missile launchers?

I think they were referred to as Babylon Superguns/Spaceguns.

Not scud deliverers and I don't think they were ever completed never mind used and possibly they weren't ever capable of being used. Tubes/parts built in the UK were discovered and were prevented from being exported and also preventing the project being completed. A national scandal at the time.

Maybe the name will be an inspiration - Hyperloop supergun trains?

Edited by billybong

I was supposed to be going to work by jet pack by now, according to tomorrows world