House Price Crash Forum
reddog

Economic Indicator: Shops Pretty Empty This Easter Saturday Afternoon

Back visiting family in the Midlands. Went to a "strip mall" that we regularly go to (Ventura Park, Tamworth). The traffic getting into this place and getting a park space has raised my blood pressure noticeably in the past!!

Today it was pretty quiet. No problem getting a parking space.

Admittedly

-it wasn't great weather today

-we got there at 15.30, so people could have got there earlier

-Easter isn't really a shopping holiday in the same way as Christmas

-people may have preferred to spend time with family doing something less commercial

But:

-I have seen this place way busier on many nondescript Saturday afternoons in the past

-there were tons of Easter eggs left in Marks and Spencer at 5pm

-it's unusual for modern British people to turn down the chance of a spot of retail therapy if they have the cash

-the car park was practically tumble weed by 6pm (shops stay open till 8pm)

Edited by reddog

Waitrose was absolutely packed at 3pm today

yes to be fair it is a little anecdotal on my side (sadly the anecdotal forum doesn't get used much).

I'm not claiming to be the experia footfall index, but the retail trade does seem to be patchy to me

The inlaws were up today and commented that it was strangely quiet in Sheffield centre.

Image2.png

Beneath: One Foot in the Grave. A classic episode.- Bank holiday traffic jams - nothing changes! LOL LOL

Just think this episode is dated 1992. That's 24 years ago!

Jump to 20:50 for a quick mention of "Recession, What Recession?" Should have bought 100 houses back in 1992 doh!

Edited by 200p

Love these sort of hpc bellwether threads.

Walked past my local greggs at about ten am and it had one person in there.

I was shocked bearing in mind there is normally a queue of three or four people this represents a clear economic slowdown of 66-75%.

House prices traditionally lag this index by 4-5 weeks which means we can accurately put the crash at end of April beginning of may.

Perversely greggs pasty prices are likely to remain unchanged throughout.

Love these sort of hpc bellwether threads.

Walked past my local greggs at about ten am and it had one person in there.

I was shocked bearing in mind there is normally a queue of three or four people this represents a clear economic slowdown of 66-75%.

House prices traditionally lag this index by 4-5 weeks which means we can accurately put the crash at end of April beginning of may.

Perversely greggs pasty prices are likely to remain unchanged throughout.

Hardly surprising really since many of these sandwich establishments offer a service to the workers providing food during their lunch break, for all those who do not plan ahead and make an effort to make their own that is,(put the saved money towards repayment of debt).

Should think the shops will be extra quiet today.....people spending much valued time with friends and family doing enjoyable things that don't cost money.

Guest eight

My small provincial town has a new complex opening over the next few days containing a multiscreen cinema, Bella Italia, Nandos, Purple Pig, Prezzo and a few others besides. I'm fascinated to see how it fares.

My small provincial town has a new complex opening over the next few days containing a multiscreen cinema, Bella Italia, Nandos, Purple Pig, Prezzo and a few others besides. I'm fascinated to see how it fares.

I am sure they will do very well in areas where either people can't think or do things for themselves, or areas where people have the money but no time to do things for themselves....... ;)

The inlaws were up today and commented that it was strangely quiet in Sheffield centre.

Sheffield city centre has been wrecked. The Moor is a complete mess with empty buildings top and bottom, there has been no coherent plan for the city centre for decades and it never responded to Meadowhall. I doubt the new Cinema complex will help to revitalise it and then there's the parking issue/transport issue. Stopping the buses running up and down slowly killed it.

Image2.png

Beneath: One Foot in the Grave. A classic episode.- Bank holiday traffic jams - nothing changes! LOL LOL

Just think this episode is dated 1992. That's 24 years ago!

Jump to 20:50 for a quick mention of "Recession, What Recession?" Should have bought 100 houses back in 1992 doh!

There's still awful bank holiday traffic jams except now they've become far worse and far more widespread throughout the country (that episode was/is exceptionally funny as well as very apt). Not only that but when you do reach your destination there's even fewer places to park than in those days as they've extended the parking restrictions and at any rate everyone else has already arrived first. The congestion is far worse - one even has to pay to enter some areas these days.

People thought it was bad back then but just look at it now - that recession didn't end they just went more and more into debt.

Cadbury strenuously avoiding the word easter - pc daftness run riot. Clearly they're still using the old egg shaped chocolate moulds just to save money.

Edited by billybong

Maybe it's cos everyone has to pay so much for housing (especially now Roz & Co are increasing rents) there's nothing left over to spend.

Also round here it's the same as usual as all those out duiring the day are retired or on benefits so just the normal chavvy fat people waddling along and a surfeit of invalid carriages and people with sticks who seem to run along quite nicely.